HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 4:04 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
1221 S Congress.

It’s one of the State House buildings.
Thanks. Not as far south as I was hoping.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Thanks. Not as far south as I was hoping.
I'm not sure how far south you were hoping, but this new development is definitely helping to fill the gap between SoCo and downtown. It would be quite astounding/impressive to someday see a more constant flow of pedestrian traffic all the way through and in between both areas. All the more reason to have the recent Congress Ave proposal continue further south than just the bridge. IMHO

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I'm not sure how far south you were hoping, but this new development is definitely helping to fill the gap between SoCo and downtown. It would be quite astounding/impressive to someday see a more constant flow of pedestrian traffic all the way through and in between both areas. All the more reason to have the recent Congress Ave proposal continue further south than just the bridge. IMHO
Yea, it's really astounding to see how different South Congress will be this time next year.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Yea, it's really astounding to see how different South Congress will be this time next year.
The flow between north and south will improve mightily when the Statesman site/South Shore plan finally starts building out.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
The flow between north and south will improve mightily when the Statesman site/South Shore plan finally starts building out.
Don't forget the potential sale and redevelopment of the Texas School for the Deaf.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:35 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Don't forget the potential sale and redevelopment of the Texas School for the Deaf.
There is already pushback on selling the school. It's starting to look like if any land is going to be put up at all, maybe the strip along Congress but the state is getting a lot of complaints from parents/alumni and students. Even several state lawmakers are starting to oppose the idea. What will likely happen instead is the idea to sell will bolster the need for the state to invest more into the upkeep of the school.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 7:41 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Selfish reasons. My family has a parcel far south. Hoping development continues from both directions.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 2:27 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Selfish reasons. My family has a parcel far south. Hoping development continues from both directions.
I think it will. I've said this before over the years but I will continue to say it. There will be a shift in growth patterns from north to south. It's been in increments but we will see a larger shift as time goes on.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 12:12 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

https://communityimpact.com/local-ne...-south-austin/

Moontower owner bringing a pub/burger joint called Brick Top's to the area. It's going in the southernmost suite facing Manchaca Road. It's next to Shogun, the Japanese restaurant, and a donut shop.

It's basically under the last 'r' in "Indian Roller" on the map I previously posted.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 7:02 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
[url]It's basically under the last 'r' in "Indian Roller" on the map I previously posted.
This was oddly helpful in finding the location, haha. Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:30 PM

Quote:
All the more reason to have the recent Congress Ave proposal continue further south than just the bridge. IMHO
Congress south of the bridge (technically south of Riverside) is covered by Project Connect. If that passes, it will substantially change the street profile.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's been in increments but we will see a larger shift as time goes on.
It's been in increments? So you're claiming there's already the start of a shift? Based on what?

Unless something changes in Austin's regulatory regime, for the foreseeable future growth in the north will outweigh growth in the south. There's so many more environmental restraints in the south (Karst, Edwards recharge zone, etc.) that development in the south will continue to be more spread out and less dense.

You've also got the fact that Austin's city limits are unequal, stretching much more to the north than to the south (of downtown/the river). This means the one municipality most interested in encouraging density will be doing more of that in the North.

Also transit service(and the density it encourages and enables) will be more present to the north (both because of the city of Austin's geographic shape but also because the other member cities are to the north). For example https://capmetro.org/service_maps/service_area.aspx

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:12 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
It's been in increments? So you're claiming there's already the start of a shift? Based on what?

Unless something changes in Austin's regulatory regime, for the foreseeable future growth in the north will outweigh growth in the south. There's so many more environmental restraints in the south (Karst, Edwards recharge zone, etc.) that development in the south will continue to be more spread out and less dense.

You've also got the fact that Austin's city limits are unequal, stretching much more to the north than to the south (of downtown/the river). This means the one municipality most interested in encouraging density will be doing more of that in the North.

Also transit service(and the density it encourages and enables) will be more present to the north (both because of the city of Austin's geographic shape but also because the other member cities are to the north). For example https://capmetro.org/service_maps/service_area.aspx
Actually I would argue that the fact that we have environmentally sensitive areas that will cause more density in the areas that are not in the sensitive areas. You also seem to forget southeast Austin is part of south Austin. Starting to see a lot of new developments near the airport.

I've already made my feelings quite clear about Capitol Metro, I don't feel like getting into that argument again. Through I will say that the cities to the south are growing fast, the need for transit options grows south as well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Actually I would argue that the fact that we have environmentally sensitive areas that will cause more density in the areas that are not in the sensitive areas. You also seem to forget southeast Austin is part of south Austin. Starting to see a lot of new developments near the airport.
I'm not forgetting about SE Austin. But compare SE Austin to NE Austin, and North Central, and NW.
I'm not claiming that there is or will be no development in South Austin. But there has been and will be more development north.

Quote:
I've already made my feelings quite clear about Capitol Metro, I don't feel like getting into that argument again. Through I will say that the cities to the south are growing fast, the need for transit options grows south as well.
I'd love it if Kyle, Buda, heck even San Marcos joined CapMetro. But none of them have shown any interest. And it looks like sales taxes aren't available for them (doesn't help that the county takes .5%).

And maybe sometime in the future they'll do a partnership like Round Rock is doing with CapMetro. but even under such a partnership, they won't pay for as much service as a member committing a full 1% will get.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 5:08 PM
Meh

This conversation reminds me of the barbershop scene from Coming to America. All it needs is a squabble about the name changes/nicknames of our urban corridors.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/358951...93495/?lp=true

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 5:37 PM

“His momma call him Cassius, imma call him Cassius”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 5:42 PM

Why are we arguing which area of town develops/gentrifies quicker than the other?

Plenty of projects are moving dirt all over the city - including South Austin.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This conversation reminds me of the barbershop scene from Coming to America. All it needs is a squabble about the name changes/nicknames of our urban corridors.
Shoot me if I start referring to it as LowBurn.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:37 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
Why are we arguing which area of town develops/gentrifies quicker than the other?

Plenty of projects are moving dirt all over the city - including South Austin.
I get where jdawg is coming from. South Austin has always been a bit of an afterthought. UT, Govt and Downtown are all north of the river. As lifelong South Austinites, we sometimes feel ignored.

Personally, I don't really care. I prefer South Austin much more. I like the undeveloped natural areas that Novacek mentioned. And he's right, North Austin will continue to grow faster than South. That's fine with me.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:21 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

South Shore Central, South Shore/Riverside, SoCo, SoLa all are getting denser and will continue to do so. In the coming years the St. Elmo District will join them. Every empty lot in my hood is being built on, lots that had sat empty since before I was born are now being filled with new housing. South Austin is indeed growing and I see it picking up even more over the next 5 years. Izppjb hit the hammer on the nail about how South Austin had been treated for years but things are changing. More companies are choosing the southside. I'm also proud of our natural areas and I hope we preserve them going forward and sure the north will also continue to build up but what some are not considering is that more and more people are getting tired of the hassle, the traffic and commute times in far north Austin/Williamson County and are making the choice to move south. My good friend Tiff recently moved down to Buda from Round Rock because she was tired of the commute times she had to deal with and while she still deals with traffic, her commute is shorter and fact is she is closer to Downtown now than she was when she was up in Round Rock.

Let me be clear, I sure as hell don't want the Southside to be anything like North Austin, which by the way I don't consider DT to be apart of, Its Central Austin. East Austin is not part of the north and neither is West Austin.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Apr 11, 2019 at 3:39 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin