HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
It's often overlooked, but Biden is HUGE with African Americans.
That's correct. But again, he's going to need more than just being Obama's VP to keep them - he sounds like an old reactionary white dude almost every time he talks about minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
The lower turnout this election is going to hurt the Liberals, the younger crowd isn't as hyped as 2015 with the WEED strategy helping the Liberals greatly in many seats.
Doubletalking, nationalizing a pipeline and just being generally corrupt doesn't help either. It's at times like these where the presidential system (voting for candidates instead of parties) looks much more appealing.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 7:11 PM

Singh's good performance in the debates may have saved some NDP seats in BC, but Quebec is likely still a wipeout for them.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Singh's good performance in the debates may have saved some NDP seats in BC, but Quebec is likely still a wipeout for them.
Our only hope is that the Separatists grab enough seats in Quebec from the Libs and the Conservatives take enough in Ontario to perhaps give Canada a Conservative minority govt.

Other result will be a Liberal minority govt. Only difference is a Conservative minority govt will lose house support and we will be back at the polls in 6 months. A Liberal minority govt will mean nothing gets done for 4 years which might actually be better than the current 4 years of destruction.

Sad either way.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 6:53 AM

One more reason not to vote Conservative:

NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS 1130) — Adequate funding for SkyTrain extensions in the Lower Mainland is not included in the Conservative platform, according to Lower Mainland mayors.

The Tories say they will spend $187 billion on transit projects over 15 years. The Liberal plan would spend the same amount over 12 years.

Jonathan Cote, Mayor of New Westminster and Chair of the TransLink Mayors’ Council says Scheer’s platform leaves Metro Vancouver behind.

“We were very surprised that the Conservative platform included billions of dollars for subway expansion in Toronto but completely left Metro Vancouver out of the equation and we’re a bit puzzled as to why,” he says...

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/10...ayors-council/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
One more reason not to vote Conservative:

NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS 1130) — Adequate funding for SkyTrain extensions in the Lower Mainland is not included in the Conservative platform, according to Lower Mainland mayors.

The Tories say they will spend $187 billion on transit projects over 15 years. The Liberal plan would spend the same amount over 12 years.

Jonathan Cote, Mayor of New Westminster and Chair of the TransLink Mayors’ Council says Scheer’s platform leaves Metro Vancouver behind.

“We were very surprised that the Conservative platform included billions of dollars for subway expansion in Toronto but completely left Metro Vancouver out of the equation and we’re a bit puzzled as to why,” he says...

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/10...ayors-council/
It’s not in the Liberal platform either. The ubc and Langley extensions are not funded. We actually gain because they include the Massey replacement.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
It’s not in the Liberal platform either. The ubc and Langley extensions are not funded. We actually gain because they include the Massey replacement.
Are you really trying to pass this off as fact? Trudeau was here promising funding and it's in their plan. The Con plan is to scale back $18B on infrastructure spending. Obviously some of that is going to be for projects promised in the lower mainland. How much and which projects, somebody should ask Scheer on camera.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Are you really trying to pass this off as fact? Trudeau was here promising funding and it's in their plan. The Con plan is to scale back $18B on infrastructure spending. Obviously some of that is going to be for projects promised in the lower mainland. How much and which projects, somebody should ask Scheer on camera.
Conservatives specialize in the spreading of lies. Witness the ads placed in Chinese language media last week claiming the Liberals were going to legalize all hard drugs:

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is defending his party’s decision to run Facebook advertisements claiming the Liberals plan to legalize hard drugs.

But speaking at an event in Burnaby, B.C., Saturday, he would not say why those ads have only been published in Chinese languages...

...The first ad to make the claim began appearing on Oct. 6 before it was removed for violating Facebook’s advertising policies. The ad features an image of a hand using a razor blade to cut lines of a white, powdered substance on a mirrored surface...

...In a statement, the Liberals said legalizing hard drugs is “clearly” not in the party’s plans, and accused the Conservatives of spreading “disinformation.”...

https://globalnews.ca/news/6025644/c...rugs-liberals/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 7:02 PM

I am surprised so many people want to vote for someone who has shown to be dishonest, who tried to corrupt the judiciary and someone who called the country a post national state among other things (these are treason level comments). Trudeau and his party should be un electable. Yet here were are. They do spend big on social media campaigns though and invested big time in media, including the CBC which is very sympathetic to say the least. Personally I used to be a NDP supporter for years until they begun to move to much towards identity politics. I am actually a huge Bernier fan and voted for him in the leadership race, there is big money being spent on trying to discredit and libel him and his party from all sides. In the riding I voted in (mail in ballot) his party has zero chance of wining but after thinking long and hard I decided to give the PPC my vote and show my support. If only we had proportional representation...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
I am surprised so many people want to vote for someone who has shown to be dishonest, who tried to corrupt the judiciary and someone who called the country a post national state among other things (these are treason level comments). Trudeau and his party should be un electable. Yet here were are. They do spend big on social media campaigns though and invested big time in media, including the CBC which is very sympathetic to say the least. Personally I used to be a NDP supporter for years until they begun to move to much towards identity politics. I am actually a huge Bernier fan and voted for him in the leadership race, there is big money being spent on trying to discredit and libel him and his party from all sides. In the riding I voted in (mail in ballot) his party has zero chance of wining but after thinking long and hard I decided to give the PPC my vote and show my support. If only we had proportional representation...
Truth it seems like each party attempts to demonize the other these days. You’d assume Trudeau would have resigned by now and if it had been any other past PM I suspect it would have happened.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:02 PM

Hilarious anyone would think the Cons would allocate more on infrastructure spending than the Liberals. It's the Cons' tried and true playbook to cut spending and services they deem "unnecessary" even if relied upon by subsets of the population.

The only thing that the Tories will bring for Vancouver are more housing speculators and realtors, which doesn't surprise me given the posts in this thread. Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome an easier mortgage renewal on my rental condo as well but not at the cost of having piss-poor leadership and backwards direction for the country.

Note, their supporters spend far more time and energy attacking Trudeau than talking up Scheer. I'd wager it's something along the lines of a 2:1 word count.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I completely agree with you on Trudeau. In my mind, SNC disqualified him and any Liberals who supported him.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
I completely agree with you on Trudeau. In my mind, SNC disqualified him and any Liberals who supported him.
IMO the warning lights have been flashing since C-51.

Alas, the NDP is mediocre, voting Conservative is a bad idea in the middle of a climate crisis, the Greens are too far left and the PPC is just nuts... the smart move for Justin would be to resign and let somebody else lead the Libs to victory.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:12 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Wow that is one hell of a lot of blue.

Edited: ...and Jody Wilson is projected by CBC to be back as an independent. This night is wild.

Last edited by MIPS; Oct 22, 2019 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:59 AM

Actually, it seems like the polls predicted this one fairly well. The Liberals win the population centres, and a minority government. The Conservatives take the rural areas, the NDP bounced back after the debate, and the BQ is once again a force in Quebec.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:22 AM

Liberals lost a lot of suburban seats. Look for the North Shore and Surrey to get federal largesse and Richmond none.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:22 AM

Was kinda hoping for Hedy Fry to go. Oh well.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:24 AM

We've been orange forever and that continues as of tonight.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, 1.6% of the vote would make them such a powerhouse in the HOC.. You have some very reactionary and extreme feelings towards Trudeau and a kind of politics that while inappropriate isn’t surprising, nor something I wouldn’t expect from other parties.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:12 PM

NDP held strong, no surprise CPC winning back WhiteRock and Langley, but Port Moody was one surprising win for them with a nonlocal candidate running, expected LPC to lose PoCo-Coq but they're looking like they got it.

Wanted to see more Green gains on the island

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:25 PM

The final results (assuming no changes due to recounts) are:

Liberal - 157
Conservative - 121
Bloc - 32
New Democrat - 24
Green - 3
Independent - 1

This could prove to be interesting. The Liberals need 170 to get things passed. The Bloc have already said they won't form a coalition with anyone and will vote by issue, so the Liberals are going to have to routinely do things to make either the Bloc or the NDP happy - and 11 of the NDP candidates are from BC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics