HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 12:48 AM

Quote:
.. that building on the Corner of James & Hunter (bus stops in front) could be levelled to make way for another by the Y.
Pretty sure I heard the building was designed to have ~10 stories added on top. They just started with one for some reason

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 5:58 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this yesterday morning
Hamilton, September 4th by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 3:59 PM

Taken today. This thing is about to start flying up, you can see that they are just about to start pouring the main residential floors.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 9:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Thanks for all of the photo updates!

I'm excited about this project; it's gonna have such a profound transformation for the area.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 9:15 PM

I noticed last week you can see it from Sam Lawrence Park.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Thanks for all of the photo updates!

I'm excited about this project; it's gonna have such a profound transformation for the area.
Yeah, I hope the several hundred new residents that this building will add will put pressure on the YWCA and YMCA to clean up their act. I appreciate the work that those two organizations do for the less fortunate, but something needs to be done about the amount of garbage left around those two buildings. I suspect these new residents will complain quite a bit to by-law and we'll notice an improvement.

That and just this buildings shear size is going to make Hamilton feel quite big city when walking north up James

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 4:47 PM

Litter in this city is atrocious and frankly the city should be embarrassed. It's only gotten worse since the pandemic (labour shortage, lack of strategy, homeless clutter) and unless the city allocates more money to simple strategies like keeping underpasses, parks and trails clean on top of tourist areas (whatever that means), it will just stay the same.

Was recently in Calgary (lived there for 7 years) for work, and yes that city is much better run than ours, but still the difference in visual appeal of the downtown is night and day when you don't have litter everywhere. No wonder our reputation.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 5:32 PM

Moving to KW, the difference is one of the first things I noticed. So called 'rough' parts of Kitchener are so much cleaner than what you can expect in Hamilton. Perhaps part of that difference is from population, but not this much disparity. Quite embarrassing.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 7:17 PM

Weeds are far more common in Hamilton than elsewhere too - honestly not sure why. Sidewalks are littered with weeds here that in other municipalities would be clean - even for sidewalks in similar conditions.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Weeds are far more common in Hamilton than elsewhere too - honestly not sure why. Sidewalks are littered with weeds here that in other municipalities would be clean - even for sidewalks in similar conditions.
I honestly think it's the quality of the contractors the city uses. Looking at the Pier 5, 6, 7 urban plaza, I was struck by how there were already cracked stones, chipped concrete and more. Compared to being in Toronto yesterday, all the new infrastructure was pristine and amazing everywhere. No noticeable imperfections.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 11:03 PM
Hamilton Historian

Maybe one day we'll have nice stuff..

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 12:00 AM

Hamilton also has a unique culture, many have low self-respect for themselves and their city thus the littering, spilled over garbage, etc. Hamilton also has large debt so there’s that as well.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
Hamilton also has a unique culture, many have low self-respect for themselves and their city thus the littering, spilled over garbage, etc. Hamilton also has large debt so there’s that as well.
I also think we don't realize how much money dealing with the Niagara Escarpment costs the city,

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:20 AM

Our city's decision to splurge on a survey to change citizens' littering behavior through psychology perfectly illustrates our council's ineptitude, as they'd rather delve into minds than deal with the mess on our streets.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
I also think we don't realize how much money dealing with the Niagara Escarpment costs the city,
Honestly the fact that Hamilton’s expressways are municipally owned is a massive drain on taxes too, on top of other problems with the escarpment and the tax base itself. Hamilton owns a larger share of its freeway network than any other municipality in Ontario. Toronto owns a few but it’s massive comparatively, and Waterloo regions urban expressways are provincially owned so they don’t pay a dime for them.

Like a lot of Hamilton’s problems I think it’s a mix of problems. Poor maintenance, poor project management, etc.

I’ve heard that Toronto struggled with its waterfront at first too - my understanding is that Waterfront Toronto does a lot of the maintenance itself and pays extra for it over what a standard city street would be maintained at by regular city departments.

I don’t know what other municipalities do for weed control, but whatever it is, Hamilton doesn’t do it. They don’t do nearly as much garbage collection either.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 3:11 AM

Most of the city maintenance of the streets and properties they own are low hanging fruit. When they need to cut to get money for savings or to fund other projects, this is what goes first. They expect no one to notice or we will deal with it in the next budget.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 11:46 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

New pictures really hammering home just how big this thing is going to be.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
New pictures really hammering home just how big this thing is going to be.
I was always impressed with the scale of this development from the renders provided. I don't think this gets enough praise for its size. It's "only" 34 floors, but this almost spans the length of a block. This will really do wonders to the look of the skyline, but also have a big presence at ground level.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I was always impressed with the scale of this development from the renders provided. I don't think this gets enough praise for its size. It's "only" 34 floors, but this almost spans the length of a block. This will really do wonders to the look of the skyline, but also have a big presence at ground level.
yeah I think it's really going to transform James South as well. I can't remember how many residents this will bring, but something like 600? If the Mac residence is any indication, there will be a very noticeable increase in foot traffic in this area because of it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Like a lot of Hamilton’s problems I think it’s a mix of problems. Poor maintenance, poor project management, etc.
Unfortunately many are losing trust in the City and municipal politics due to decades of poor management and decisions.

This development has to be the largest footprint in some time no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton