HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 5:04 AM

Great job, Daemon. I figured we'd be getting mansion pics but the excavating ones were the surprise for me. I was not expecting to see that.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 5:32 AM

Damn, those marble slabs are gonna be epic. Also nice surprise to see the other mega-mansion already underway

Thanks for posting those updates Daemon.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
That neighbour (on the left) is really getting screwed. The new home is close to the property line and protrudes out so much more. The curb appeal will take a hit, and their view may be curtailed.
Uhh, even with the scaffolding (which will be going away when the job's finished) you do realize that neighbor dude's view isn't blocked right?

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 3:09 PM
No man's land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
View from front balcony unobstructed. As per usual suburbia a fuckin idiot know nothing at all.
But from that SE corner window, they probably won't be able to see suburbia, with his shirt off, gardening in his back yard in Forest Lawn anymore.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 3:42 PM
Reach for the heavens

Looks great. It looks like there are two different colours of marble, or maybe it’s just the lighting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Second other surprise bonus

Marble stone is in the mansion already!

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 5:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg66 View Post
Uhh, even with the scaffolding (which will be going away when the job's finished) you do realize that neighbor dude's view isn't blocked right?
The "highlight" view from those lots is not just directly ahead, but also off to the left a bit, and that is the reason many of the homes have windows angled to the left (including the new house). While undoubtedly the view of the skyline will indeed still be largely visible from the neighbour's home, the left edge that was previously visible (from the left-most window in particular) will be cut off, and the view will now have a wall along the left that was previously more open. Again, the new home is built quite forward on the lot and is bigger.

Of course, can't know for sure unless we were actually there. Mine was just an observation of a possible negative impact to the neighbour based on what we know. It may not be an issue whatsoever, and clearly the neighbour had opportunity to weigh in (which they may or may not have taken up). The prior house was also built more forward (because of the angle of the street there also), but this one is a little more extreme, and the wall is of course larger.

Here is what I can garner from Google Maps. The orange line is extending directly south from the edge of the lot. The window in the neighbour's house that is closest to the new house would have just a slightly better view than that. The orange line is the view from the balcony. It seems like even the Bow building would be cut off, whereas previously they almost certainly saw a pinch more.

Again, can't know the specifics without actually being there, but can guarantee that it will negatively impact the neighbours view. We just don't know to what degree.

[EDIT] I do see that the new house is angled at the front, IE its wall doesn't extend directly parallel to the property line all the way to the front, so it won't be as big a negative impact as I was thinking. Still was a good exercise for me to look at the Google map. Investigating such things is how I myself learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
View from front balcony unobstructed. As per usual suburbia a fuckin idiot know nothing at all.
Rather inappropriate and uncalled for. I made my comments based on actual observations and knowledge of the area that was being discussed.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 7:32 PM
That's what she said

In e the scaffolding goes the neighbor will have his view back. Either way I’m confident the neighbor is going to survive.

Quote:
The "highlight" view from those lots is not just directly ahead, but also off to the left a bit, and that is the reason many of the homes have windows angled to the left (including the new house). While undoubtedly the view of the skyline will indeed still be largely visible from the neighbour's home, the left edge that was previously visible (from the left-most window in particular) will be cut off, and the view will now have a wall along the left that was previously more open. Again, the new home is built quite forward on the lot and is bigger.

Of course, can't know for sure unless we were actually there. Mine was just an observation of a possible negative impact to the neighbour based on what we know. It may not be an issue whatsoever, and clearly the neighbour had opportunity to weigh in (which they may or may not have taken up). The prior house was also built more forward (because of the angle of the street there also), but this one is a little more extreme, and the wall is of course larger.

Here is what I can garner from Google Maps. The orange line is extending directly south from the edge of the lot. The window in the neighbour's house that is closest to the new house would have just a slightly better view than that. The orange line is the view from the balcony. It seems like even the Bow building would be cut off, whereas previously they almost certainly saw a pinch more.

Again, can't know the specifics without actually being there, but can guarantee that it will negatively impact the neighbours view. We just don't know to what degree.

[EDIT] I do see that the new house is angled at the front, IE its wall doesn't extend directly parallel to the property line all the way to the front, so it won't be as big a negative impact as I was thinking. Still was a good exercise for me to look at the Google map. Investigating such things is how I myself learn.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 7:34 PM
That's what she said

I bet buddy who’s building the place owns the biggest truck on the market.

Quote:
First of surprise New large mansion under construction!!

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 8:43 PM
No man's land

Quote:

Rather inappropriate and uncalled for. I made my comments based on actual observations and knowledge of the area that was being discussed.
The new house is only two feet further ahead before it angles away. 4 pixels on your map is a difference of opening up 20 degrees of view.

Ever notice you obsess about minute details of things that likely don't impact you in any way?

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 8:45 PM
No man's land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
I bet buddy who’s building the place owns the biggest truck on the market.
Likely more than one too.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
The new house is only two feet further ahead before it angles away. 4 pixels on your map is a difference of opening up 20 degrees of view.
Do you have a reference for the 2' number? Is it 20 degrees difference from the window or are we only counting the balcony (because views from windows don't count)?

Don't know why you folks are debating. My point is valid no matter how you cut it. The neighbour's view is going to be negatively impacted. By how much is something we won't know unless are able to look out the window, and had done so prior to the prior house having been demolished also.

Let's move on. You folks can keep trying to bully me - it won't do anything. And anyone reviewing my posts on this with a sense of fairness will not have found anything for people to argue so vigorously against.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Is it only me who finds this glass spectacular? Surprised no one has commented - can't think of any other project in Calgary like this.

Quote:
MacKimmie is looking fab! Love the angled glass, and also the overall site plan with pathway and landscaping changes to integrate the campus and beautify

LINK - https://www.instagram.com/p/BwbL4T9HUeR/

LINK - https://www.instagram.com/p/BwYVP9iBesp/

Site plan of MacKimmie Complex and Professional Faculties Building Redevelopment. (DIALOG / University of Calgary)

Article, including additional renderings and images -

Heart of University of Calgary campus undergoing placemaking transformation
https://dailyhive.com/calgary/univer...opment-project

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 12:03 AM
Moran supreme

The UofC might finally have a building that is on par with the wonderful stuff at SAIT?

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 12:26 AM

That's an interesting construction style, I see that building all the time off Crowchild but didn't realize there was glass going on top of the frame structure.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:32 AM

Nice catch Daemon. I thin it'll loook awesome when the lighting is better. It looks good even in the worst kind of lighting. Now I'm really anxious to see those tarps come off.
Quote:
Second other surprise bonus

Marble stone is in the mansion already!

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:36 AM

I don't think the guy next door is going to be any worse off than the guy next to him. Once the scaffolds are down, there'll be a lot more space. Part of the view to the east will be cut off slightly, but not much.

Quote:

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:45 AM

That's what I'm guessing too. This is just a rough estimate of how the structures will look, and not at all accurate but I think his view should be okay.

Quote:

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 3:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
That's an interesting construction style, I see that building all the time off Crowchild but didn't realize there was glass going on top of the frame structure.
The floor plate including the glass will somewhat be akin to Brookfield. Now imagine if Brookfield would have been done like this.

As much as this looks great, I'm as enthused about it adding to the diversity of buildings in Calgary. I can't think of another building like it.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 4:35 AM

Google Earth has newer imagery of the area (when using the historical imagery option):

But it might not be as big of a deal because looking at the Streetview, its neighbor appears to be a 3-storey.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Google Earth has newer imagery of the area (when using the historical imagery option):

But it might not be as big of a deal because looking at the Streetview, its neighbor appears to be a 3-storey.
That's awesome!

Man that new house looks monstrous compared to the houses around, many of which are not small homes!

Regarding the neighbour possibly being a three story, two comments there. This new house has massive floor to ceiling heights so is frankly as tall as a three storey itself. Second is that the third story of any home is generally a private area, whereas you'd like your entertaining and daily use spaces maintaining view, so hopefully those have been maintained for the first and second floors.

Two additional things are made particularly clear in this image regarding the new house. The first is that the home really is being built closer to the sidewalk at the front - like there is virtually zero front yard left. And second, the angle of the front portion where it moves away from the property line is clear. That's helpful for sure.

EDIT - you can really get low on the 3D view in Google Earth and get a good appreciation for the view. Great tool!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates