HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 11:19 AM

Project looks great. I appreciate the render from street-level perspective which more accurately shows what the average everyday person would see. Would integrate well with the surrounding area and look like it's always been there.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD View Post
I hope there is enough of a buffer between the proposed towers and prospera place to accommodate a larger arena in the future. It sure looks tight to me... Whether they tear it down or just expand/reno it down the road, it seems inevitable they will need a larger arena eventually, given Kelowna's growth rate.
The site plan doesnt show a whole lot of room for expansion. Its been a while since Propsera was full for an extended period of time, as well as the lack of events, I would think an arena expansion is not in the cards for quite a while.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
The site plan doesnt show a whole lot of room for expansion. Its been a while since Propsera was full for an extended period of time, as well as the lack of events, I would think an arena expansion is not in the cards for quite a while.
Not for quite a while but not never. This is why they can’t expand highway 97 because the local and provincial governments didn’t plan for the future. 60 years ago no one thought we’d need a second crossing or a bypass. Now that we need one, there is nowhere to put it. This will happen in 30-40 years when we need a bigger arena. Never planning for the future.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 7:47 AM

We don't need to expand Hwy97 nor a second crossing. We need better public transportation.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaResident View Post
We don't need to expand Hwy97 nor a second crossing. We need better public transportation.
Ummmm, sure, whatever…

Please note I support expanding public transit, but that could be done way more effective with a relocated highway 97.

If not, Kelowna will always be cut in half with a mega stroad.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Double post.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Right. Even buses get stuck in traffic, genius. And you can’t force people to take the bus. If people want to drive their vehicle then that’s their right. Considering electric cars are becoming more and more accessible to the general public. If Kelowna keeps growing we need to be able to move people, emergency vehicles and goods in a timely manner. I don’t even know why I have to explain this to you. It’s common freakin’ sense.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
Right. Even buses get stuck in traffic, genius.
You can implement bus rapid transit, genius.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Right. Even buses get stuck in traffic, genius. And you can’t force people to take the bus. If people want to drive their vehicle then that’s their right. Considering electric cars are becoming more and more accessible to the general public. If Kelowna keeps growing we need to be able to move people, emergency vehicles and goods in a timely manner. I don’t even know why I have to explain this to you. It’s common freakin’ sense.
I see that you are very passionate about people and goods being moved efficiently throughout Kelowna. If there was better public transportation that was more frequent, more affordable, safer, and with better coverage, a lot of people would choose that over driving. If that happened, that would alleviate some of the congestion you're experiencing as a driver, without the need to add more lanes and a second crossing which would cost probably billions of dollars. A single bus, which also shares the same road with your car (even if it's an electric one) is capable of transporting the same amount of people as a few dozen cars. Investing in public transit is also more equitable, as lower income people might not have a choice to drive. If you want to continue spending your life inside your vehicle, that's your right, nobody is gonna yank you out of your vehicle.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I see that you are very passionate about people and goods being moved efficiently throughout Kelowna. If there was better public transportation that was more frequent, more affordable, safer, and with better coverage, a lot of people would choose that over driving. If that happened, that would alleviate some of the congestion you're experiencing as a driver, without the need to add more lanes and a second crossing which would cost probably billions of dollars. A single bus, which also shares the same road with your car (even if it's an electric one) is capable of transporting the same amount of people as a few dozen cars. Investing in public transit is also more equitable, as lower income people might not have a choice to drive. If you want to continue spending your life inside your vehicle, that's your right, nobody is gonna yank you out of your vehicle.
I'm a big fan of transit. I would love to have commuter rail from Kamloops to Penticton, and bus only lanes throughout the city, possibly even a tram or LRT. But it would take a massive transit project to decrease traffic to the point of only needing 4 lanes. Any project would require either using traffic lanes through Kelowna and across the bridge, or an expensive elevated system. That's why Kelowna needs a second crossing. Not to mention that I'm skeptical of convincing even a small portion of the population to ditch their vehicles and ride transit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Right. Even buses get stuck in traffic, genius.
true, so we really should do something about having less private vehicles on the road. incentivizing private transport by adding more and more roads will only make this problem worse.

Quote:
And you can’t force people to take the bus.
true, but you can make it more convenient and useful so more people will want to

Quote:
If people want to drive their vehicle then that’s their right.
no, driving a car is not a right

Quote:
If Kelowna keeps growing we need to be able to move people, emergency vehicles and goods in a timely manner.
all the more reason to improve public transit and get more cars off the road

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
You can implement bus rapid transit, genius.
That’s true. But the current bridge into Kelowna is 2 lanes eastbound. Do you think that’s sustainable for a city that is projected to double in size (400,000 people) in 30 or so years? Not likely. I find it absolutely laughable that you argue the current road infrastructure is stable and will continue to be in 30 years. More buses are needed, of course! But the current highway 97 thru Kelowna is not going to be sufficient down the road.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc! View Post
true, so we really should do something about having less private vehicles on the road. incentivizing private transport by adding more and more roads will only make this problem worse.

true, but you can make it more convenient and useful so more people will want to

no, driving a car is not a right

all the more reason to improve public transit and get more cars off the road
While what you’re saying is true on paper, in reality, both are needed. Road/bridge upgrades and more public transit. The main highway thru Kelowna has a dozen intersections. The max speed is 60kmhr. When the city grows, and doubles the amount of cars on the road, (despite people taking buses, the city AND region doubles in population from may to September) the time it takes to get from one end of the region to another is also going to double driving time.

We can all agree that in 20 years, harvey ave is going to underserve the region big time. Regardless if we add more transit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_427 View Post
I'm a big fan of transit. I would love to have commuter rail from Kamloops to Penticton, and bus only lanes throughout the city, possibly even a tram or LRT. But it would take a massive transit project to decrease traffic to the point of only needing 4 lanes. Any project would require either using traffic lanes through Kelowna and across the bridge, or an expensive elevated system. That's why Kelowna needs a second crossing. Not to mention that I'm skeptical of convincing even a small portion of the population to ditch their vehicles and ride transit.
Right. Kelowna is a very conservative part of BC. A lot of people come from Alberta and love their trucks/cars. Convincing someone to take the bus when it will take the same amount of time to drive (if we don’t upgrade the roads/add a bypass or a secondary arterial - Clement anyone?) will be nearly impossible.

ANYWAYS. Let’s get back on topic! This debate is endless and will just go in circles.

So how bout those condos at prospera place…

Last edited by Repthe250; Sep 21, 2023 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
A large chunk of land that is prime for redevelopment in Kelowna's downtown is currently occupied by Tolko Industries. Speculation has it that they won't be around after their lease on their land expires in a few years.

This would be an excellent blank slate for urban renewal in Kelowna.

http://www.tolkomustgo.com
An update:

https://kelownapublishing.escribemee...cumentId=44846

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 10:12 PM

Westcorp Hotel delayed......again

Surprise, Surprise.

Westcorp hotel delayed again
Wayne Moore - Sep 20, 2023 - Biz Releases

Yet another setback for Westcorp, the company hoping to construct a 33-storey hotel and condominium complex on the site of the former Willow Inn Hotel near Kelowna’s downtown waterfront.

After several delays due to flooding, introduction of the speculation tax and COVID-19, Westcorp appeared before council on Sept. 20, 2022, seeking a fourth development permit for the site at the corner of Mill Street and Queensway.

The permit was granted, but because a new zoning bylaw was to be adopted in the coming weeks, the permit was valid for just one year as opposed to the customary two.

That means a building permit must be granted or the development permit would expire. That deadline is this week, and the building permit has yet to be issued.

Westcorp vice-president of operations Gail Temple confirmed Tuesday it is not prepared to go ahead with the project at this time.

“We are continuing to explore all options, but with no easing in construction pricing and interest rates, the hotel project remains unfeasible,” Temple said. “Our development permit will expire, and any upcoming forward movement with the project will require the consent of Kelowna city council.

“We will announce any news on this front as it unfolds. We appreciate the continued interest from our community.”

The latest iteration of the hotel includes 17 storeys of hotel space, a restaurant on the 18th floor and for-sale condos encompassing the remainder of the tower.

The as yet unnamed hotel has been fraught with delay after delay since the project first came to light in February 2014. The initial plan was for a 24-storey boutique hotel. Some site work did take place in the summer of 2015, but a planned March 2016 construction start was delayed because some elements of the design had not been finalized.

In November of that year, Westcorp announced a further one-year delay to give it time to explore design revisions.

A new design was unveiled in August 2017, featuring a 33-storey structure with 174 hotel rooms, 49 for-sale condos and a 17th floor restaurant. Council approved a development permit despite objections from city staff.

Construction was paused when the province introduced the speculation tax, again prompting a redesign and a new development permit in August 2018.

More alterations were made in late 2019 in advance of the anticipated opening of a show suite and unveiling of the name in March 2020, but COVID-19 shut down the world a week prior, scuttling those plans.

A new development permit was again approved in September of last year, which is now about to lapse.
https://okanaganedge.net/2023/09/20/...delayed-again/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
A lot to digest between the 3 proposals, but one thing is clearr: they each check so many of my boxes and the nice to haves. Adaptive reuse as public space is a great bonus. It seems a no-brainer but I didn't trust it to actually happen.

Before looking deeper, I can say this is a big city, well designed and mature set of master plans.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:23 AM

Wow pretty cool plans probably gonna take 20 years haha

Sad to hear the hotel isn't moving forward again.

Last edited by jackko; Sep 22, 2023 at 6:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbush View Post
Surprise, Surprise.

Westcorp hotel delayed again
Wayne Moore - Sep 20, 2023 - Biz Releases

Yet another setback for Westcorp, the company hoping to construct a 33-storey hotel and condominium complex on the site of the former Willow Inn Hotel near Kelowna’s downtown waterfront.

After several delays due to flooding, introduction of the speculation tax and COVID-19, Westcorp appeared before council on Sept. 20, 2022, seeking a fourth development permit for the site at the corner of Mill Street and Queensway.

The permit was granted, but because a new zoning bylaw was to be adopted in the coming weeks, the permit was valid for just one year as opposed to the customary two.

That means a building permit must be granted or the development permit would expire. That deadline is this week, and the building permit has yet to be issued.

Westcorp vice-president of operations Gail Temple confirmed Tuesday it is not prepared to go ahead with the project at this time.

“We are continuing to explore all options, but with no easing in construction pricing and interest rates, the hotel project remains unfeasible,” Temple said. “Our development permit will expire, and any upcoming forward movement with the project will require the consent of Kelowna city council.

“We will announce any news on this front as it unfolds. We appreciate the continued interest from our community.”

The latest iteration of the hotel includes 17 storeys of hotel space, a restaurant on the 18th floor and for-sale condos encompassing the remainder of the tower.

The as yet unnamed hotel has been fraught with delay after delay since the project first came to light in February 2014. The initial plan was for a 24-storey boutique hotel. Some site work did take place in the summer of 2015, but a planned March 2016 construction start was delayed because some elements of the design had not been finalized.

In November of that year, Westcorp announced a further one-year delay to give it time to explore design revisions.

A new design was unveiled in August 2017, featuring a 33-storey structure with 174 hotel rooms, 49 for-sale condos and a 17th floor restaurant. Council approved a development permit despite objections from city staff.

Construction was paused when the province introduced the speculation tax, again prompting a redesign and a new development permit in August 2018.

More alterations were made in late 2019 in advance of the anticipated opening of a show suite and unveiling of the name in March 2020, but COVID-19 shut down the world a week prior, scuttling those plans.

A new development permit was again approved in September of last year, which is now about to lapse.
https://okanaganedge.net/2023/09/20/...delayed-again/
Really doubt this will ever get built in it's current scale. And I'm ok with that. I like the design but it just doesn't vibe with the rest of the skyline. Same with the Doyle proposal. Hopefully they consider a significant reduction, that location is a bit of an eyesore in a prominent location.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Not sure if I missed it, but does this new development have plans for a grocery store? A new grocery store will be badly needed in the downtown core with all these new tower under construction already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia