HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'm pretty sure the lights are supposed to be installed from Patterson Station all the way to Edmonds Station.
Holy crap!! That far?

I was thinking they would extend only as far as maybe Moda Tower or Imperial or perhaps the Royal Oak station at most.

That's going to run through long stretches of strictly residential (read : SFH's) areas where NIMBY complaints (like, LITERALLY, ....their backyards) should be expected.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Ooh it's a "boutique tower". It's not entirely a unique name as I found one at 6280 Willingdon (28 storeys, 617 units) too.

This one (assuming the info is current) is:

Surely one of them will have to change the name of their tower/development.

Having towers with the same name that close together in proximity seems like a brand-confusion nightmare for the marketing folks.

'Contour at Willingdon' versus 'Contour at Maywood'

I can see having the same name as another development or even existing tower that's several miles away (even in another municipality or city) - like say, at Lougheed versus Oakridge or Richmond.
Happens all the time.

But these two are literally a stone's throw away from one another.

I've seen developers change tower names when presales have already began and units have been moved, for even more mundane reasons than this, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

The Maywood tower developers seem like they were first on the ball with their tower name and all, so they may have a case for sticking to their guns. (and they've already set up their presentation center showroom just near the Royal Oak Skytrain Station)
But on the other hand, the Willingdon project is being done by Wesgroup who are a much bigger developer, and who might want to flex their muscle and also refuse to budge on changing their tower name.
In the end it really could end up being...

'Contour at Willingdon' and 'Contour at Maywood'

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Ooh it's a "boutique tower". It's not entirely a unique name as I found one at 6280 Willingdon (28 storeys, 617 units) too.
That's a realtor's website, and I suspect it was an initial name, but may not be the final choice. Wesgroup who will be developing it don't refer to it as Contour, it's just 6280 Willingdon, for now.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Holy crap!! That far? I was thinking they would extend only as far as maybe Moda Tower or Imperial or perhaps the Royal Oak station at most.
I agree that it feels a bit excessive to have several kilometres of special lighting and it will lose its special value. I think the colorful lighting should only be for the Metrotown stretch.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Holy crap!! That far?

I was thinking they would extend only as far as maybe Moda Tower or Imperial or perhaps the Royal Oak station at most.

That's going to run through long stretches of strictly residential (read : SFH's) areas where NIMBY complaints (like, LITERALLY, ....their backyards) should be expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I agree that it feels a bit excessive to have several kilometres of special lighting and it will lose its special value. I think the colorful lighting should only be for the Metrotown stretch.

The latest update from Daily Hive:
Quote:
Just in time for Christmas, the City of Burnaby has turned on the newly installed first section of bright and colourful accent lighting for the pillars and underside of the SkyTrain Expo Line elevated guideway within its Metrotown Downtown area.

Contracted crews are working this month on installing programmable digital LED lighting on SkyTrain’s columns between Willingdon Avenue and Metrotown Station.

This is a new permanent lighting feature to not only aesthetically illuminate the columns, but to visually improve the public spaces beneath the elevated tracks, and to improve the safety and visibility of the BC Parkway walking and cycling pathway that follows the Expo Line guideway in Burnaby.

The entire special lighting project will be installed in phases, spanning a total distance of about five km from Patterson Station to Edmonds Station. When fully complete by early 2023, a total of 178 guideway pillars will feature the new lighting.

New permanent programmable lighting installed on the SkyTrain Expo Line guideway near Metrotown Station. (City of Burnaby)
They've needed to add streetlights to the BC Parkway for a loooong time. I've wondered if adding lights to the guideway itself would be cheaper than installing lampposts. Having ridden it many times in the past, there are limited areas with SFH right next to it - it's mostly lowrise and industrial (and across the street) from Royal Oak to Edmonds.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 5:05 AM

Maybe they'll program the lights in the primarily residential areas with more subdued colours.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:47 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
They've needed to add streetlights to the BC Parkway for a loooong time.
Yes, the BC Parkway is super dark especially from Metrowtown to Royal Oak, and then Beresford and Buller to Taylor Park. These lights will be a big help, especially since the darkest portions are directly underneath the guideway.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Yes, the BC Parkway is super dark especially from Metrowtown to Royal Oak, and then Beresford and Buller to Taylor Park. These lights will be a big help, especially since the darkest portions are directly underneath the guideway.
I remember the section from Gilley down to Edmonds Station being particularly dark as the guideway is right overhead for most of it. I can't remember what they're planning for Edmonds (the bike path continues behind the station). From there it's basically on-ground until the OMC so they'll have to do streetlights instead.

About halfway between Edmonds and 22nd Street stations you get into New West and there's some streetlights in NW but as I rarely rode there I don't know how useful they are - or if they continue on past 22nd Street Station. It's annoying that it's taken this long and lighting along bike paths is still pretty hit and miss. Then again if not for the pandemic we wouldn't have as many people riding bikes and we'd still be waiting...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:31 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
I remember the section from Gilley down to Edmonds Station being particularly dark as the guideway is right overhead for most of it. I can't remember what they're planning for Edmonds (the bike path continues behind the station). From there it's basically on-ground until the OMC so they'll have to do streetlights instead.
There are some very well lit stretches of the Parkway in Burnaby, but they are sporadic. For example, Central Park is very bright from Patterson toward Kingsway for the first 400m, but then the official Parkway leaves the concrete sidewalk and cuts through the park, which has very few lights until you to the corner of Kingsway and Boundary. This won't be addressed since the lights are only being installed to Paterson Station, but I believe there is a separate project to illuminate the entire perimeter of the park. (It would also be nice to illuminate the path through the park from 45th in Vancouver to Maywood in Burnaby. It's a pretty major thoroughfare for cyclists but it's useless after 5 pm in the winter)

Another example is the corner of Rumble and Gilley. There is a small plaza on the corner that has lights, but the entire stretch behind homes in the alley, and the sidewalk portion along Prenter has no lights at all except for the occasional street light.

These lights will address some areas such as the Prenter stretch or on the other side of Gilley that you mentioned, since the parkway is directly under the guideway. But for the portion of Byrne Creek Park or along Beresford where the Parkway deviates from the guideway, it won't be nearly as useful.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
There are some very well lit stretches of the Parkway in Burnaby, but they are sporadic. For example, Central Park is very bright from Patterson toward Kingsway for the first 400m, but then the official Parkway leaves the concrete sidewalk and cuts through the park, which has very few lights until you to the corner of Kingsway and Boundary. This won't be addressed since the lights are only being installed to Paterson Station, but I believe there is a separate project to illuminate the entire perimeter of the park. (It would also be nice to illuminate the path through the park from 45th in Vancouver to Maywood in Burnaby. It's a pretty major thoroughfare for cyclists but it's useless after 5 pm in the winter)

Another example is the corner of Rumble and Gilley. There is a small plaza on the corner that has lights, but the entire stretch behind homes in the alley, and the sidewalk portion along Prenter has no lights at all except for the occasional street light.

These lights will address some areas such as the Prenter stretch or on the other side of Gilley that you mentioned, since the parkway is directly under the guideway. But for the portion of Byrne Creek Park or along Beresford where the Parkway deviates from the guideway, it won't be nearly as useful.
That run through Central Park got done due to Burnaby having to put in drainage pipes and they decided to put a paved lit path on top of it - otherwise I'm not sure it would be done by now. The stakeholders meetings I went to were in (I believe) 2007 and 2008 and look at how little has been done since then. So at this point any lighting is better than the practically none that's in place now. A few months after it's been completed we can make a list of the areas that need more.

On a side note I remember thinking I was going to have to push hard about the need for streetlights along the BC Parkway. At the Burnaby table were a couple of hardcore cyclists who were saying the same things I was.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 8:18 AM

Opinion: Do you have 'tower fatigue' in Burnaby? Then you might be a NIMBY

Resident thinks council is on the right track with housing plan
Contributed
about 14 hours ago

https://www.burnabynow.com/opinion/o...fFUsZS-qXMxJvo

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 2:36 AM

Maybe my search skills suck, but howcome no one is talking about Byrne Park by Polygon?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv39 View Post
Maybe my search skills suck, but howcome no one is talking about Byrne Park by Polygon?
It’s been a few months since I have driven past, how far along are they? Foundations must be at least started by now.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv39 View Post
Is that Polygon's Byrnepark? As that's a 4-storey woodframe lowrise and 2-storey townhouses, it doesn't really have the same impact on skyscraperpage that the tower projects have.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 6:58 AM

Quote:
More proposals for Metrotown by Belford.
Some of them had been proposed earlier back in 2017 but they were slowed/stalled by the slowdown in the Housing market and the pandemic.
Looks like they've come back to life.
A couple of them we talked about not that long ago a little while back (The Silver Ave. one which was tagged as 'Sun Towers 3' - perhaps they're not going with that labelling anymore - and the Telford rental, which I did speculate would be a rental because I thought it might end up being the de facto Sun Towers 4, and you can't be labelling a market tower "4" anything in BC and hope to get any sales. Looks like I was half-right. The M Spa Residences proposal (The McKay and Cassie Avenues Tower) has also been previously mentioned sometime far back):-

6630 Telford Avenue
31-storey market & non-market rental tower & a 15-storey market rental tower

6433 McKay Avenue and 6366 Cassie Avenue
a 39-storey condo tower

6444 Silver Avenue
a 41-storey condo tower

4355 Maywood Street
a 32-storey condo tower

Source: -

https://vancouvermarket.ca/2021/11/1...for-metrotown/
More Pics:

https://belfordproperties.ca/become/#belford-metrotown

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:39 PM
Peddling to progress

If it is open to non-residents my wife will love a spa next door to our building

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Artesia Metrotown, 31 floors.

They have an ad up for this in Metrotown Station - "the quiet side of Metrotown"...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 4:46 AM

Quote:
They have an ad up for this in Metrotown Station - "the quiet side of Metrotown"...
Is this what selling looks like now?

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 7:00 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Is this what selling looks like now?

Video Link
that guy is text book douche canoe

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 10:05 PM

"And guess what?! My MOM lives nearby, and if she lives there, you KNOW it's good!" <<Big toothy smile>>

No doubt this would totally sell now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley