HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 9:36 PM

I love the design of the Icon! I picked up the book at the sales center and the floorplans are amazing, so much glass, so many balconies. I am surprised so many people dislike the look and design.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
We're talking about design trends of Claridge homes, not just the Union Canada building. We are only pointing inconsistencies in their designs with poorly done Claridge Plaza and Market condo next to Union Canada compared to much better projects such as Tribeca, Icon, the one that fell through on Rideau and Chapel and this one here, if it looks anything like what HintonburgCA showed us.
Does anyone have access to renderings of what Claridge was going to build at Rideau and Chapel? I'd love to see them. (PS: Sorry if I'm going of topic again )

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 12:09 AM
National Capital Region

^I posted them in the general rumours/updates thread recently

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 5:51 AM

i guess the utilities are almost upgraded now, rideau has been one way past king edward for a while. i think we'll see some amazing proposals for rideau east soon!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Agreed. This thing is too fat. Add whatever Phoenix builds next door on the honest lawyer site, which will inevitably be around the same height, and you just have this giant wall on this block that is what most of us hate about downtown Ottawa.
Not me. I don't care how giant the wall is, in most locations... it's how the wall meets and addresses the street that matters.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 11:44 AM

well the way the wall meets and addresses the street in downtown Ottawa is an epic fail everywhere. i do admit the podium looks suitable in the new Claridge proposal we are talking about.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 11:06 PM
National Capital Region

@neilmalhotra https://twitter.com/neilmalhotra/sta...56636578803713
"our app should be up soon on ottawa.ca but thought I would post a pic of our 1040 Somerset"

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
@neilmalhotra https://twitter.com/neilmalhotra/sta...56636578803713
"our app should be up soon on ottawa.ca but thought I would post a pic of our 1040 Somerset"

Cool.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Cool.
Whats with the gloomy rendering?! Too intense

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Whats with the gloomy rendering?! Too intense
Looks post-apocalyptic! They should give this building some kind of awesome name that references zombies: Romero Place, Grindhouse Tower, Phantasm....

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 3:50 AM

That's beautiful! Very different for Ottawa. But I agree the sky looks pretty gloomy. Probably won't help those who are fearful of these kinds of proposals.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 12:51 PM

i guess Claridge has finally recognized the dangers of buildings over 27 stories in Ottawa and is portraying it suitably. think about the children!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 2:47 PM

It is hard to tell from this one rendering alone but it doesn't look like this building has a very big footprint. At 39 stories, I'm imagining it would look a lot thinner in the skyline. Definitely different for this city.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 8:07 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 8:54 PM

Again... very boring and unapealing design...
It looks pretty much EXACTLY like the Claridge ICON except instead of having "wavy" balconies, they are crooked, straight and stacked. For 39 stories in downtown I was really hoping for more. But who am I kidding?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Again... very boring and unapealing design...
It looks pretty much EXACTLY like the Claridge ICON except instead of having "wavy" balconies, they are crooked, straight and stacked. For 39 stories in downtown I was really hoping for more. But who am I kidding?
I've learned not to expect much from Claridge... Like the Icon, it's a blatant copy of another building in some other city. In my opinion, the design is uninspired and lacks originality. With that said, it's not a bad-looking building... but I liked the original better

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 10:44 PM

I think it looks amazing and for the second time ever (first being Icon) I'm excited about a Claridge building.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I think it looks amazing and for the second time ever (first being Icon) I'm excited about a Claridge building.
Third time for me; I like Tribeca. Wait and see for the completion before my final judgement.

I still don't understand why they still haven't stepped up their condos in the Rideau-Market area.

Last edited by J.OT13; Jul 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 1:15 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Claridge seeks approval for 39-storey condo on Somerset at O-Train tracks

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN July 4, 2013

OTTAWA — Claridge Homes is seeking permission to build a 39-storey condo tower on Somerset Street just west of the O-Train tracks.

It’s the second time Claridge has taken advantage of a gap in the city’s urban planning, which has left a sliver of land next to the train tracks without a current neighbourhood plan — the site at 1040 Somerset St. W. is on the edge of a “community design plan” centred on the Bayview transit station and about a block away from the area covered by a similar plan for Wellington Street West, but neither applies. Next door, at 1050 Somerset, Claridge has permission for a 23-storey building tucked into the same little piece of no man’s land.

The zoning on the property allows a building of 15 metres, or about five storeys; Claridge wants to build a tower that tops out at 125 metres. The company’s planning application says that obeys the general principles of both nearby neighbourhood plans, even if neither strictly applies.

It would be the tallest thing in the neighbourhood — taller than the 30-storey buildings the city expects to approve on the other side of the O-Train tracks as part of redevelopment around the Bayview transit station. But, says Claridge’s application, “this property is unique.” It’s within walking distance of both the Bayview station and a new O-Train station expected to be built eventually at Gladstone Avenue, and it overlooks the track, two attributes that usually mean greater height is OK.

“The site is located at the edge of the community where the additional density and height will not negatively impact on the surrounding community,” the application says. Similar logic has been used for a 45-storey building Claridge already has approved for the south end of Preston Street near the Carling O-Train station, and for an application from Richcraft for two 48-storey buildings that city council hasn’t yet voted on, also at the southern edge of Little Italy.

This tower, designed by renowned Toronto firm architectsAlliance, features layer after layer of offset balconies on top of a four-storey podium, giving the effect of the world’s biggest (and most geometrically precise) Dagwood sandwich. “The high architectural quality of the proposed building creates a new landmark at Somerset Street punctuating the city’s skyline,” the application says. There’d be a small space for retail at ground level; the architectural renderings in the application show a patio with tables, suggesting a restaurant or coffee shop.

Besides changing the zoning rules to allow a much taller building that fills in more of the relatively small lot than would ordinarily be allowed, Claridge wants permission to provide less parking than the regular rules require. A seven-level underground garage would have 152 spaces for residents’ cars (and 174 for bikes), which is the minimum allowed under the usual law, but only another 10 spots for visitors. The law ordinarily demands 65.

Between all the transit and the street parking in the area, the application says, there should be plenty of room. “Given these circumstances, the reduction in commercial and visitor parking spaces is appropriate and is not anticipated to result in spillover parking in residential streets or to the broader community.”

With the application in its early stages, there’s no date set for city council’s planning committee to consider it.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Claridg...#ixzz2Y85XCrAw

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 1:26 AM
National Capital Region

I am a fan. Classic aA and a good spot for a tall building. aA really pays attention to details, looking forward to seeing this built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa