Culture follows access. Europe has such a chill drinking culture because they've never made a puritanical stink about it. The greatest exception to European drinking culture is the UK. As the home of the Puritans, it has the most North American laws about liquor sales. As a result, it has some of the worst, sloppiest, most violent drunks on earth. Let the pub stay open later than 11 and I guarantee you won't see crowds of drunken idiots by 8.
I understand the Swedes also have restrictive liquor laws and big problems with binge drinking.
There's no reason we can't achieve European drinking laws and culture. Tear off the Band-Aid and we might be in for a few years of drunken stupidity while people figure out how to act. Or we could just keep on the path of gradual, steady liberalization. The zoo applied for the liquor license for the whole space. That's a big win, and it'll show the skeptics that available alcohol doesn't equal heavily consumed alcohol. The next step I'd like to see is something like the Forks licensing its entirety. Or certain public parks. The tipping point will pass and nobody will even notice.
The harder fight will be convincing the government to give up its lucrative and gouging liquor monopoly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar
Thanks for the info., shouldn't have stopped him from posting here though, he had a lot of insight into urban issues.
|
I ran into galston in real life a few months ago and I asked him why he never posts or blogs anymore. He has actual influence now so he has no need to, and has too much privileged information he can't share.
I often miss his posts though. The recent plans for more James Ave condos
without that heavily subsidized parkade having gone up is particularly vindicating of what he stood for.