HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 1:58 PM

Nice, thanks for the pic. I walk by there every day and somehow didn't realize that it was going up.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:35 PM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 6:21 PM

Its been such a slow built! Hopefully the early spring can speed things up

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 6:07 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

This thing is finally above grade.

It got me thinking, aside from this and Dream, what are some other taller projects that are in the excavation/ beginning of concrete phase?

All the towers in the CBD are topped out/nearing exterior completion. After years of activity along Rideau corridor we only have 1 tower left approaching topped out. Carling/417 is in the same boat. Centerpointe and Westboro. Zibi/Lebreton and Hull sector as well.

What's in the pipeline? Are we actually going to see a slow down after the largest construction boom I've seen in Ottawa due to costs and interest rates?

I'm drawing a blank on taller projects with shovels in the ground.

Presumably we have a follow-up tower at Lebreton, Releve and Montreal rd coming but still a ways away.

There are quite a few approved proposals going through the pages.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post

It got me thinking, aside from this and Dream, what are some other taller projects that are in the excavation/ beginning of concrete phase?
Off the top of my head, we have:

1. 770 Brookfield (Phase 2) - Student apartment block nearing grade.

2. 1354 Carling - Concrete for 2 high-rise towers has just started.

3. 300 Tremblay - Mid-rise apartment currently undergoing piling work.

4. 265 Catherine - Excavation should start later this year or next.

5. 70 Richmond - Excavation should start very soon.

6. 818 Gladstone - Concrete for 2 mid-rise buildings nearing grade.

7. 70 Nicholas - Concrete for high-rise nearing grade.

There are many projects which have been approved but are waiting around until demo or their first phases are finished or until contracts are secured. These could start within the next year or two (Claridge East Flats Phase II, LUX Phase II, 150 Laurier, Zibi Block 204, 2 Montreal Rd. Phase II, 100 Argyle, and likely a few others).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:52 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
Off the top of my head, we have:

1. 770 Brookfield (Phase 2) - Student apartment block nearing grade.

2. 1354 Carling - Concrete for 2 high-rise towers has just started.

3. 300 Tremblay - Mid-rise apartment currently undergoing piling work.

4. 265 Catherine - Excavation should start later this year or next.

5. 70 Richmond - Excavation should start very soon.

6. 818 Gladstone - Concrete for 2 mid-rise buildings nearing grade.

7. 70 Nicholas - Concrete for high-rise nearing grade.

There are many projects which have been approved but are waiting around until demo or their first phases are finished or until contracts are secured. These could start within the next year or two (Claridge East Flats Phase II, LUX Phase II, 150 Laurier, Zibi Block 204, 2 Montreal Rd. Phase II, 100 Argyle, and likely a few others).
I forgot about Nicholas. But for the most part I was thinking about stuff 20/25+ floors. So there it feels like there will be a bit of a lul in the 'Hi-Rise' builds.

On the plus side.. most of the shorter stuff we build looks better than the towers pound for pound.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:20 PM

In addition to what Rogue listed, there's Marriott Renaissance, which seems to have stalled but should start up again any day now? W/E III has a crane. Maisonneuve blockbuster mid-rise with the old caserne de pompier is starting up.

Hoping the twin 40s towers on Scott will start this year. Sort of sounds like that will be the case. Gladstone Village first tower should start this year as well.

I'm having trouble. Definitely a slow down right now, but certainly not a full "recession", so to speak.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
In addition to what Rogue listed, there's Marriott Renaissance, which seems to have stalled but should start up again any day now? W/E III has a crane. Maisonneuve blockbuster mid-rise with the old caserne de pompier is starting up.

Hoping the twin 40s towers on Scott will start this year. Sort of sounds like that will be the case. Gladstone Village first tower should start this year as well.

I'm having trouble. Definitely a slow down right now, but certainly not a full "recession", so to speak.
The two 40s on Scott are definitely not this year according to this article https://renx.ca/colonnade-bridgeport...pment-pipeline

Gorman is also pressing hard to start a third project, a 22-storey rental tower at 1950 Scott St. which is to contain 220 apartments, by the end of 2024.

“We’re pushing on a project on Scott Street which we are hopeful we can make by the end of 2024, but it is a tight timeline to get into the ground on that one,” he said. “The other projects we have we haven’t advanced as far down the path on those projects.

“So they will probably not be coming out of the ground until 2025.”

Those projects are a two-tower purpose-built rental at 2026 Scott St., and the multi-phased 2000 City Park Dr.,

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 9:16 PM

My mistake. Sounds like we may be able too add 1950 Scott though.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 5:02 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:

I think it's safe to assume several of these existing projects will start up as a "tower 2" following substantial completion of the first. Then again where is tower 2 of Story? then again maybe not

Just a bit of a lul on fresh start tower locations.

Progress on Gladstone Village would be amazing. Let's connect the dots on that new school and station and even that new tower opposite this one taking over the antique store(RIP) that looks like it might provide a proper vertical circulation to Somerset st. from City Center with that staircase.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=211216&page=2

Currently walking from Beyond the Pale or wherever you may happen to find yourself at City Center (Orange Monkey ) if you wish to get up to Somerset quickly you have to walk through that oddball underpass next to the Orange Gallery and then loop around over a grassy knoll of private ish property.

I'm really looking forward for this entire area to be connected by various MUPs, pathways and staircases/ramps.

At the risk of going on yet another tangent... On my playthough of Cyberpunk 2077... I realized how much I enjoyed ditching the car and mostly running through the city from destination to destination. You had 5 vertical layers of city all connected 6 ways from Sunday horizontally with something to see at any given point in time. Endless pathways and alleys and staircases. Stay frosty my Chooms.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 9:51 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

This tower will rise quickly due to the small floor plate. This a building that will stand out from multiple views in a good way from various locations of the city.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
This tower will rise quickly due to the small floor plate. This a building that will stand out from multiple views in a good way from various locations of the city.
Looking forward to it. This and Dream will help bridge some major gaps in the skyline.

Would you happen to know if they are sticking with the initial design, and if they'll be using high end materials like East Flats?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 8:46 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I'll say that standing on the bridge adjacent to this, over the train tracks is a really fun view of the city. Especially when you are aware of all the upcoming projects that will fill in the foreground which is fairly blank at the moment but allows some great views of the western CDB/Lebreton skyline filling in along with Dow's Lake.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 5:16 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

This one is moving right along:

Photo by me
July 8, 2024

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 5:53 PM

Nice! Finally above grade! next milestone is to see if they've kept the same design with the nice variation in balcony just like the Condo version was suppose to be.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 5:44 PM

Smile

Does anybody have recent photos of this tower. (Which floor are they up to? )

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemay View Post
Does anybody have recent photos of this tower. (Which floor are they up to? )
Latest I've found, from Marcus CLS on Skyrise, July 26.

https://ottawa.skyrisecities.com/for...e.37550/page-2

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 6:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Latest I've found, from Marcus CLS on Skyrise, July 26.

https://ottawa.skyrisecities.com/for...e.37550/page-2
Thanks7

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 11:14 AM

That's some pretty quick progress!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 12:05 PM

And that's a bit of an old pic. They're 2 floors higher now iirc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa