HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:17 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Saw these yesterday when they were posted on YIMBY... A couple observations... I do like them but I'm leery of rustic elements like the stone being used in the architecture for this program. It looks a bit too much Yosemite lodge when a bullet train station should feel more sci-fi/ultramodern IMO. I'm not sold on that scaffold-style standalone signage on the roof, set in all caps or otherwise. I think station names on the reverse of a central wall of glass like you see quite a bit of in Europe would be more attractive. I'm also a bit skeptical of those massively tall flights of stairs. Even assuming the escalators are always working, there doesn't appear to be any refuge levels. It would be like ascending and descending an Aztec temple.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:56 PM

Looks good to me! Im sure it will be refined before implementation but i like the direction

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 8:26 PM
你的媽媽

The stairs do look pretty daunting.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:20 PM
them bones

^It's a rendering guys. California Building Code requires a landing every 12 vertical feet.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:40 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

^Kinda seems like a rendering that has been released to the public after design services contracts have been awarded and design is no doubt above 0% should not be showing obvious elements that would never show up/be allowed in the final design.

My .02

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 11:24 PM
Resu Deretsiger

from the article:

That's two regional connections for Merced station, not bad. Fresno's downtown station is on a different rail ROW and I think that's the same for Bakersfield.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 2:17 AM

Today's Los Angeles Times has a great article about the planned high-speed rail line between Southern California and Las Vegas. It appears likely that this line will open before CAHSR and thus become the nation's first true high-speed railroad. They are aiming to have it open by the 2028 Olympics.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 2:59 AM
Paramoderator

Personally speaking I think these all look fantastic.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:15 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
California bullet train project needs another $100 billion to complete route from San Francisco to Los Angeles
Updated: 7:43 AM PDT Mar 13, 2024
Ashley Zavala

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — As the state faces economic headwinds, California's mega high-speed rail project between San Francisco to Los Angeles also faces major funding hurdles, the project's CEO Brian Kelly told state lawmakers Tuesday.

Kelly testified in front of the State Senate's Transportation Committee on the High-Speed Rail Authority's updated draft business plan. In Tuesday's hearing, Kelly told lawmakers the project has $28 billion dollars on hand, but noted it was still a few billion dollars short to complete the Central Valley segment between Merced and Bakersfield. Depending on how long the segment takes to finish, it could cost between $32 Billion to $35 Billion. Kelly said the project is hoping to fill the gap with federal funds. That segment of the project is expected to be fully operational between 2030 and 2033, Kelly said.

Project leaders estimate it will still need an additional $100 billion to finish what voters were originally pitched in 2008: a bullet train that runs between San Francisco and Los Angeles. A timeline on its completion has not been set as the authority waits for environmental clearances for those segments.
https://www.kcra.com/article/califor...geles/60181448

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 6:16 PM

And if they say $100B, it will probably end up higher than that.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 6:32 PM

What a mess and an embarrassment. So the estimate is now $135 billion for the whole project? And complete by when...2060? If this project was supposed to provide an example of the viability of HSR in the US, I'd say it's failing spectacularly. I highly doubt we'll ever see more than the CV line. $35 billion to connect f***ing Merced to Bakersfield...what a joke.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
What a mess and an embarrassment. So the estimate is now $135 billion for the whole project? And complete by when...2060? If this project was supposed to provide an example of the viability of HSR in the US, I'd say it's failing spectacularly. I highly doubt we'll ever see more than the CV line. $35 billion to connect f***ing Merced to Bakersfield...what a joke.
What state do you live in, again?

CAHSR will eventually run between the Bay Area and Southern California if Washington remains cooperative. That said, I don't expect service expansions to Sacramento and San Diego. In such a scenario, existing rail lines to those cities could be upgraded to faster rail, if not truly high-speed rail.

Meanwhile, the private Brightline high-speed railroad (publicly funded, of course) between Southern California and Las Vegas will be an example of the viability of HSR in the US. It will almost certainly be the first in the nation.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:18 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
That said, I don't expect service expansions to Sacramento and San Diego. In such a scenario, existing rail lines to those cities could be upgraded to faster rail, if not truly high-speed rail.

We were going to have to wait a very long time for those anyway. That said, when they do happen I fully expect them to be fully compatible expansions of the then fully operational Phase 1.

Confidence is what is sorely lacking in this country.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:

CAHSR will eventually run between the Bay Area and Southern California if Washington remains cooperative. That said, I don't expect service expansions to Sacramento and San Diego. In such a scenario, existing rail lines to those cities could be upgraded to faster rail, if not truly high-speed rail.

Meanwhile, the private Brightline high-speed railroad (publicly funded, of course) between Southern California and Las Vegas will be an example of the viability of HSR in the US. It will almost certainly be the first in the nation.
Amtrak should take over all Brightline operations.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:19 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
Amtrak should take over all Brightline operations.
Given that they recived billions in loans and grants Amtrak should take over...but I feel like Amtrak would then be stuck with 2 terminals that preclude proper expansions. Las Vegas station should have been along the UP tracks in Downtown not the outskirts.. RC is an even bigger hurdle to connect to LAU.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Given that they recived billions in loans and grants Amtrak should take over...but I feel like Amtrak would then be stuck with 2 terminals that preclude proper expansions. Las Vegas station should have been along the UP tracks in Downtown not the outskirts.. RC is an even bigger hurdle to connect to LAU.
From what I understand the Rancho station is just the phase 1 terminal for the Brightline Vegas route and the end game is for Brightline and CAHSR to collaboratively build the LA Union Station-Rancho leg of CAHSR and have Brightline trains run from Union Station. Or at least for some of Brightline's money being put towards the Union Station-Rancho leg of the route.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
If I’m understanding correctly, I don’t agree that the government* should operate the vehicles because it invested in the infrastructure. Too many examples where that doesn’t happen from airports to private vehicles. However it would make sense that there be competition to operate the equipment. It does seem unusual to make the infrastructure available to only a single private company.

I think that there’s a good chance that at least the part of CAHSR that connects LAUS to Rancho Cucamonga could happen if they’re able to start just that phase. They’ll likely have to take away freeway lanes or homes, or maybe both to do it.

*Amtrak isn’t technically a government company and would likely be a downgrade from Brightline.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:43 PM

The Brightline line as currently planned between "LA" and "Las Vegas" might technically be the nation's first HSR line, but it's going to be small-time by any global standard and as compared to CAHSR.

It's amazing how CAHSR's IOS ending many miles north of LA is a "failure" but Brightline gets a pass for the same transgression. Similarly, CAHSR won't be high speed or fully grade separated in its approach to San Francisco, but Brightline won't even attempt to reach DT Las Vegas.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The Brightline line as currently planned between "LA" and "Las Vegas" might technically be the nation's first HSR line, but it's going to be small-time by any global standard and as compared to CAHSR.

It's amazing how CAHSR's IOS ending many miles north of LA is a "failure" but Brightline gets a pass for the same transgression. Similarly, CAHSR won't be high speed or fully grade separated in its approach to San Francisco, but Brightline won't even attempt to reach DT Las Vegas.
Brightline is proposed to stop right off the Vegas strip, so I don't know what you're talking about. On the other end, Brightline will be stopping in Rancho Cucamonga. While it's obviously not as good as it coming to DTLA (which I believe it eventually will) at least RC is in the metro area and is currently served by commuter rail. Bakersfield is nowhere close to Los Angeles, not in the metro area, and is not connected to LA by passenger rail at all. Pretty big difference!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:

I live in California, and have been a big supporter of CAHSR since it was announced. I'm incredibly disheartened by the pace of construction, massive cost increases, and the horrible mismanagement of this project. The CAHSR CEO even said "I hope we have the wherewithal to do San Francisco to LA in 3 hours" after completing the initial segment. Hoping to get the project done, with $100+ billion more added, at this stage is really shitty to hear.

How about you? Any thoughts? What state do you live in?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation