HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:43 PM

David Reevely ‏@davidreevely 5m5 minutes ago
Commissioner Denys Rivard says he'll be abstaining because he doesn't know the city well enough.

Good for him I guess, but this kinda sums up what is wrong with NCC.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:51 PM

The new site is in the neighbourhood of, what, 50 acres?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
Tunney's is, according to NCC, the recommended site.
I will be cheering with that choice. The feds may have all kinds of plans for Tunney's Pasture but I can't see that occurring for decades especially with four other major projects (Bayview, Lebreton, Zibi, Wateridge) that need to receive higher priority. So this will redevelop a site that is on rapid transit. I hope there will be a convenient LRT stop, not requiring a 500 m walk to the main entrance. But hey, this is the City of Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 5:18 PM

That's going to put a lot of ambulances on the parkway.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 5:26 PM

Yeah looks like it makes narrowing SJAM unlikely.

In other news, looks like Joly and McKenna are on-board: http://cmckenna.liberal.ca/news-nouv...ecommendation/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 5:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated: NCC chooses Tunney's Pasture as best site for new Civic hospital

Elizabeth Payne, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 24, 2016 | Last Updated: November 24, 2016 6:00 PM EST

The National Capital Commission surprised many people and overjoyed others Thursday by recommending Tunney’s Pasture become the site of the new Civic hospital.

The recommendation of the NCC’s board — which passed despite some key voices of dissent — now goes to Canadian Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly for approval. If approved by Joly, it’s up to the hospital to decide whether to proceed.

In the end, it was access to public transit — the site is adjacent to the LRT line — and the fact that it would not require destroying a heritage site or agricultural land, that helped to sway the NCC’s decision. The 50 acre site, on the western edge of the massive Tunney’s Pasture government complex, an NCC official noted, is already a sea of parking.

It moves Ottawa a step closer to having a $2 billion super hospital to replace the aging Civic. There are still many questions to be answered and hurdles to overcome before the new hospital is a reality — 15 or 20 years from now, at the earliest.

The decision was greeted with relief by groups who have rallied to protect the Central Experimental Farm from development. But the controversy that has marked selection of a new hospital site for years is not exactly laid to rest.

The Ottawa Hospital — which has long favoured building across the street from its existing Civic site on the Central Experimental Farm — has, in the past, raised concerns about the suitability of Tunney’s Pasture because of traffic delays on Parkdale Avenue, which could impede emergency vehicles.

NCC chief executive Mark Kristmanson agreed Tunney’s Pasture presents a “slight impediment” for people trying to get to it from the south, but said “it will be manageable in the long term.” In the 15 to 20 years before the hospital opens, he added, there will be time for changes to urban transportation. “Over time traffic planners will need to propose solutions to strengthen connections.”

Kristmanson also said the NCC did not receive any traffic studies before making their decision.

Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper, whose ward includes Tunney’s Pasture, pinpointed traffic on Parkdale Avenue as an issue.

“Access from the Queensway to the north end of the ward is challenging, especially to and from the Parkdale ramps,” he said in a statement.

Leiper said the selection “will likely be hotly debated in the ward and around the city.” He anticipated concerns about traffic and parking from residents.

The hospital, in past reviews of potential sites, has also been concerned about the costs associated with building on Tunney’s Pasture. The portion of the site approved Thursday contains five buildings, some of which would likely have to be demolished. It remains unclear who would pay the cost of demolishing buildings declared surplus by the federal government on the land.

In a brief statement issued Thursday, the hospital noted Tunney’s Pasture “was not among the top-ranked sites in our 2008 or 2016 reports.”

The hospital added that, in the past, it understood the federal government had “a vision and plans for the Tunney’s Pasture development that did not include a hospital. We understand today that there have been recent changes to the vision for Tunney’s Pasture that could enable a hospital to be located there.”

The hospital said it will review the NCC report and work with federal, provincial and municipal governments “to plan a way forward.”

The University of Ottawa Heart Institute, currently adjacent to the Civic, will accompany the hospital wherever it moves.

Kristmanson said he spoke with hospital chief executive Dr. Jack Kitts earlier this week about the recommendation and he was “on the whole quite positive about the site.”

Three Ottawa members of the NCC board of directors abstained or voted against the recommendation, including Kay Stanley, who was on the six-person selection committee, and formerly on The Ottawa Hospital board of directors. Bob Plamondon and Brian Coburn also abstained. Stanley favoured building across the street from the existing hospital on the farm. Having a new hospital there would mean the current site could be used for a long-term care facility connected to the hospital, she said.

Stanley also noted that, although Tunney’s will be on the LRT route, “when people need to go to emergency or to pre-admission, they don’t take public transit to the hospital.”

The recommendation lifts the threat of development that has hung over the farm for years since The Ottawa Hospital identified it as its preferred site for a new hospital.

Heritage advocates say they will ask Environment Minister Catherine McKenna to mandate better protection from development for the farm and other national historic sites.

“It is a sigh of relief, but the vultures are still circling over the farm,” said Leslie Maitland of Heritage Ottawa. “(Historic sites) shouldn’t be under the gun every time somebody wants a juicy piece of land.”

Serge Buy, CEO of the Agricultural Institute of Canada, and a critic of the previous process of selecting a site for the Civic hospital, said Thursday’s decision “helps confirm a commitment to science and agriculture.”

Thursday’s announcement comes two years after the former Conservative government agreed to allow a replacement for the aging Civic hospital to be built on the farm near Carling Avenue, an announcement that was made without public consultation.

The plan proved controversial, with groups mobilizing to protect the farm, which is a designated National Historic Site. Scientists from around the world, including those who work with Agricultural Canada scientists on soil experiments at the farm, wrote to the Conservative government expressing alarm at plans to build on the historic agricultural research fields.

When the Liberals were elected last year, they vowed to revisit the issue with a more transparent process for selecting a site for the new hospital. Eventually, the National Capital Commission was tasked with reviewing a dozen sites that had already been considered by the hospital. As part of the process, public consultations were held and groups consulted.

Tunney’s is 121 acres of government buildings where 10,000 public servants go to work each day. Most of the buildings are reaching their best-before dates, which is why Public Services and Procurement Canada has a development strategy in the works for the land. The master plan calls for a transformation of the site to include offices as well as retail, residential and parks. The 25 year plan includes the addition of between 800 and 1,000 residential units and the doubling of federal employees to 20,000.

The west side of the site, where a hospital would go, has been declared surplus to government needs. Kristmanson suggested the hospital might be able to use some of the existing buildings.

Numerous Ontario communities are vying for provincial dollars to build new hospitals in what some have termed a race for hospital funding.

In addition to Tunney’s Pasture and three sites on the farm along Carling Avenue, the NCC looked at another site on farm land near Baseline and Merivale roads, one near Lincoln Fields, the Booth Street complex, two sites on West Hunt Club Road near Highway 416, one on Woodroffe near Hunt Club and the Merivale Road-Woodroffe Avenue corridor as well as the existing Ottawa Hospital Civic campus.

epayne@postmedia.com

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...e-to-be-chosen

Last edited by rocketphish; Nov 24, 2016 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Updated story

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I will be cheering with that choice. The feds may have all kinds of plans for Tunney's Pasture but I can't see that occurring for decades especially with four other major projects (Bayview, Lebreton, Zibi, Wateridge) that need to receive higher priority. So this will redevelop a site that is on rapid transit. I hope there will be a convenient LRT stop, not requiring a 500 m walk to the main entrance. But hey, this is the City of Ottawa.
It could have an integrated transit entrance... if the Ottawa Hospital corporation can be persuaded to not build a suburban carbuncle surrounded by parking and pointless "green" space.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Is that a bad thing?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Is that a bad thing?
It might put an end to Sunday bike days and the use of the parkway for special events. It also may end plans to reduce the number of lanes.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 11:56 PM

I'm not surprised at all. Many of the buildings at Tunney's are in poor shape and there's been chatter (emphasis on "chatter", not really plans) for a while now within PWGSC about decommissioning a good chunk of Tunney's office space and replacing it with new space to be leased from the Senators' Lebreton development. This would satisfy two key obsessions among this crowd:
1) New office layouts that meet the "Workplace 2.0" standards
2) Leasing real estate instead of owning it

I wouldn't be surprised if PWGSC bureaucrats were pushing the NCC to make Tunney's the choice.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 1:10 AM

edit

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 2:04 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Carling isn't exactly an ambulance freeway now. Plus I doubt the parkway will necessarily be a route of choice for emergencies as it meanders and has few access points for servicing neighbourhoods. The Hospital's emergency entrance also has to be easily accessible to the general public so I'd be surprised if it wasn't off Scott. I can just imagine the protest signs on Scott changing now, "30 ambulances a day, no way!"

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 2:09 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

A surprisingly good choice by the NCC. Like others on this forum, I'm impressed. Hopefully the site imposes a more urban-type building and puts an end to the delusion of those acres of surface parking, which are a non-starter for an urban institution. The low-lying "campus" type of development with its token transit access and acres of surface parking was like saying "we're going to try to jog 10 minutes every morning but we're still smoking a pack a day". If a public institution, funded by the same province that issues the Provincial Policy Statement on land use planning, can't be built in an urban manner, then what message is that sending. Now let's see what the site plan looks like and how real thyey can make this.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 2:25 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I don't buy the objections of people complaining that Tunney's Pasture is SO much further from the Queensway, for ambulance travel. It's actually only 500m further (assuming Emergency is located near Scott St.). Yes, I realize that the extra minute does make a difference in some situations, but Tunney's is closer to some parts of town too, like most of downtown Ottawa, so this will actually benefits others.

Here's what it looks like:

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 2:49 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

5 people on the potential Tunney's Pasture hospital site: 'More traffic would be a disaster'

Joanne Laucius, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 24, 2016 | Last Updated: November 24, 2016 7:59 PM EST

Moving the Ottawa Hospital’s Civic campus to Tunney’s Pasture could mean more traffic for Parkdale Avenue. Postmedia asked people who live, work and play in the neighbourhood what they think about relocating the hospital to Tunney’s Pasture, after an announcement on the proposed site was made Thursday.

“I wouldn’t mind if the hospital goes there. But they really have to fix the bottleneck between Scott Street and the Queensway on Parkdale.”
– Sarah Fulford

“I think it’s a really good spot for the hospital because of the LRT. There would need to be another exit from the Parkway. It might even take some of the traffic off the Queensway.”
– Terry Charette

“I already don’t like the traffic on Parkdale. It’s already super-congested. Parkdale isn’t great for emergency vehicles because it only has two lanes. I just moved to Orléans, but I used to live just off Parkdale. Traffic just got worse and worse.”
– Greg Crutchlow

“Before moving here, I didn’t realize what the traffic would be like. It used to take 20 minutes to get to school (the University of Ottawa). Now, it takes 40.”
– Cassandra Sibley

“I was on the Ottawa Hospital’s first board. Tunney’s Pasture has the space. It’s on the LRT line. Hopefully, people will use the LRT. It’s already congested enough here.”
– Robert Leitch

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-be-a-disaster

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I don't buy the objections of people complaining that Tunney's Pasture is SO much further from the Queensway, for ambulance travel. It's actually only 500m further (assuming Emergency is located near Scott St.). Yes, I realize that the extra minute does make a difference in some situations, but Tunney's is closer to some parts of town too, like most of downtown Ottawa, so this will actually benefits others.
I know right?
Someone in the comments to the article was complaining how much further it will be from Kemptville. Dude, check google maps, it takes 38 minutes to get to current location and 39 to Tunney's. Not to mention that Queensway-Carleton is much closer to you.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 5:09 AM

This would be a HUGE win for the Confederation Line.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I hope there will be a convenient LRT stop, not requiring a 500 m walk to the main entrance. But hey, this is the City of Ottawa.
The most logical approach would be to put the hospital building in the southern part of the site, along Scott Street, with the main doors on the southeast corner. This would put the main doors directly adjacent to the LRT station, maximizing accessibility by transit.

Meanwhile the parking lots and such should go in the northern part of the property closer to the Parkway.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 10:53 AM
Closed account

If they locate it on the block where the Jean-Talon building is now, they could have the emergency entrance on Parkdale where it has the best accessibility, and the main entrance more internal to the site where it would have proximity to the station and parking.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 12:50 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Skippy Poilievre was quoted on CBC Radio yesterday explaining how the Hospital is too far from the Queensway and how proximity to the LRT is irrelevant because nobody arrives at Emergency by train or bus. Somebody needs to tell this idiot that the vast majority of people coming and going at any hospital are not emergency room patients at all. They are staff and visitors. And for these people, as well as patients using the various non-emergency clinics, transit is a very real and very convenient option.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa