HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 10:11 PM
danylo66

YWCA Saskatoon launches $19M expansion campaign

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/ywca-sa...aign-1.6552269

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
What's also disappointing is that Marquis Downs was shuttered for absolutely nothing.
I do get a sense of schadenfreude knowing that Prairieland is (at least for now) stuck with the old grandstand and won't be getting public money to justify its closure.

Has there been any more news on the Moosomin First Nation's new track? The articles I can find all reference a 2023 opening date, which I imagine is not happening.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 2:44 PM

The YWCA broke ground on a new housing wing yesterday: https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/ywca-sa...aign-1.6552269

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 6:48 PM

The only thing I read was that Prairieland was donating the used equipment to the new track

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
The only thing I read was that Prairieland was donating the used equipment to the new track

And also the dirt, apparently it's a special and expensive kind of dirt. I read they wanted to start construction this year but I drive past the site quite often and haven't seen anything happening.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 9:35 AM

That YWCA infill looks good. (You also get a Baydo update in the video). Unfortunately it's so very necessary as Saskatchewan is #1 again in something, this time in wife beating. I hope for the most part, Saskatoon bucks that trend, so to speak. I imagine this place is an oasis for folks in the greater area, like the Children's Hospital, etc.

Also, the 8 fl office at the top of Broadway is gonna look real sweet. What a fantastic location to go to work! TGIF! Let's go down to ____ for a pint....

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 9:36 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The YWCA broke ground on a new housing wing yesterday: https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/ywca-sa...aign-1.6552269

What a nice pre-hazed sky in that rendering

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 9:08 PM

Twitter is reporting that the tender for the library has been cancelled because the bids were too high. The project has been delayed to 2027. Not sure whether this account is reputable, but this would be in line with what people have discussed here in the past.

https://twitter.com/thinktankSK/stat...862304879?s=20

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 3:33 AM

The report is correct. The tender has been cancelled.

Sometimes, I hate being right. Will rant some more about this tomorrow.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 9:13 AM

I wonder what the PST on construction for this project would cost. Taxes like that wouldn’t have affected Alberta’s latest flashy libraries costs pre-inflation if i’m correct.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 4:38 AM

Library Delayed

Ottawa had the same problem of ballooning with their new central library. But they had the federal government come to the rescue.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
The report is correct. The tender has been cancelled.

Sometimes, I hate being right. Will rant some more about this tomorrow.
It's been two days, time to rant brother

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 12:55 PM

It is inexcusable. The Board, Project Manager, Architects and Engineers should all be turfed from the project. EVERYONE (except them apparently) knew this was going to be well over budget. Tax payers just paid $6 - $8m (just in PM, and A/E fees) for them to draw something that isnt useable. This is a complete redo.

Unfortunately, given current financial circumstances, I can't see this coming back as a "marque" project, but as a much modest project. They'll want to avoid egg on their face a second time, and frankly we need the $ for the new rec center, and DEED (do we know the budget for that one yet? its also going to be waaaaaaaay more than projected).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
It is inexcusable. The Board, Project Manager, Architects and Engineers should all be turfed from the project. EVERYONE (except them apparently) knew this was going to be well over budget. Tax payers just paid $6 - $8m (just in PM, and A/E fees) for them to draw something that isnt useable. This is a complete redo.

Unfortunately, given current financial circumstances, I can't see this coming back as a "marque" project, but as a much modest project. They'll want to avoid egg on their face a second time, and frankly we need the $ for the new rec center, and DEED (do we know the budget for that one yet? its also going to be waaaaaaaay more than projected).
Turfed? That is a pretty extreme response. Should every other company than has designed out a project in the last few years and has had to put it on hold also fire everyone associated with them? If so, you are going to see a lot of people fired. The library has been working towards this for decades. Unfortunately they came forward at a time with a wild mix of pressures pushing up the cost of EVERY SINGLE project anyone is bringing forward.

Unfortunately this isn't a residential or commercial/industrial project where that inflation and those interest rates can't just be passed onto the consumer. Obviously this puts them under greater scrutiny, but they are seemingly dealing with it as best as they can.

It is worth noting that their Board chair is one of the best local architects who has a pretty solid track record, so of anyone, he would be well attuned to the local industry, which likely explains why they had regular independent cost estimates through the design of the project.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 7:01 PM

New Library

The Star Phoenix building is for sale for under $10 million. It is 16,000 square feet larger than the proposed library. Could it be renovated and repurposed into a new library for less that the library's construction budget? The only thing the library folks would lose is the palace they want to build.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 7:09 PM

New Saskatchewan Polytechnic campus to be built at Innovation Place

This is good news from education, economic development & innovation perspectives. I'm not convinced the location is good news from a city-building perspective.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
Turfed? That is a pretty extreme response. Should every other company than has designed out a project in the last few years and has had to put it on hold also fire everyone associated with them? If so, you are going to see a lot of people fired. The library has been working towards this for decades. Unfortunately they came forward at a time with a wild mix of pressures pushing up the cost of EVERY SINGLE project anyone is bringing forward.

Unfortunately this isn't a residential or commercial/industrial project where that inflation and those interest rates can't just be passed onto the consumer. Obviously this puts them under greater scrutiny, but they are seemingly dealing with it as best as they can.

It is worth noting that their Board chair is one of the best local architects who has a pretty solid track record, so of anyone, he would be well attuned to the local industry, which likely explains why they had regular independent cost estimates through the design of the project.
Sure, it’s harsh but when you are off as much as they were, and you were part
of effectively wasting $7ish million in public money on an unuseable design… heads gotta roll…

Doesn’t mean they are bad people. In fact many of the people involved are great people and well respected in the design community.

That said, maybe they weren’t given a clear mandate, or they didn’t know what they were doing (in over their head), or they simply messed up.

But damn, do you really give the same
Group another $5m or so to get it right this time?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
It's been two days, time to rant brother
I think there's been enough ranting everywhere that I don't need to add to the echo chamber. Just disappointing that more credit wasn't given to the local industry, both in their ability to provide accurate budgeting and the availability of capable local designers - it was a totally out of province design team.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 4:19 AM

No Mo

Aging central infrastructure seemingnly neglected forever is the theme for today's Saskatoon. The Arena, library, Star-Phoenix, Kelsey/SIAST/Polytech. Kind of sad. Ironic that one of the proposed remedies is called DED.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 6:11 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
The Star Phoenix building is for sale for under $10 million. It is 16,000 square feet larger than the proposed library. Could it be renovated and repurposed into a new library for less that the library's construction budget? The only thing the library folks would lose is the palace they want to build.
If the library was only about storing books, the Star Phoenix building would be perfect. It has large floorplates and was built to industrial standards in order to support the printers.

But the library is about more than just storing books. The imagined library is more like a community centre that also has a library component. And downtown sorely needs more community amenities, not just because of the number of residents and because the central location makes downtown amenities accessible to residents across the city, but also because the most needy citizens (homeless, jobless, penniless) are disproportionally located downtown.

When you learn about what sorts of events libraries host (social services advising, SGI defensive driving courses, small drama productions) you realize that a building that can hold plenty of bookshelves but has structural support pillars all over the place (as the Starphoenix building does) that would hinder the development of any flexible use spaces is maybe not the right choice. Talk about throwing good money after bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
Sure, it’s harsh but when you are off as much as they were, and you were part
of effectively wasting $7ish million in public money on an unuseable design… heads gotta roll…

Doesn’t mean they are bad people. In fact many of the people involved are great people and well respected in the design community.

That said, maybe they weren’t given a clear mandate, or they didn’t know what they were doing (in over their head), or they simply messed up.

But damn, do you really give the same
Group another $5m or so to get it right this time?
Based on the following blurb it seems like the cost consultants should be replaced, but I am not sure what else you wanted the board to do.

Quote:
From the outset of this project, SPL applied rigorous cost-control measures to provide the highest cost certainty for taxpayers. The steps taken to manage the budget were:

1. Hired two independent cost consultants.
At the end of each design phase, both cost consultants received the architectural drawings and provided cost estimates based on those drawings.

2. Completed five cost estimates between April 2021 and April 2023.
If an estimate exceeded the budget, both cost consultants initiated a value engineering process. This process recommended cost savings options for consideration by SPL, and any changes adopted were implemented in updated design plans before and the design team revised the plans to align the design with the construction budget before proceeding to the next stage. Typically, a project of this scale completes up to three cost estimates by a single consultant.

3. Increased the escalation allowance as the project progressed.
When the cost escalation began increasing beyond historical industry standards, we had our project assessed for inflationary impacts. As a result, we increased the escalation allowance from 3% to 15% of the construction budget. The Building Construction Price Index for Saskatoon for non-residential buildings from Q1 of 2019 to Q1 of 2023 increased by 15.75%.

4. Reallocated the project budget to increase the construction budget.
Construction cost estimates increased from $73.3 million after the first cost estimate to $81.1 million in the final cost estimate. Increases to the construction budget were addressed by reallocating funds from within other project budget line items.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan