HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 1:16 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
They are. All the newer neighborhood and development districts in the last decade and going forward all have a much more diverse mix of density, from mixed use mid-rise to multi-unit housing all the way down to more smaller lots for detached houses with only a very small portion of larger lots for bungalows. The things you are suggesting have been actively planned and developed here for some time. All we need now is for Transit to get their ass in gear and start servicing the suburban centers with high frequency RT routes already.
Maybe you're confused what "mixed use" is. In Brighton all of the commercial is on one side of the road and the development is on the other. In Rosewood Costco, McDonalds, and Pitchfork are across the road from the homes. At least in Evergreen the commercial is more integrated but it still isn't mixed use. The fact that these new neighbourhoods include the full gambit of housing types, from apartments to townhouses to SFHs is encouraging but there is very little in the way of mixed use development.

Some examples of mixed-use development at different scales in Saskatoon include Gateway Plaza in Willowgrove, 922 Broadway, or 157 2nd Avenue. What I wish would have happened in some of the suburban centres is for the commercial spaces in 211 Evergreen Square to have five floors of residential above, or for Montage in University Heights to have commercial spaces on the ground floor, or for Brighton to have commercial spaces sprinkled throughout the neighbourhood instead of one large shopping centre by the highway.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Maybe you're confused what "mixed use" is. In Brighton all of the commercial is on one side of the road and the development is on the other. In Rosewood Costco, McDonalds, and Pitchfork are across the road from the homes. At least in Evergreen the commercial is more integrated but it still isn't mixed use. The fact that these new neighbourhoods include the full gambit of housing types, from apartments to townhouses to SFHs is encouraging but there is very little in the way of mixed use development.

Some examples of mixed-use development at different scales in Saskatoon include Gateway Plaza in Willowgrove, 922 Broadway, or 157 2nd Avenue. What I wish would have happened in some of the suburban centres is for the commercial spaces in 211 Evergreen Square to have five floors of residential above, or for Montage in University Heights to have commercial spaces on the ground floor, or for Brighton to have commercial spaces sprinkled throughout the neighbourhood instead of one large shopping centre by the highway.
The new dream apartment in Brighton has several bays of commercial on the ground floor with 3 floors of residential above

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddo View Post
The new dream apartment in Brighton has several bays of commercial on the ground floor with 3 floors of residential above
Which ones? I haven't been out there in a while, but that is cool if they are proceeding with some actual mixed use.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
Which ones? I haven't been out there in a while, but that is cool if they are proceeding with some actual mixed use.
Brighton village center apartments is the project name, commerical part is called Commons at Brighton village. Supposed to be available for fall, in the brochure like no one has signed on yet. I was under the impression that unit 119 would be a coffee shop but maybe that wasn't correct.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vie...MzAucGRmIn0%3D

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 6:05 PM

Colliers reports that the former Extra Foods on Broadway has been purchased. I would be curious to know who purchased this piece of property. Really looking forward to what will be slated for redevelopment.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Colliers reports that the former Extra Foods on Broadway has been purchased. I would be curious to know who purchased this piece of property. Really looking forward to what will be slated for redevelopment.
That's great news! I'd love to see another Baydo/639 Main/Luxe development there. Wouldn't it be amazing if the buyer also scooped up the houses west of there and planned something bigger, though.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 3:53 PM

I was still hoping for a boutique type grocery store, but I am thinking if one hasn't taken the main floor space of the Baydo building across the street yet, then that is highly unlikely.

I live in the area and miss not having the option to pick up some groceries within walking distance. I would have thought with new Baydo building and the new one on Main and Dufferrin that the increased density might sway a grocer.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 6:35 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I was still hoping for a boutique type grocery store, but I am thinking if one hasn't taken the main floor space of the Baydo building across the street yet, then that is highly unlikely.

I live in the area and miss not having the option to pick up some groceries within walking distance. I would have thought with new Baydo building and the new one on Main and Dufferrin that the increased density might sway a grocer.
The loading facilities at the Baydo building are trash. I could never imagine a grocery store doing all its loading through the same doors that building residents use to take out their garbage and access the alley.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 4:14 AM

Quote:

Walkable groceries in the area has definitely fallen into the "expensive picnic" category. I bet there's room for a solid pet supply store --- would that be a good Baydo tenant? Maybe the lack of parking nixes it. Shoppers Drug Mart seems to have chosen their spot further down the strip, but something in the pharmacy/grocery vein (aka a place to buy milk and/or toothpaste) would be welcome. I'd love a place for fruits and veggies, but hey this is the land of eternal winters. Bread, meat, cheese, coffee, and beer will have to do for now I guess.

Last edited by Roquentin; Apr 13, 2023 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 10:27 PM

I don't know if anyone has been around Evergreen lately but the amount of apartments and condos they're building on Baltzan is insane, I'll bet it will one of the most densely populated parts of town after it's all done. There's also grocery store, gas station, take out place less and other amenities less than a block away. I can also access pretty much the entire city on my bike through the Meewasin connected with the walking trails and parks in the neighborhood. It's a 30 minute ride downtown and quicker than taking the bus. I get with some of the older areas you can make the case for sprawl but it feels like the city has somewhat learned their lesson. Sure, we're not Vancouver but it's progress.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 10:32 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceyourself View Post
I don't know if anyone has been around Evergreen lately but the amount of apartments and condos they're building on Baltzan is insane, I'll bet it will one of the most densely populated parts of town after it's all done. There's also grocery store, gas station, take out place less and other amenities less than a block away. I can also access pretty much the entire city on my bike through the Meewasin connected with the walking trails and parks in the neighborhood. It's a 30 minute ride downtown and quicker than taking the bus. I get with some of the older areas you can make the case for sprawl but it feels like the city has somewhat learned their lesson. Sure, we're not Vancouver but it's progress.
That's all well and good, but every time I think about these outer nodes of density like Evergreen, Stonebridge, or increasingly the area around Meadows Market, I am reminded that every multi-family project out there is one fewer that could (and ought) to be built closer to the city centre.

Saskatoon is big enough to support a few of these mixed-use nodes outside the downtown (Confed and Market Mall are good examples), but trying to add one of these into every single suburban neighbourhood comes at the inevitable expense of the core.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 5:32 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Saskatoon is big enough to support a few of these mixed-use nodes outside the downtown (Confed and Market Mall are good examples), but trying to add one of these into every single suburban neighbourhood comes at the inevitable expense of the core.
And at at the expense of good transit. Saskatoon has enough people for light rail and a solid bus network, but the built environment is not conducive to a high-quality transit system.

Fast and frequent busses can move 20k plus people per day, and light rail can move 2x or 3x that. So all of these suburban centres with 10k people, 95% of whom get around by car, are not nearly dense enough to support good transit. Saskatoon's "high frequency corridors" (8th and 22nd) only have busses every 30 minutes on evenings and weekends, so you can imagine how unreliable the busses in Evergreen or Rosewood or Hampton Village are.

What Saskatoon needs is for all the arterials within a 30-minute bus ride of downtown (think Broadway, 22nd, 33rd, Warman, Preston, 8th, and Taylor) to be lined with low- and mid-rise apartment buildings.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceyourself View Post
Where is the grocery store out there...I thought Uni Heights were the closest grocery stores. I guess I need to take a trip out there!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Where is the grocery store out there...I thought Uni Heights were the closest grocery stores. I guess I need to take a trip out there!
The grocery store is in the new mcormond area and will be an Independent- like in erindale/rosewood and Silverwood heights . I haven't been out in that area since last summer, but I'd assume it's under construction or will be soon.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
The grocery store is in the new mcormond area and will be an Independent- like in erindale/rosewood and Silverwood heights . I haven't been out in that area since last summer, but I'd assume it's under construction or will be soon.
Construction is well underway, shell is complete, exterior work is being done can't comment on inside status.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
From this, it looks like the property is still for sale:

https://www.cbre.ca/properties/comme...tting%2CisSale

Current zoning would allow for another Baydo/639 Main type development.

Also, it looks like a small luxury condo project will break ground this summer by Rotary Park:

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/luxury-...mmer-1.6364370

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
Also, it looks like a small luxury condo project will break ground this summer by Rotary Park:

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/luxury-...mmer-1.6364370
Nice project.

Also, the rezoning for the Broadway & 8th project is headed to Council next week: https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/8th-...roadway-avenue

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Also, the rezoning for the Broadway & 8th project is headed to Council next week: https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/8th-...roadway-avenue

If this isn't a slam dunk, I will... mutter angrily. It's perfect for the corner and would set a high bar for future developments around the city. I'd love to see buildings like this pop up all over the place.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 12:41 AM

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 4:56 AM
Unregistered User

I see the old BDC space at 21st and 2nd has been leased following some apparent renovations. Anyone know what’s happening there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan