HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 3:43 AM
I am a typical

Ontario has beer and wine in grocery stores now, and not just limited to Ontarian or Canadian products either. They even give free samples to shoppers.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ parkade is coming.
Why?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:38 PM
surely you agree with me

Good question. I think it's being pushed by the concert hall. I've heard an RFP for design services is coming within the next couple months.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:46 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Good question. I think it's being pushed by the concert hall. I've heard an RFP for design services is coming within the next couple months.
Makes sense. There's never enough space in the concert hall parkade and it's often hard to find parking within a 10 minute walk, especially when there are other events going on at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Ontario has beer and wine in grocery stores now, and not just limited to Ontarian or Canadian products either. They even give free samples to shoppers.
How did they ever get that past The Beer Store monopoly in Ontario?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 2:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
That's interesting. Because I know the MCCC (Manitoba Centennial Centre) is pushing hard to develop their land on Rupert and Main St into a 6 storey parkade. Are you still referring to a parkade project on James?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
About as dumb as putting govt. run liquor kiosks in grocery stores in Manitoba, wouldn't want someone putting legal liquor products in their shopping cart off the shelves and paying for them with their groceries and having a non-MGEU a sales clerk ringing up the bottle and collecing the taxes.
It's so ridiculous. In the states it all just sits on the shelves and when you go to the store they still follow the government rules. ID at checkout, only sell in proper times. In Minnesota you still can't buy booze on Sundays (wild), we begged the cashier at the store but they said it's the law.

I've heard the LGA argument in Manitoba that (underage) people could just go in and steal it... Well we don't ID upon entry in MLCCs, so anyone could do the same there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Man Manitoba and pretty much all of north America has been behind the curve for years. I don't remember a time when I couldn't buy a €1.50 bottle of wine in pretty much any grocery store in Europe. I still think that in order for that to work though, we need a better booze culture. People seem to have more respect for alcohol in Europe and their endgame isn't just getting smashed. It's just another normal part of life. Wine and beer are staples in most households.

And yes of course there's partying but it doesn't seem like youth are as obsessed with getting drunk every weekend and you see far less alcoholics and public drunkenness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Culture follows access.
Exactly. Our "drinking culture" here is the way it is because we put such limitations on it. Like seriously what's the issue if I want to go walk my dog with a beer or glass of wine in my hand? Is the world going to end? Instead, I'll get extra drunk before I leave the house so I have a buzz for my whole walk...

The argument about people getting more drunk, or the spin gov creates about saying it'll effect at-risk people and alcoholics is ludicrous. People who are drunk and causing issues on the street are going to do that regardless, they're already drinking now and it's illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
In Ontario can these stores sell liquor after 6 pm or are they subject to ludicrous LCBO rules still?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:24 PM
BANNED

^ Minny recently changed their Sunday liquor law:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/0...-liquor-sales/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:01 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
How did they ever get that past The Beer Store monopoly in Ontario?
Kathleen Wynne has a 14% approval rating right now. She's desperate for support. That's why we've been getting so many populist things like alcohol in grocery stores, a fast-tracked marijuana distribution network, minimum income, and a $15 minimum wage. The jury is still out on whether these can balance the scales: the other end is being bogged down by the privatization of the provincial hydro company, selling off of the LCBO, and the usual scandal baggage that a party accumulates after 14 years in power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
In Ontario can these stores sell liquor after 6 pm or are they subject to ludicrous LCBO rules still?
They can't sell liquor yet, just wine and beer, but they're allowed to do so from 9am to 11pm Monday to Saturday and 11am to 6pm on Sunday. Beer Store and LCBO both have shorter operating hours than that (usually 10am to 10pm and 12pm to 5pm Sunday but the suburban locations tend to open later and close sooner). And we haven't seen any real issues arise from it, other than vagrants gravitating around the stores selling it. (One outside our Superstore today had a sign that say "Homeless and Goobless".)

They're only allowed to put the alcohol in a single area of the store so they can't have a few cans randomly placed beside the meat or anything like that but it's still incredible progress from a decade ago.

We're still pretty archaic with our public drinking policies though. Public drinking is illegal so to get a license for an outdoor event, the area subject to license must be entirely enclosed with controlled access. For festivals that charge a fee that's easy—they're controlled by gate so they can get a license for the entire grounds. But for street parties or public events, they still have to have a barricaded "beer tent". It's going to be a while before we have a food truck with a liquor license but I think if we push hard enough, especially if Wynne returns with a minority next year, we'll see it before 2022.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:29 AM

Manitoba

Beer at vendors every day until 2:30 am. 3:30 am for special event days. We don't have it so bad. But not as good as QUEBEC!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:36 AM
I am a typical

Newfoundland sells it in corner stores too apparently. It's kind of weird that you have to go to a hotel to buy beer, it makes more sense to sell it at a grocer. It's a food product.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 4:31 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
That's interesting. Because I know the MCCC (Manitoba Centennial Centre) is pushing hard to develop their land on Rupert and Main St into a 6 storey parkade. Are you still referring to a parkade project on James?
No. It's been moved to the site on Main Street. As you say.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Beer at vendors every day until 2:30 am. 3:30 am for special event days. We don't have it so bad. But not as good as QUEBEC!
In Quebec "vendors" (generally dépanneurs) can only sell beer and wine until 11 pm. At that time the fridges are locked.

But you can buy alcohol in bars legally until 3 am.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:30 PM

Doing the river walk today. Just spectacular.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 12:17 AM
Speak the truth, then run

An unusual view of downtown Winnipeg I thought might be worth sharing:

Spherical Image: Looking North from the Medical Arts Building Parkade
(Well, technically it's looking in all directions, but the interesting bit is to the north.)

Edited to remove... me.

Clicking on the placeholder image below should take you to the viewer page. You can zoom in, pan around, go to full screen etc.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Off topic. Elon Musk is what all entrepreneurs should strive to be. Sure he's making money.

But he's revolutionizing the world. Literally. Tesla, SpaceX, Boring Company (for Hyperloop). He will put people on Mars and beyond before NASA (or anyone else) will even come close. Not only that, but his BFR (big f'n rocket) will enable humans to put gigantic satellites in space, further revolutionizing day to day life.

He is the man.
If striving to get government handouts is what entrepreneurs should strive to be, then yes. Musk's companies have benefitted from $5 billion in government money. And Tesla is not profitable, it's losing hundreds of millions.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:50 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
If striving to get government handouts is what entrepreneurs should strive to be, then yes.
...Where available, just like any other large company or entrepreneur. Including the other automobile manufacturers, who get subsidies when THEY open new manufacturing plants or research electric cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
And Tesla is not profitable, it's losing hundreds of millions.
It became profitable once they started selling cars in large numbers.

But then they invested in the Gigafactory and Model 3. That's the nature of business: Make a major investment, take a loss up front, but get a return on that investment later.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:21 PM

Space industry is full of government handouts. SpaceX is way more 'profitable' or efficient if you will than every other private space contractor by a long shot. It's not just handouts, but they get paid for launching cargo, etc. Hence why they will launch half of the worlds orbital payloads next year. HALF. 30 out of 60 launches globally by one private company. They're on pace for 20 launches this year. That is outstanding.

And yes Hyperloop is highly conceptual.

My point being he does things the way they should be done.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Liberals narrow list of contenders for 'supercluster' innovation hubs to 9

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supe...list-1.4347309
Would love to see if any Winnipeg groups actually applied for this money. Disappointing there's nothing from Manitoba on the shortlist.

Kind of surprised to see nothing from a supposed on-the-rise tech city, home to a few of Canada's biggest tech startups, Innovation Alley businesses, cleanest energy in Canada, everything RRC does... and we have an Innovation committee on council and some of the biggest players in Ag.

UPDATE:

Here's a local group that would seem to fit perfectly:

Quote:
Sky's the limit for local ag company after it partners with satellite imaging outfit
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...450363233.html

Last edited by buzzg; Oct 11, 2017 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:16 PM

Please take this discussion to the Elon Musk thread

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan