HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: Which building would you personally WANT to built 1st?
Midtown Exchange 17 44.74%
Stratus Midtown 10 26.32%
887 West Peachtree 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 2:53 PM

I low key want Midtown Exchange to fail at this point. It obliterated a block with some actual urban fiber and interest to basically create a less impressive version of the Google-anchored development next door on a much bigger parcel in a more desirable part of Midtown closer to Peachtree.

The bummer to me is that none of these take retail seriously. Colony Square did an incredible job with its redevelopment and is probably the most thriving place in Midtown because of it, yet every greenfield development just paints the streetfronts with generic retail boxes that predictably don't do very well.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
I low key want Midtown Exchange to fail at this point. It obliterated a block with some actual urban fiber and interest to basically create a less impressive version of the Google-anchored development next door on a much bigger parcel in a more desirable part of Midtown closer to Peachtree.

The bummer to me is that none of these take retail seriously. Colony Square did an incredible job with its redevelopment and is probably the most thriving place in Midtown because of it, yet every greenfield development just paints the streetfronts with generic retail boxes that predictably don't do very well.
Deep down i think i agree with you. Midtown Exchange didn't impress me when it was first announced except for the sheer bulk of the thing. That site has unlimited potential. They should retool it to be two apartment towers, and maybe another hotel or condo tower and have 10s of thousands of sqft of retail.

I think midtown could use another large single use tenant like a theater, or bowling alley. I know the iPic is at colony square and obviously the fox theater isnt too far. But I think Atlanta actually suffers from not enough of these types of establishments.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 2:12 PM

With only 2 days left before the poll closes, it appears Midtown Exchange is the preferred favorite.
I chose 887 West Peachtree because the tower would pierce Midtown's flat-top skyline between 10th and Tech Square tower.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
With only 2 days left before the poll closes, it appears Midtown Exchange is the preferred favorite.
I chose 887 West Peachtree because the tower would pierce Midtown's flat-top skyline between 10th and Tech Square tower.
Wish that tower would happen. It seems like a no-brainer and has a big boy developer behind it. Not sure why it has languished for so long.

I also really miss its old design.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
Not sure why it has languished for so long.
I think it's because a smart developer foresaw an unacceptable financial risk so late in the development cycle, and decided to wait for demand to return. The last decade has been one heck of a ride for Atlanta, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta