HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
Aren't these the rowhouses Walnut Capital is selling to Pitt? I believe so. There was an article in the PBT. The sale also includes the site on Forbes where WC was about to start construction of its office tower.
You're correct. I had thought Walnut Capital was selling only the Forbes site that was supposed to have a tower, not the Bates site as well.

I wonder what possible use Pitt could have for the Bates site however? It's a little too far removed to even imagine as a dorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I'm really digging the design. This is how you do it right!
I like that they aren't cutting any weird bays into the design and just going with a boxy floor plan. Though I do wonder about the "amenities" shown on every single floor in the windowless core of the building (each floor seems to have 3). I presume they're not going to set up a gym per floor - and shared laundry space for 30-40 units wouldn't take up that much of the floor.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:52 PM

Seriously. It is not hard to make an apartment building look like a repurposed old industrial building.

More, please.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You're correct. I had thought Walnut Capital was selling only the Forbes site that was supposed to have a tower, not the Bates site as well.

I wonder what possible use Pitt could have for the Bates site however? It's a little too far removed to even imagine as a dorm.
The PBT article said that Walnut Capital would proceed with clearing the land prior to the sale, landscaping the property for the enjoyment and betterment of the neighborhood. Maybe Pitt sees some benefit in providing said amenity...until it makes sense to build or sell or swap the property. Like you, I wondered why Pitt would want the land so far removed from campus.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
Like you, I wondered why Pitt would want the land so far removed from campus.
The University Board of Trustee’s Property & Facilities Committee said that the Fifth Ave site would fill a need “for near-term expansion in multiple health science programs ideally suited to this location due to its adjacency with the university’s research enterprises and UPMC.” As for the Bates site, it does not currently have a plan for developing it and will be used for green space in the time being.

These acquisitions are part of Pitt’s overall campus master plan, which involves expanding its footprint throughout Oakland. This is also why they’ve been quite aggressive in purchasing Oakland real estate the past two years.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:21 AM
Ex Houstonian

I hope most of the historic buildings in Oakland can survive their expansion, probably not though...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:13 PM

Of course the open question is what Walnut Capital is going to focus on now that one of their big potential projects has been shelved.

I wonder if we're going to get some concrete plans for turning the Village of Eastside into Bakery Square 3.0.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
New Planning Commission presentation up for July 13. Four items for next week - several of them substantial:

2. CMU is constructing a new health, wellness, and fitness center on the site of the existing building. The new building will be four stories, and 200,000 square feet. The design is fine - typical tan CMU blandness that will mesh very well with the core of their campus.

I'm glad they are keeping the part of the building next to the park. I really like masonry work on it and the green (cooper?) detail under the roof line. Simple details.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 10:18 PM
Ex Houstonian

We finally have annoying scooters in the city, seen 3 near wrecks almost caused by morons on scooters. I was hoping Pittsburgh would never get them. Every city I’ve gone to that has them they just turn into trash and are very dangerous and they litter the sidewalks with them.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 7:35 PM

July art commission presentations are up. It's more substantial than has been the case in past months, with six projects under review (many from the Pittsburgh DPW):

1. Expansion of Frick Park at the Summerset housing subdivision. The actual park design has been reviewed in the past - this is in particular reviewing a new piece of public art by local artist Tim Kaulen. It looks nice enough - shame it's somewhere that no one outside of the complex will ever see.

2. The city is demolishing the 1963 Herron Hill recreation building and constructing a new facility at Robert E. Williams Memorial Park. For those who are unaware, this is the park in the heart of Sugar Top that surrounds the reservoir. It also includes a new basketball court and playground. The presentation is quite detailed - and long. Make sure to scroll to the bottom, because for some reason there's an initial set of crude renderings, but later on there are more detailed ones which actually show the building in proper cladding. It will be a nice community amenity for the neighborhood.

3. Restoration of the Oliver Bath House on the South Side. I honestly do not see why this is being reviewed by the Art Commission. They identify a few locations where there is potential for public art, but there is none yet for review.

4. A new DPW complex in Knoxville built on the site of a previous facility. This appears to be going to the Art Commission due to plans to provide a pedestrian pathway through the complex, which will allow the potential for public art on the rear of the building.

5. Plans for further repairs to the shelter house at Olympia Park in Mt. Washington. They appear to be only asking for input regarding things like color choice at this time. The two options for new window dimensions are both big steps up from the current setup, which seems to have patched in smaller windows at some point in the interwar period(and later closed some window openings entirely in the rear of the building).

6. A review for the replacement for the Highland Park "Super Playground." This is being termed the Super Duper Playground. It's a well-designed setup - certainly better than average for playgrounds, and pays homage to the original with the use of wood and eschewing plastic and metal. That said, something is lost in the new design. Part of the beauty of the existing design is its mazelike element - that children can actually play out of eyesight of parents entirely. The new design has several smaller play areas instead, making seem less cluttered but a little too...safe. That said, my understanding is most of playground design is driven by ADA requirements, meaning you just wouldn't get tons of stairs and the like any longer.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 8:01 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Honestly, the current playground in Highland Park looks way more badass for a kid than the proposal.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Honestly, the current playground in Highland Park looks way more badass for a kid than the proposal.
I 100% agree. But again, my understanding is it's just impossible to build playgrounds like that in the U.S. any longer due to requirements under law that they are accessible for those with disabilities.

Last edited by eschaton; Jul 16, 2021 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 8:29 PM
Ex Houstonian

So they have to make everything more lame for kids because of the .01% that show up in a wheelchair. They could just add a new addition thats wheelchair or whatever accessible instead of making it more safe or boring for everyone else. I used to play on a playground like the one thats there when I was a kid and I thought it was the most fun getting lost in the maze of woodworking and steps.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
So they have to make everything more lame for kids because of the .01% that show up in a wheelchair. They could just add a new addition thats wheelchair or whatever accessible instead of making it more safe or boring for everyone else. I used to play on a playground like the one thats there when I was a kid and I thought it was the most fun getting lost in the maze of woodworking and steps.
So you think it's acceptable to segregate kids with mobility impairments or other disabilities to their "special" area? God forbid that they should ever want to play with friends who don't happen to have any disabilities. Or that being told that this part of the playground (or some other part of "normal" life) is beyond their capability?

Sorry if this sounds snarky, but I have a grandkid with impairments. He gets the biggest thrill from playing with "normal" kids and discovering for himself what he can or cannot do. I guess it boils down to being able to look at the built environment around you with the eyes of the differently abled.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 5:17 PM
somewhere in-between

1714 Buena Vista St. - Pittsburgh Magazine's House of the Week. A Mexican War Streets gut reno, designed by Desmone Architects.

Quote:
House of the Week: Row House in the Heart of Mexican War Streets
This five-bedroom home also includes the rare benefit of off-street parking.
Ashleigh Mitchell | BHHS
July 13, 2021
You can view the virtual tour here, complete with some "nice" Muzak. $698,000!

Source: Pittsburgh Magazine

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 8:07 PM
somewhere in-between

Article about the 51 Bridge St. development in Etna. Desmone is the architect. Way back when, I used to drive past this building daily on my way to / from work.

Source: Next Pittsburgh | Courtesy The AM Group

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 10:18 PM
somewhere in-between

Here's a random one: as part of the airport's modernization plans, Pittsburgh Int'l recently held a ribbon cutting ceremony for its new solar and natural gas-powered microgrid. This on-site power generation plant is the first-of-its-kind in the world -

Source: LinkedIn | PJ Dick - Trumbull - Lindy

Last edited by deja vu; Jul 21, 2021 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Here's a random one: as part of the airport's modernization plans, Pittsburgh Int'l recently held a ribbon cutting ceremony for its new solar and natural gas-powered microgrid. This on-site power generation plan is the first-of-its-kind in the world -
Not entirely sure what that means, but it sounds pretty cool!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 5:17 AM
Ex Houstonian

This has nothing to do with development, but I just found this video and its fantastic if you care about Pittsburgh history. Its super long. And man, do I wish we had such an awesome extensive light rail system today.

Video Link

The video doesn't really start until 3.5 minutes in.

The only place you can glimpse what it was like pre 1970 in Pittsburgh is on Broadway Avenue in Beechview where the T still runs down the street with traffic. I love parking my car and walking on the sidewalk there all the time to see the T interacting with street traffic.

Last edited by photoLith; Jul 21, 2021 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 1:54 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
Not entirely sure what that means, but it sounds pretty cool!
My typo probably didn't help. I meant to write, it's an on-site power generation plant, not plan. Basically, a local power source so that they have more autonomy and redundancy in airport operating systems. Generators at airports are nothing new, but this particular type of generator, with gas and solar capability, is uncommon at airports today.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with development, but I just found this video and its fantastic if you care about Pittsburgh history. Its super long. And man, do I wish we had such an awesome extensive light rail system today.
I remember studying this video (or something like it) in college. Amazing how extensive the network once was.

Last edited by deja vu; Jul 21, 2021 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
This is a big deal for Etna/Sharpsburg. These river towns are right on the verge of blowing up. Projects like this and the Riverfront 47 development (which is being handled by two international developers, who are at a level which Pittsburgh has not seen in quite some time) are signaling big things for the two boroughs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations