HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Once again Richmond gets left out What is it about the 4th biggest municipality in the region that it consistently gets overlooked in favour of Coquitlam and Langley?
Every Richmond project worth mentioning already has it's own thread.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 7:33 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Every Richmond project worth mentioning already has it's own thread.
All major Burnaby projects have their own threads too, but to be fair the Burnaby thread was stared by the booster to end all boosters. It doesn't actually matter, I just genuinely find Richmond's low visibility on here interesting. Not making any judgments on it.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 9:23 PM

Bickering aside, I personally would love to see more defined subcategories of all encompassing threads stickied at the top.

There's a LOT going on in the suburbs right now and it can be tough to keep track of it all.
  • North Shore
  • Richmond
  • Burnaby
  • Surrey & SoF
  • Tri Cities

Thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 9:29 PM

Quote:
All major Burnaby projects have their own threads too, but to be fair the Burnaby thread was stared by the booster to end all boosters. It doesn't actually matter, I just genuinely find Richmond's low visibility on here interesting. Not making any judgments on it.
I think the reason is that all of Richmond's developments are carbon copy mid-rise developments, whereas Burnaby is building dozens of 30+ story towers with many of them being 40+ stories.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Bickering aside, I personally would love to see more defined subcategories of all encompassing threads stickied at the top.

There's a LOT going on in the suburbs right now and it can be tough to keep track of it all.
  • North Shore
  • Richmond
  • Burnaby
  • Surrey & SoF
  • Tri Cities

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me. Makes sense to split them by city/region.

Will you mods move posts over to to the new threads or just let this one die (get locked) and those start up?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:01 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I think the reason is that all of Richmond's developments are carbon copy mid-rise developments, whereas Burnaby is building dozens of 30+ story towers with many of them being 40+ stories.
Yeah that's fair, the architecture itself isn't particularly interesting.

Quote:

• North Shore
  • Richmond
  • Burnaby
  • Surrey & SoF
  • Tri Cities

Thoughts?
I like the idea. Should there be a section for Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows too? I know there isn't a whole lot going on there right now, but might as well have all areas represented from the get-go. And maybe one for the Fraser Valley too. I think Abbotsford and Chilliwack are separate enough from the South of Fraser to have their own thread.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:

I like the idea. Should there be a section for Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows too? I know there isn't a whole lot going on there right now, but might as well have all areas represented from the get-go. And maybe one for the Fraser Valley too. I think Abbotsford and Chilliwack are separate enough from the South of Fraser to have their own thread.
I hope people aren't too insulted by this, but I just don't think there is enough going on in those areas to warrant a stickied thread, it would be pretty dead. There's that one big proposal in Maple Ridge and the one tower in Abby and honestly not a ton else that makes this forum.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:17 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
I hope people aren't too insulted by this, but I just don't think there is enough going on in those areas to warrant a stickied thread, it would be pretty dead. There's that one big proposal in Maple Ridge and the one tower in Abby and honestly not a ton else that makes this forum.
Yeah no worries, I was just thinking out loud if it might not be easier to just make them all. But you're right, we might be waiting a while for them to become needed.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:27 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
I think that's reasonable. However i'm very curious to see what the fallout of the foreign buyers tax will be if the Liberals don't expand it for the rest of the province. It's possible we can see a plethora of new developments in Mission and Abbotsford as they are not included in the tax area, Mission is still directly connected by semi rapid transit with the West Coast Express, it could easily see a ton of new development in the coming years.

On that note i'm tempted to create a thread for New Westminster, however it doesn't need to be sticky. New West actually has many big and small developments ongoing and coming in the near future with the Larco/Bosa site, Sapperton Green, Brewery District, Riversky, Urban Academy tower, The Beverley and several other rental towers going up, CRAFT and 4th tower at Plaza 88, plus another tower planned for the current Brick and Mortar property. Those are just the ones i can name off the top of my head. For it's small size, it actually has alot going on and posts about New West projects are often lost in the suburban updates section.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:38 PM
Rational urbanist

New Westminster could probably share a thread with Burnaby?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:

• North Shore
  • Richmond
  • Burnaby
  • Surrey & SoF
  • Tri Cities

Thoughts?
I'd add New West to the Burnaby section.

Also presumably N Delta, Tsawwassen, White Rock and Langley would be the 'SOF' alongside Surrey - at the rate Surrey is building it might be worth that being it's own thread and the rest of the SOF (with maybe Abby and Chilliwack included) be another.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:50 PM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Speaking of Richmond:

That Landa Properties project on Elmbridge:

http://arnomatisarchitecture.com/ric...architect.html
Oh gosh is Richmond foggy all the time?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 12:05 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Oh gosh is Richmond foggy all the time?
Haha! I gotta say, there have been some beautiful buildings built in Richmond but the problem is you can't see most of them once they are built as they are all the same height, you have to be standing right in front of it. Why can't they build the first 4 to 10 storeys as concrete and another half dozen or so wooden floors above? It would make the buildings lighter and more varied in height, i dunno how well it would perform in an earthquake though.

Another big thing, an empty investment condo building can't boast about itself on online forums (yet anyway)

Last edited by retro_orange; Sep 13, 2016 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
10 story buildings is usually nothing to be excited about, oh and the general drek of Richmond and its signage issues.
Then again, I prefer the low/mid rises because I'm afraid of heights.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:17 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Richmond definitely deserves its own thread. I, for one, am a big fan of what's going on over there. Some great mid-rise density happening.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Once again Richmond gets left out What is it about the 4th biggest municipality in the region that it consistently gets overlooked in favour of Coquitlam and Langley?
Its because this forum is dedicated for skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilmoreStation View Post
Its because this forum is dedicated for skyscrapers
I'm assuming your joking

Half this forum has nothing to do with skyscrapers such as the numerous transportation threads

Yeah there is a ton going up in Richmond

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 5:12 AM
Rational urbanist

Those Richmond proposals look spectacular, but as always everything will depend on execution. Great to see some office space in that second proposal too, it's much needed in Richmond's city centre. Hoping these get approved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Richmond definitely deserves its own thread. I, for one, am a big fan of what's going on over there. Some great mid-rise density happening.
Absolutely. Buildings don't need to be tall to be interesting, or be part of good urban form. Richmond's city centre development is textbook smart growth, and the resulting landscaping and street interaction results are superb. Its downtown won't be nearly as tall as others' for obvious reasons, but its services will easily match anybody in its weight class.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley