HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:16 AM

I don’t know why they wouldn’t be taller.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I don’t know why they wouldn’t be taller.
Because the developer doesn't want to pay taxes on unleased office space? They considered adding two more floors, but dropped them. (They originally proposed upper floor retail, but dropped that too). They managed to lease the offices to Italy's Crossmedia, who operate as Sensea Immersive, known for immersive "edutainment", and the Passport Office (presumably while the Sinclair Centre gets redeveloped). I think the fourth floor offices are still available.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Royal Centre

By me tonight:

Looking at this connective passageway, while it may be efficient when finished, what strikes me is the austerity of it. Vancouver often seems to be heavy into austere design. Now, imagine that in Melbourne.
(That is ... unless I got confused and it's meant for vehicular traffic, or about to be assimilated into the new banking centre at Royal Centre.)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Looking at this connective passageway, while it may be efficient when finished, what strikes me is the austerity of it. Vancouver often seems to be heavy into austere design. Now, imagine that in Melbourne.
(That is ... unless I got confused and it's meant for vehicular traffic, or about to be assimilated into the new banking centre at Royal Centre.)
Everything you can see in the picture was completed in 1973, so it's all over 50 years old.

When the work is completed, it should look something like this, with a big canopy, and a new cafe in the base of the tower.

More images at this link. [Royal Centre]

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 6:24 AM

That Burrard Stn access on W.Georgia is much appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviscon View Post
That Burrard Stn access on W.Georgia is much appreciated.
The access has always been there, except before it did not have the big "T" signs.

I feel that this renovation does not make the space here a lot better than what it had been before. Well, I guess a cafe with sheltered outdoor seating is better than nothing.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy View Post
could they have put in a less interesting building?
The glass walls were supposed to be angled - but I guess that was too expensive !?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
This afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy View Post
supremely banal...WTF! with all the supposed dedication to this street being special, how did the city allow such a deadbeat design?
Hopefully it'll be animated with neon blade signs (which the renderings showed),
but it's now office space above grade, so who knows if a ground floor/basement retailer/restaurant/bar would have the pockets to pay for a blade sign.

The window bays do a good job despite using pretty typical spandrel and glass - the repeating bays have a department store retail facade look about it.
For a mid-block building, the symmetry is also reminiscent of the Commodore Ballroom building (but obviously with less detailing).
I like it better than the Winners/Best Buy building.

Last edited by officedweller; Mar 21, 2024 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
... They managed to lease the offices to Italy's Crossmedia, who operate as Sensea Immersive, known for immersive "edutainment", ....
Quote:
About Us
Crossmedia Canada Ltd. was formed in August 2020 in Vancouver, BC, and is an independent limited company affiliated with Crossmedia Mexico to establish the first immersive art experience using the productions of Crossmedia Group (Italy) in Canada. Crossmedia Canada uses the trade name Sensea Immersive both in Canada and Mexico.

The Mission of Crossmedia Canada is:
“To conceive, design, produce, distribute, install, promote and manage unique permanent and travelling multimedia exhibitions of great cultural appeal, education value, entertainment and originality at an affordable price for our customers of all ages.”

Crossmedia Canada/Sensea Immersive will debut in the Canadian market through the Da Vinci Experience to open June 2021 at their 13,300 sq. ft. permanent facility at the Tsawwassen Mills shopping center, Tsawwassen Mills, British Columbia.
https://www.go2hr.ca/company-directo...nsea-immersive

Not permanent, BTW - until March 2022.
https://vancouversbestplaces.com/van...ci-experience/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The access has always been there, except before it did not have the big "T" signs.
In a way, the 'T' signs may be confusing, but they will just least the unwary tourist into the underground mall where they may get lost.
It would be like putting a 'T' at the Dunsmuir entrance to Pacific Centre (for the Canada Line).

In this case, I think it's just to lure people in, which makes me wonder if they'll be allowed to do so.
The stairs down to Vancouver Centre on Georgia next to Scotiabank have a "Canada Line" sign, but no 'T'.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 9:16 PM

It's really common in places with a bigger underground network to have the transit symbol at many entrances. In Toronto I've often been taken aback at how far through a building/mall I'd have to walk to get to the Subway, following signs. Still, glad it was there to help navigate!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:07 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
In a way, the 'T' signs may be confusing, but they will just least the unwary tourist into the underground mall where they may get lost.
It's really not that confusing to get from the Georgia entrance to Burrard Station. The wayfinding is lacking but that can be easily improved.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:15 PM

I think with the new escalator down to the first basement level it might be more of a linear path to the station as well.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 6:13 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post

Src: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/904-...nce-properties

Oh no, not 7-Eleven and one storey cinderblock building to the south of it!
whoa

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 7:38 AM

Quote:
hasn't that always existed and it's being demolished/taken out?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
hasn't that always existed and it's being demolished/taken out?
In fact, yes, thank you for pointing that out. There has been talk of enlarging the RBC Banking centre on the corner of Burrard and Georgia, and this may well figure into it. (Frankly, I prefer the current building with its four diagonal 'wings' that echo the diagonal edges of the RBC tower, but that's progress. I find the new one a bit overpowering for that corner, and a bit 'meh' but that's just my opinion).

I know we've all seen this render, but I wonder just how much, other than the new canopy (very nice) and new retail all this will enhance that property the way they say it will. And will that passageway remain?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/roya...ade-restaurant

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 2:05 PM

Quote:
In fact, yes, thank you for pointing that out. There has been talk of enlarging the RBC Banking centre on the corner of Burrard and Georgia, and this may well figure into it. (Frankly, I prefer the current building with its four diagonal 'wings' that echo the diagonal edges of the RBC tower, but that's progress. I find the new one a bit overpowering for that corner, and a bit 'meh' but that's just my opinion).

I know we've all seen this render, but I wonder just how much, other than the new canopy (very nice) and new retail all this will enhance that property the way they say it will. And will that passageway remain?
They're not developing the new building for now, just adding the big canopy, and the new lobby and cafe at the base of the tower.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 10:39 PM

Quote:
They're not developing the new building for now, just adding the big canopy, and the new lobby and cafe at the base of the tower.
Which provides hope that a better design will emerge.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you both for the informative feedback. Regarding a better design for the banking hall, I hope that it rises above the (somehow, in my taste) "cheap, plastic" look of the current design proposal.
The angled vertical pieces clash with the rest of the complex. The current banking hall has "fins" that tie it in well with the main RBC tower. I hope a new design will be able to do this as well.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
One scenario could see a new bank building no longer needed. I haven't seen anything about the impact of the RBC / HSBC merger in Vancouver, but they start closing branches and rebranding others at the end of the month. As existing leases run out, we're likely to see consolidation of office space, and probably some bank branches as well.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:39 PM

Several years ago I saw preliminary designs for an office tower on the bank podium site but I'd guess that's not a priority for a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver