HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 3:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I hope to be a part of the vote that puts a liberal MP in London-West.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 4:08 PM

Interesting article. I know myself I voted for Holder last time and this time I will be voting for Doug Ferguson.

London West has a high immigrant population, especially in the Westmount area originating from Colombia, and the Conservatives have done themselves no favours in how they have treated the Latin American population in general since they came into power - one of several reasons I've taken an anything-but-Conservative attitude to this election. I think Holder will have a tough time getting re-elected, not because he's a bad candidate, but because of his association with the Conservatives.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 5:18 PM
User Registered

The ultimate question is if the Conservatives get a majority and there's no Conservative MP in London, does that mean London will suffer at the hands of the federal government?

Polls show they could attain a majority, but they're just polls. I predict another minority, but the Conservatives could have more seats/power than they do now.

Either way, Doug's getting my vote. He hasn't made any mistakes in his campaign so far, and he's even got in touch with me on Twitter. Ed Holder has made several mistakes so far and that's going to bite him in such a tightly-contested riding.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Apr 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:08 AM
User Registered

Wow my riding of London West is in super-tight contention!

See here: http://www.projectdemocracy.ca/london-west

This could be a Liberal swing-seat if the NDP and Green supporters prop them up.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post

This could be a Liberal swing-seat if the NDP and Green supporters prop them up.
Holder probably lost a lot of votes yesterday after his flop performance at an all-candidates debate, while Doug Ferguson and Irene Mathyssen shined. The audience was mostly seniors, and as we all know, seniors tend to vote.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../18037031.html

I've met Doug Ferguson and he is approachable and has real vision about how to bring back Canada's respectability in the world. I knew Ed Holder long before he ran for office and he was once a respectable man, but now he's nothing more than a puppet for King Harper. Last time I talked to Holder he seemed totally clueless about the issue I was talking to him about. I've heard the same thing about him writing to another constituent about a different issue.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 2:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Met both (Ferg is here at UWO). Holder seems decent, but I can't vote for the Tory platform.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 2:26 AM

Quote:

There is something fundamentally wrong with this projection: The Bloc Quebecois are projected to win 114 seats in London West.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 10:24 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:

Given that the site, up front, admits that it is not politically neutral, I would strongly question the integrity of their predictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Holder probably lost a lot of votes yesterday after his flop performance at an all-candidates debate, while Doug Ferguson and Irene Mathyssen shined. The audience was mostly seniors, and as we all know, seniors tend to vote.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../18037031.html

I've met Doug Ferguson and he is approachable and has real vision about how to bring back Canada's respectability in the world. I knew Ed Holder long before he ran for office and he was once a respectable man, but now he's nothing more than a puppet for King Harper. Last time I talked to Holder he seemed totally clueless about the issue I was talking to him about. I've heard the same thing about him writing to another constituent about a different issue.
You have to admit that some of these questions are pretty goddamn stupid. Your entitlement to corporate liquidation depends, first of all, on whether or not you own corporate debt or whether you own equity. Debt holders are automatically granted preferred creditor status because they chose to engage in a fundamentally safer financing activity that yields a lower rate of return. Of course, there are various types of debt holders, and based on the interest they command and the size of their loans, different levels will be given different liquidation priorities.

Shareholders, on the other hand, choose to own a portion of the company and thus accept a fundamentally higher risk associated with equity financing (You want to be a part of the company? Get ready to be stung if the company fails). They make a higher return which is mostly the result of a risk premium; when the company is doing well, the owners will do well, but when a company begins to collapse, the owners have to accept their responsibility to creditors and their decision not to finance the business via debt. Being the owners, just like any other business, they are also last in line to get back their investment.

This is how creditor classes work. They are based on economic tradeoff mechanisms, and each class of creditor is entitled to his share of liquidation based on the amount of risk they were willing to take on. Everyone, regardless of age, sex, religion, sexual orientation or whatever, is equal within each creditor class. You can't start going around and arbitrarily imposing age priority rules, or you will destroy the entire system of incentives that allow companies to finance capital spending initiatives. Because Ferguson is arguing in favour of a system that would circumvent the existing set of rules designed to ensure fairness and equality, I would not vote for him. Why should some other investor receive priority over me based on age?

Last edited by Wharn; Apr 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Met both (Ferg is here at UWO). Holder seems decent, but I can't vote for the Tory platform.
Diefenbaker, Goldwater, Stanfield, Nixon, Thatcher, Regan, Mulroney, Bush 1, Bush 2, Manning, Day, Palin.

None of these names has history treated very well, for good reason. They are names that have been vilified, laughed at, or both.

As one example, Ms.Thatcher once proposed a tax on all citizens for being alive. Of course the poor would be hurt much more than any other (by design).

Mr.Harper is a current member of that same club.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 2:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^Oh, I know that. Which is why (among 10000 other reasons) I won't (nor likely ever) be voting Cons next week.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Diefenbaker, Goldwater, Stanfield, Nixon, Thatcher, Regan, Mulroney, Bush 1, Bush 2, Manning, Day, Palin.
Diefenbaker was concerned with human rights giving us the Bill of Rights, a precursor to the Charter. As well he maintained the welfare state of post-WWII so I don't think your characterization is accurate.

Stanfield while mocked over his football gaffe, was/is respected for his beliefs and honesty. He ran on wage & price controls which P.E. Trudeau mocked and ridiculed, only to introduce the policies himself once in power.

Reagan, although many things are questionable politically was responsible for ending the Cold War, major nuclear disarmament. Major accomplishment that many like to deny him.

If you hate right-wing politics or conservatism that your prerogative, but at least have objectivity and accuracy. Sure some of those leaders weren't great (Bush II; Palin, Manning, Day who never had national government) but slandering ALL leaders conservatives as historical pariahs just makes your argument stink of hyper-partisanship.

Look at the Liberal Party now, its essentially going to be a rump party of urban metropolitans Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and maritime provinces living on federal subsidizes. Martin, Dion, now Iggy are going to be on the list of those that led the Liberal Party into ruin.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 2:17 AM

Ignatieff is going to be spending tomorrow in London West. It just so happens I picked tomorrow to help out Doug Ferguson on his campaign, so I am hoping I will get the opportunity to meet Ignatieff.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 11:53 PM

Met Ignatieff at London Mall today. He's actually friendlier in person than he appears to be on television. Roger Caranci and Glen Pearson were there, along with provincial Liberals Deb Matthews and Chris Bentley.

I was campaigning with Doug Ferguson today in Westmount, Old West, and Old South, and I think the Conservatives are in big trouble in London West. From what I was hearing today, I think the Liberals have a very solid chance to take back the riding.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 1:36 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Met Ignatieff at London Mall today. He's actually friendlier in person than he appears to be on television.
Cool!

But eew, why was he stopping at London Mall? Oh the horror! Someone of his stature shouldn't be subjected to that kind of decrepitude!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 1:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^he must have needed some Schmokey BBQ

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Cool!

But eew, why was he stopping at London Mall? Oh the horror! Someone of his stature shouldn't be subjected to that kind of decrepitude!
There's still a Christmas wreath up, right above the Chew-Chew Train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^he must have needed some Schmokey BBQ
I tried that place yesterday actually. It's really really good.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 4:40 PM
User Registered

I've seen Iggy at UWO and I didn't like the fact that he didn't directly answer any of the questions posed to him.

Getting more local, it seems like every riding in London is secure except London West. The NDP surge has really affected the predictions for this riding with the conservatives in the lead, the Liberals trailing by about 2000 votes and the NDP trailing the Liberals by another 2000 votes.

The rest of the ridings should re-elect their incumbents I'm predicting.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 5:25 PM

London West is where I grew up, and actually both elections I voted in there were very close. I remember a few years ago the civic election for my ward - ward 8, was won by Paul Hubert by 23 votes or something. Then the was last federal election - again, I think the Conservative vote was around 1000 votes or different.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 2:40 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I'm really tempted to vote NDP, but I can't stand "Harper's Gov't". I want my vote to count more towards denying the Cons another seat. So the latest polls put Liberal Ferguson just behind Ed Holdout, and NDP Ferguson behind Liberal Ferguson. How many people will leave their glasses at home?

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 3:46 PM

I voted Conservative in the advance poll. Last I heard, Susan Truppe was gaining ground on Pearson in my riding of London North Centre. There are some things I disagree with in their policies but they bailed out the auto industry and they seem more committed than any other party to getting the new Windsor-Detroit bridge done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy