HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 7:28 PM

I'm not a pilot either. Does "simultaneous runway ops" just mean the safe operation of two or more runways (not necessarily simultaneously)?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
I'm not a pilot either. Does "simultaneous runway ops" just mean the safe operation of two or more runways (not necessarily simultaneously)?
Obviously planes cannot take off or land at the exact same moment where the runways intersect. They can have planes on them taxiing, etc. at the same time. Here are some procedures:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...4703.htm#8.9.1

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Yes: Simultaneous Ops basically means the utilization of two or more runways at the same time - whether they are parallel or not. In YXE's case, simultaneous ops is governed by LDAs (Landing Distance Available), which is based on a given distance between the runway threshold and the first would-be runway intersection encountered.

To my knowledge, YQR does not have that provision. (As-of-yet, although it ought to.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 8:51 PM

Saskatoon can handle a lot more traffic. I have used both London Gatwick (LGW) and San Diego Lindbergh (SAN) - the two busiest single-runway airports in the world. SAN in particular has no room for a second runway. Both handle considerably more traffic than YXE + YQR combined.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:44 AM
ConstructionPete

So back to the original question, does anyone know yxe's hourly and daily capacity... Must say an amusing conversation

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
So back to the original question, does anyone know yxe's hourly and daily capacity... Must say an amusing conversation
Well, you'd have to ask the tower and IFR controllers that. Lol!!! YXE/YQR though can have an incredible potential number of arrivals/departures within a 24-hour period!

Ok, I give in here, read this! Tower hours for YXE/YQR are as follows:

YXE: March 11-Nov 03: Mon-Fri: 6:00 a.m. - 10:45 p.m.; Sat-Sun: 6:45 a.m. - 10:45 p.m.
Nov 04-March 10: 6:45 a.m. - 10:45 p.m. (7 days/week.)

YQR: April 01-Oct 31: 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.; Nov 01-March 31: 6:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. (7 days/week.)

After our towers close, our Control Zones change from Class "D" airspace to Class "E" airspace. (5 NM radius.) That means pilots, with advisement from Flight Services, coordinate themselves with regards to arrivals and departures without the need for tower services - even though the ACCs (Area Control Centres) are still running - 24hrs/day.

All that said, aircraft departing the same runway normally have a 2-minute departure separation - for a few obvious reasons. Departures on intersecting runways are cleared for take-off after a preceding aircraft crosses the centreline of the succeeding aircraft: No departure time separation required for that. All that is required is proof of separation. Towers (when open) govern separation times. When towers are closed, separation is at the captain's discretion.

As far as YXE's [pre-expansion] terminal capacity is, I believe it is 1.4 million pax/year. After expansion: 2.2 million.

YQR was recently bumped up from 1.3 to 1.35 million pax/year. Yay! (Though future expansion will be well over 2 million/year.)

Divide those numbers by 365.25, and you have your [typical] terminal pax capacity/day. (Except for outsized events - such as Grey Cup.)

Aircraft arrivals/departures: approximately 30/hour.

I hope this helps.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 11:53 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Well, you'd have to ask the tower and IFR controllers that. Lol!!! YXE/YQR though can have an incredible potential number of arrivals/departures within a 24-hour period!

Ok, I give in here, read this! Tower hours for YXE/YQR are as follows:

YXE: March 11-Nov 03: Mon-Fri: 6:00 a.m. - 10:45 p.m.; Sat-Sun: 6:45 a.m. - 10:45 p.m.
Nov 04-March 10: 6:45 a.m. - 10:45 p.m. (7 days/week.)

YQR: April 01-Oct 31: 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.; Nov 01-March 31: 6:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. (7 days/week.)

After our towers close, our Control Zones change from Class "D" airspace to Class "E" airspace. (5 NM radius.) That means pilots, with advisement from Flight Services, coordinate themselves with regards to arrivals and departures without the need for tower services - even though the ACCs (Area Control Centres) are still running - 24hrs/day.

All that said, aircraft departing the same runway normally have a 2-minute departure separation - for a few obvious reasons. Departures on intersecting runways are cleared for take-off after a preceding aircraft crosses the centreline of the succeeding aircraft: No departure time separation required for that. All that is required is proof of separation. Towers (when open) govern separation times. When towers are closed, separation is at the captain's discretion.

As far as YXE's [pre-expansion] terminal capacity is, I believe it is 1.4 million pax/year. After expansion: 2.2 million.

YQR was recently bumped up from 1.3 to 1.35 million pax/year. Yay! (Though future expansion will be well over 2 million/year.)

Divide those numbers by 365.25, and you have your [typical] terminal pax capacity/day. (Except for outsized events - such as Grey Cup.)

Aircraft arrivals/departures: approximately 30/hour.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. That's great information!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
Thanks. That's great information!
Clearly the terminal building in the limiting factor, and it can be easily expanded. It will likely expand several times before anyone looks at the runway.

If you take a look at the Calgary-Vancouver-Edmonton triangle and Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa triangle it is rare that the airlines will operate frequency higher than hourly. They would move to larger aircraft to meet demand. Assume Saskatoon had a population of $1 Million and the associated passenger volume at most you would see Air Canada use two slots for a rotations to Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Toronto, that is a total of 8 slots. You could see Westjet use another 8 slots. That still leaves 14 slots per hour for other less frequent routes.

Not likely since they get by with the Dash on the Calgary-Edmonton route, however Air Canada could up-gage from the Dash-8 to the E190 and then A319, 320, 321 as demand warrants. By the time that happens the Airbus aircraft will likely all be replaced with the new 737.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:04 PM

^ If they actually get off the ground, I fully expect that AC and WS will attempt to crush them with aggressive price-matching. Once the competitors are out of business, it's back to the usual high prices.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 7:35 PM

Can't wait to see the logo they're going to put on the Jet Naked planes...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 2:22 PM

I am really interested to see what the architectural concept will be for the Regina International Airport expansion (when it happens) to the north regarding height. I hope there for sure will be a lot of glass and high ceilings like Saskatoons open concept.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I am really interested to see what the architectural concept will be for the Regina International Airport expansion (when it happens) to the north regarding height. I hope there for sure will be a lot of glass and high ceilings like Saskatoons open concept.
Well, it'll be a "significant" expansion in concert with a 'modern' look to it. The ATB will be about the same height as before; and yes --- I'll bet that the ceiling will be skylit as well.

The expansion will occur towards the northwest. (Initially.) Then towards the northeast along Taxiway "C". (If not initially, then eventually.) The ATB will then be "L-shaped".

If $5 will get you $10, I'd bet that there will be a new control tower as well. For the past 3 years, Taxiway "C" has been uncontrolled due-to-the-fact that there is limited tower visibility along sections of "C". (Even though nothing has changed there for quite some time now.)

I'll find out more about that soon.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 4:40 PM

This will be interesting if it happens

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...008/story.html

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
This will be interesting if it happens

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...008/story.html
We wish him all the best with this endeavour.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 10:22 PM

Just a heads-up here guys:

For you airport/aircraft watchers, the Regina Airport will be very busy with regards to traffic for the North American Indigenous Games. (July 20-27th.)

Inbound traffic should arrive on the 18-19th. Many of the larger aircraft may comprise of: Boeing 757s/767s; maybe even '777s; and/or maybe some larger Airbus types as well. On the 21st, there will be a mass exodus all at once. (Should be good viewing!)

The Main Apron for the '05 Canada Games - alone - was crowded with larger [Canadian-based] CAR Part 705-type aircraft. Next week should be even better!!!

You can bet your asses that I'll fire out a reminder later about this.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:

For you airport/aircraft watchers, the Regina Airport will be very busy with regards to traffic for the North American Indigenous Games. (July 20-27th.)

Inbound traffic should arrive on the 18-19th. Many of the larger aircraft may comprise of: Boeing 757s/767s; maybe even '777s; and/or maybe some larger Airbus types as well. On the 21st, there will be a mass exodus all at once. (Should be good viewing!)

The Main Apron for the '05 Canada Games - alone - was crowded with larger [Canadian-based] CAR Part 705-type aircraft. Next week should be even better!!!

Pictures????? Please!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Pictures????? Please!!!!!
I'm out on my rotation right now --- I'm relying on you guys. If I am able to provide intel with regards ETAs, I'll apprise you as best I can.

Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:

I imagine this will happen at the end of the games as well!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I imagine this will happen at the end of the games as well!
. . . . In fact, I'd bet that the departures will be pretty well --- immediate. Arrivals normally happen in more of a meander; however, departures would be different: they want to get the hell out at once! Lol!!!

I'll bet that departures will begin shortly after any would-be closing ceremonies throughout the night/into the next day.

Arrivals/departures [as it happens at any airport] can be viewed at: http://flightaware.com/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:43 PM

Ugh... As much as I love seeing all the planes, that means a good deal of these will be going over my house.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan