HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Also actually enforce parking limits on downtown streets to stop meter feeders (which is cheaper than parking at many lots). That would help free up spaces for downtown visitors. Seriously don't know why they don't go with a license plate system (which I've seen at private lots) and once your 2 hours are up you can't re-pay for that same license plate. I've heard of so many people who work downtown and just street park and go outside every couple hours to "feed the meter". I know you're technically not allowed to do that but I've never heard of anyone ever getting a ticket for re-metering.
In the lots I park in, it's cheaper(or roughly the same) to pay the daytime flat rate than to plug the metre. When I need to drive. $9 per day in the lot, from 6am to 6pm. $2 for 2 hours on the street. I'd need to plug the metre at least 5 times for my entire day.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
By that logic we should knock down a few more buildings and put up some more parking lots. Parking will then get cheaper and people will start flooding downtown.

Or you could realize that daytime parking rates are 99% based on the demand by downtown workforce. Who won't stop going downtown, cause you know, that's where they work. Also actually enforce parking limits on downtown streets to stop meter feeders (which is cheaper than parking at many lots).
Downtown Winnipeg has already lost offices to the suburbs over "the high cost of downtown parking". The reality of Winnipeg is our transit service is beyond poor for what it currently offers and is decades from even beginning to approach being usable.

If the development of True North Square is to be successful in attracting high quality, new tenants to downtown, it will need to include a significant amount of parking, even if the RFP did not require it. Parking is actually even part of the hotel and multi-tenant residential permit approval process so it is foolish to think that True North Square would somehow be different.

Once Winnipeg as a modern, functioning, rapid transit system servicing all neighbourhoods then we can discuss changing parking downtown.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Wouldnt it make sense for True North's hotel to be one that can house NHL business? If I recall, the NHL contract requires it to be a Starwood of at least 4 stars and barring a 4-star Starwood, the best 4-Star+ hotel available.

The teams are still housed in the Fairmont, are they not? Would make sense to get that business in a TN development...
The contract is specifically for Westin first, then Starwood, then another 4 star. With the Starwood/Marriott merger likely to go through, it'll make things very interesting as they both have big loyalty programs and the merger would create the biggest hotel chain in the world.

My money is on either a Westin or a Le Germain, as I've said before Germain and TN/Longboat are VERY happy with the whole process and result of building The Alt together. And I would say that a new Le Germain would be much nicer than the Fairmont, so it would likely still become the NHL visitors' new place.

Last edited by buzzg; Dec 9, 2015 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:13 PM

I know ALT is still relatively new. But when I go by there at night, it seems like most the rooms are dark. As in almost all of them. How long do they usually budget for to get everything filled up? 1 year I think I've heard?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I know ALT is still relatively new. But when I go by there at night, it seems like most the rooms are dark. As in almost all of them. How long do they usually budget for to get everything filled up? 1 year I think I've heard?
Yes it's one year usually. Also, the hotel is extremely energy efficient, so much so that the lights turn off every hour or so, and you need to keep your key on the wall to turn them on... I feel like lots of times people just leave their room lights at hotels on because they're not the ones paying the bill so they don't care. Could make a difference.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:31 PM

Quote:
There are building materials pushed up against some of the windows. I am not certain that all of the rooms have been completed.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:33 PM

Thanks. Could be they are not complete. The couple lights that are on, look like bulbs hanging on a wire. Might just be the fixtures are close to the window. Not sure.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Could be they are not complete. The couple lights that are on, look like bulbs hanging on a wire. Might just be the fixtures are close to the window. Not sure.
That's just the design of the bulbs. The rooms are very modern decor.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:45 PM

My understanding is that Alt is doing extremely well. From the Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle27631627/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 8:17 PM

^That looks like a paid advertisement.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 8:59 PM

Quote:
^That looks like a paid advertisement.
It wasn't. It was just part of the regular travel section. And it actually includes a criticism about the light in the rooms. But, apart from the article, my understanding is that they are doing very well. Was there something particular in the article that struck you as not true?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:21 PM

No, it just seemed like they were touching on all these cool features. But really didn't provide anything in the way of a typical news article. Such as how have sales been, etc.

Sounded more like "Here's a new hotel you guys should stay at." But I guess that's what the travel section is.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 7:11 AM

Quote:
No, it just seemed like they were touching on all these cool features. But really didn't provide anything in the way of a typical news article. Such as how have sales been, etc.

Sounded more like "Here's a new hotel you guys should stay at." But I guess that's what the travel section is.
That's generally what most newspaper travel sections are – information as opposed to news. The Globe clearly marks when an article is paid. They may have comp'd them a room so they could do the review though.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 2:32 PM

So back to TN Square. Has anyone been by the site(s) during the day? How many caissons have they installed?

There's a site trailer on the Carlton Inn site and a shipping container on the MPI lot. Seems like they're settling in. I was catching the bus on Graham last night and didn't have a chance to wander over to look.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 7:38 PM

One that is still visible with a liner sticking out of the ground. From my vantage point I can't tell if the others have been backfilled or just plated over to allow parking for the Jets games. Also the fencing has been reconfigured to allow more parking where they were working.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 7:05 AM

I have it on good authority that TDS (law firm) has committed to taking 6 floors of the office tower.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverUnder View Post
I have it on good authority that TDS (law firm) has committed to taking 6 floors of the office tower.
That will leave a 4 floor hole to fill at 201 Portage if it happens.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
That will leave a 4 floor hole to fill at 201 Portage if it happens.
That building has lost nearly every major tenant it ever had... TD, Canwest, Viterra (and predecessors), now apparently TDS?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:06 PM

When did Viterra vacate? They were still in there about 6 months ago.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:14 PM
BANNED

If they are unable to fill the space, they should look at converting to residential. I could see many people wanting to live there! They could also look at converting some floors into hotel space if there is enough vacant space to make it viable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan