HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportvids View Post
So shouldn't he/she just simply use a third party ad website to place ads on his website like everybody else instead of basically begging for money with a annoying monthly membership pop up that comes up five seconds after visiting his site every single time. Or at the very least if he's going to ask for us to join don't use a annoying pop up that covers everything up and just place a banner off to the side or something.
Yes it's a great website that I enjoy reading ( as long as it's not about a pointless three story townhouse ) but I hate aggressive pop ups.
Dude the popup is set to appear only once a week (For members logged in the popup doesn't appear at all). I could complain how you read my site on a semi-regular basis and don't contribute. I don't know what kind of work you do, but I imagine you would quit if you weren't getting paid. I could make a lot more money doing something else, but I'm passionate about smart growth and seeing Salt Lake grow into a mature, smart city and my reporting is helping steer the conversation toward that smart growth. If you take an issue with what I do, I ask that you don't read my site and instead find something else to be offended about.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 2:35 AM

On another note, I had a conversation with a city official and the U.S. Census Bureau is mostly likely under valuing our population growth. We could have already passed 200,000 sometime last year, which would make more sense when you look at how many units we've been adding. In 2020 we'll know for sure, but the Census Bureau underestimated Philadelphia's 2010 population by over 30,000 people and over estimated Phoenix's 2010 by about one hundred thousand.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Dude the popup is set to appear only once a week (For members logged in the popup doesn't appear at all). I could complain how you read my site on a semi-regular basis and don't contribute. I don't know what kind of work you do, but I imagine you would quit if you weren't getting paid. I could make a lot more money doing something else, but I'm passionate about smart growth and seeing Salt Lake grow into a mature, smart city and my reporting is helping steer the conversation toward that smart growth. If you take an issue with what I do, I ask that you don't read my site and instead find something else to be offended about.
So basically you set your website up to be as annoying as possible until we give you money to make it stop. Bravo, your cool. And you saying it is set up to pop up once a week is bullshit. I go on there every time you post a story and I get it every single time. Maybe ill just stop going to your stupid website all together since I can get just as much info or even more from news sites. At least they don't beg me for money.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:31 AM

Quote:
I have to say that I visit your site multiple times a week and the popup does show up every time. And it often pops up multiple times per day. You may want to check your settings or find a different solution.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 4:42 AM

Quote:
So basically you set your website up to be as annoying as possible until we give you money to make it stop. Bravo, your cool. And you saying it is set up to pop up once a week is bullshit. I go on there every time you post a story and I get it every single time. Maybe ill just stop going to your stupid website all together since I can get just as much info or even more from news sites. At least they don't beg me for money.
Imagine being this angry about a popup...

Last I remember, the SL Tribune and Deseret News both show an intrusive popup on every single article. I guess you'll just have to sit in the dark then.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
You realize that advertising make it possible for most websites to even exist right? I read that site all the time and have never had anything that seems overwhelming. I actually brows the web 95% of the time on my phone though... seems like mobile versions of sites handle ads beter.

I wish skyscraper forums had a mobile version. I swear this forum is the most outdated shit that I visite on a regular basis. Most web traffic comes from mobile now days. They would probably get more traffic if the would update. It’s kind of annoying trying to type on here from a mobile device.... side rant.
I find it to be the exact opposite. Mobile websites are usually awful with ads and it sometimes brings the whole site to a halt, in my experience. Would much rather browse on my desktop.

I put airportvids on my ignore list. If he's not going to be banned, I would definitely recommend everyone else do the same. Then when people stop responding to him, he'll just leave.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:14 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
lol

As if there's hundreds upon hundreds of murderers roaming Rio Grande like it's 1970s era New York.
Yeah. LOLZ. "Three men, ages 35, 40 and 58, were hospitalized with head wounds. A fourth man — 55-year-old Kevin McCann — died of massive head trauma.
According to an arrest document, Kegler, screaming, "Die, motherf-----," struck the victim repeatedly with a large concrete paving stone.

Rio Grande/Depot is as bad as anything in urban America. The official numbers are bunk. All crime is vastly under reported in the district because it is so prevalent and most of it happens to people with records who don't want to go to jail. Seeing our city tout a "7%" reduction in violent crime in the area is a disgrace.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:24 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Thanks for the excellent report Isaac. I'm skeptical that this will ever get built. Until the area is safe nobody will go. I'm dumbfounded that this has been under review by the city for six years and they now have a set of pretty pictures. I wonder how many millions those drawing cost. There is no money in the RDA budget because it was raided to put lipstick on the homeless situation maybe in four years. It seems like everything the city officially touches turns to flaming garbage. As exemplified my councilman Luke saying he wants to duct tape affordable housing to it now. "Development by committee". The best thing they could do is sell it and every other parcel they are land banking for Cowboywaterburry.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 6:18 AM

Quote:
If you read my site daily, that suggests I am writing about stuff that isn't being covered by the other news outlets. The news isn't free, the Trib utilizes three to four times the ad space that I do and even more popups. You seem like a miserable person and I probably shouldn't engage in this discussion any further because it won't go anywhere. If you don't like Building Salt Lake, then you shouldn't read it, a pretty simple solution to your problem.

Last edited by asies1981; Jul 27, 2017 at 6:31 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I have to say that I visit your site multiple times a week and the popup does show up every time. And it often pops up multiple times per day. You may want to check your settings or find a different solution.
Are you using different browsers each visit?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Thanks for the excellent report Isaac. I'm skeptical that this will ever get built. Until the area is safe nobody will go. I'm dumbfounded that this has been under review by the city for six years and they now have a set of pretty pictures. I wonder how many millions those drawing cost. There is no money in the RDA budget because it was raided to put lipstick on the homeless situation maybe in four years. It seems like everything the city officially touches turns to flaming garbage. As exemplified my councilman Luke saying he wants to duct tape affordable housing to it now. "Development by committee". The best thing they could do is sell it and every other parcel they are land banking for Cowboywaterburry.
You can tell the financial interests in the area are strong when the Governor and Hughes are getting involved. I think we'll see movement in the area once the other homeless resource centers open.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 8:16 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Yeah. LOLZ. "Three men, ages 35, 40 and 58, were hospitalized with head wounds. A fourth man — 55-year-old Kevin McCann — died of massive head trauma.
According to an arrest document, Kegler, screaming, "Die, motherf-----," struck the victim repeatedly with a large concrete paving stone.

Rio Grande/Depot is as bad as anything in urban America. The official numbers are bunk. All crime is vastly under reported in the district because it is so prevalent and most of it happens to people with records who don't want to go to jail. Seeing our city tout a "7%" reduction in violent crime in the area is a disgrace.
Sometimes I listen to the EMT channel. They go over there a lot. Anyone who doesn’t think there is a problem over there is delusional. I alsmost moved to that new apartment building across from pioneer park. Then some crazy dude started running across the street at me while I was looking at it. I was like fuck that. Plus they were charging more then where I live, was in a way worse part of town, and doesn’t have even close to the same view.

I think it’s funny. I’ve noticed sites referring to it as the homeless district instead of the Rio grand district... only two more years of that shit. There is still the homlessplace over on 400 west though. I’m normally against removing islands, but I think all the lawn along 400w should be removed. Same thing on 500s. There are no islands there but huge areas between the sidewalk and road where the homeless run their stolen bike operation that the city just turns a blind eye to.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 8:17 AM

Quote:

Do you have anything to back up your statement or is it just a "hunch"?

Obviously the area has gotten bad. I'm not going to argue that. I am NOT saying it's not in need of some serious improvement. But to say it's as bad as anything in urban America sounds like blatant hyperbole to me. Unless you can provide factual basis behind saying "crime is vastly underreported" (vastly underreported enough to make it comparable to big city crime regions) then you just sound like a scaremonger.

Last edited by bob rulz; Jul 27, 2017 at 8:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Are you using different browsers each visit?
No, although I switch between an iMac, MacBook Pro and an iPad throughout my day. In one session, I've clicked on a few articles and it popped up each time a different article loaded.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:46 PM
They all float down here

Quote:

As bad as anything in urban America? C'mon now. Using hyperbole to make your point only undermines your argument.

Salt Lake has a very big problem but Jesus Christ, some of you have either never visited another city or are completely obviousness to reality if you truly believe the Rio Grande is as bad as some of the worst places urban America has to offer.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:44 PM

All anyone has to do is search the internet/google for homeless, panhandling crisis in ______ "fill in the blank anywhere USA". Most efforts being made across the U.S. to control the issue seem to be meeting with a great deal of challenge from the courts system, and or are giving the ACLU and mountains of attorneys a wonderful excuse for raking in the 'I've got a litigation mega dollars'

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 2:12 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
All anyone has to do is search the internet/google for homeless, panhandling crisis in ______ "fill in the blank anywhere USA". Most efforts being made across the U.S. to control the issue seem to be meeting with a great deal of challenge from the courts system, and or are giving the ACLU and mountains of attorneys a wonderful excuse for raking in the 'I've got a litigation mega dollars'
Ah yes. It's the evil ACLU!

It couldn't be the fact that, for the last 40 years, the U.S. government has completely underfunded mental health. Nope. It couldn't be the fact, for the last 40 years, the U.S. government has completely underfunded social services that help assist not only in getting homeless people off the street but also employed. It couldn't be the fact that, for the last 40 years, the U.S. government has underfunded, intentionally so with the hopes of privatizing, the VA system, which means a great deal of homeless vets don't receive the treatment they need.

The homeless epidemic is a direct result of Reagan America, perpetrated by Bush and then Clinton and now Trump.

But yes. Let's blame the little ol' ACLU.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 2:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Dude, STOP ASKING FOR MONEY with your annoying pop ups. Jesus Christ get a real job if you really need cash. You are worst then the panhandlers.
Think before you speak.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 2:41 PM
BANNED

I don't know much about Rio Grande but I doubt its as bad as the projects in many large cities. Although I do remember my first visit to Salt Lake I remembered for a city that small that there were some areas that I just didn't feel comfortable in and the homeless problem is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. (I say send them all to California

But I wouldn't go as far as to say its comparable to Compton, California/ Oak Cliff, Texas. Maybe its one of the worst in the Mountain West Region, as most cities in the mountain west seem to be very safe, Even Denver being the clear Alpha in the Mountain West, they don't seem to be on par with a lot of other big cities in America when it comes to crime.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:01 PM

I don't disagree that all of these things have definitely added to the perfect storm that we have now all over America. However, certain parts of the legal system and lobby groups do use it to their monetary advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Ah yes. It's the evil ACLU!

It couldn't be the fact that, for the last 40 years, the U.S. government has completely underfunded mental health. Nope. It couldn't be the fact, for the last 40 years, the U.S. government has completely underfunded social services that help assist not only in getting homeless people off the street but also employed. It couldn't be the fact that, for the last 40 years, the U.S. government has underfunded, intentionally so with the hopes of privatizing, the VA system, which means a great deal of homeless vets don't receive the treatment they need.

The homeless epidemic is a direct result of Reagan America, perpetrated by Bush and then Clinton and now Trump.

But yes. Let's blame the little ol' ACLU.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West