HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:20 PM
Honored Member

Was there a motion to re-vote on the phase 2 study today at HRM Council? Or any further talk about the stadium.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:18 AM
Honored Member

According to allnovascotia.com, HRM Council voted today to send a letter to the Canadian Soccer Association committing to operational funding ($2 million for operations plus $250,000 in-kind contribution). However, it will be contingent on HRM building a stadium. Only Councillor McCluskey voted against.

I assume that most of the operational funding can be recovered through ticket sales(?)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:26 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
According to allnovascotia.com, HRM Council voted today to send a letter to the Canadian Soccer Association committing to operational funding ($2 million for operations plus $250,000 in-kind contribution). However, it will be contingent on HRM building a stadium. Only Councillor McCluskey voted against.

I assume that most of the operational funding can be recovered through ticket sales(?)
Since councillor McCluskey was the only one who voted against, Im guessing this means that the other councillors who voted against phase II are coming on board with it now. This is really encouraging to see .

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 4:28 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Stadium View Post
I like how MacKay placed the blame on the Stadium on Dexter...lol

What i really hate is someone (in this case Dexter) saying something like he did...."as long as they have a business case" So he leaves the judgement ability door open...."we did not like the business case" or "it not making enough money" or "its not a good enough one".....
Why not just say "YES if HRM votes to move froward the Provincial Govt will be there to support as well! " He always leaves an element of doubt about whether or not he has made up his mind...like it is his decision to make.....ARRRGGGGH!

Come on Dexter....come out from under your rock and smell the fresh clean air!

ATLANTIC STADIUM ~ Atlantic Storm ~ Ride the Wave!
I don't really agree with you on that. What Dexter said (this time) about needing to see the business case is just standard procedure. It is the exact same thing that the federal government said with respect to the convention centre. Just look at Mackay's comments of recent about the convention centre where we says that they made the decision after carefully analyzing the business case etc etc.

Having said that, I am not excusing Dexter, because where I think he was wrong was in the initial comment a week or so ago and in particular the timing of that comment. He should have kept his mouth shut and said something simply along the lines of "I have no comment as there is no official request for funding being made to the NS government at this time. Once such a request has been made and analyzed I will have a comment at that time." Instead his off the cuff comment was taken as a 100% shoot-down of the idea, and at a time that he didn't even need to comment.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 4:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
He should have kept his mouth shut and said something simply along the lines of "I have no comment as there is no official request for funding being made to the NS government at this time. Once such a request has been made and analyzed I will have a comment at that time." Instead his off the cuff comment was taken as a 100% shoot-down of the idea, and at a time that he didn't even need to comment.
I agree, although it was pretty obvious then that there wasn't any particular stadium plan and that all of this was therefore premature.

Part of the issue here is the extremely low signal to noise ratio for all of this stuff. If Dexter says one thing we get dozens of articles (e.g. Tim Bousquet, who just makes things up, and the CH, which paints everything as "controversial") and forum posts with theories based on almost zero evidence that often obviously make no sense. The Nova Centre suffered from this despite the fact that the whole process played out in a very slow, straightforward, predictable way.

Anybody remember the speculation about how Dexter was going to kill the whole thing because he's NDP?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 10:28 PM

Does anyone know what happened to the Atlantic Schooners website? It seems to have disappeared.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 11:43 PM
Honored Member

I did a very quick search and although I couldn't find the Atlantic Schooners website I found something very interesting through the Wikipedia references - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Schooners . The Wikipedia article on the Atlantic Schooners gives a reference to a Regina newspaper story about the 1983 proposed Dartmouth stadium which would have cost $6 million and would have seated 30,000 - http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...2580%2C1109803.

The proposal from 1983 looks somewhat similar to McMahon Stadium but with a track (this is a bit of a stretch of the imagination since the drawing in the newspaper isn't very clear).

(source: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...2580%2C1109803 )

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-way-dude View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the Atlantic Schooners website? It seems to have disappeared.
Doesn't matter because it's gonna be the.....

H A L I F A X

http://www.rugby15.co.za/2010/02/hur...s-in-super-14/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 1:24 AM
Promoting Nova Scotia

Names

ATLANTIC STADIUM

Home of the "Atlantic Storm"

~Ride the Wave~

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Doesn't matter because it's gonna be the.....

H A L I F A X

http://www.rugby15.co.za/2010/02/hur...s-in-super-14/

I like it!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 7:17 AM
Honored Member

There was an indirect reference to a major outdoor stadium in the allnovascotia.com. In a story about WHW Architects, it states that WHW Architects is keeping an eye on major local projects such as a proposed outdoor stadium and Rank Inc.'s Nova Centre. (source: allnovascotia.com, "Architectural Firm Sold for around $7 million" by Paul McLeod).

WHW Architects did the initial design study on the new convention centre in May 2007 and also the Events Nova Scotia stadium preliminary stadium design renderings in December 2010. It would certainly be a reputable architectural firm if they are selected for the phase 2 study (except I hope that the design will be larger, with more room for expansion).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 11:17 AM
BANNED

Mayor Kelly on 95.7 talk radio yesterday!

Mayor Kelly was on talk radio and was asked a question regarding size of stadium. I listener emailed Rick Howe, 95.7 talk show host and asked why is Halifax only building a 10 thousand permanent seat stadium.

Mayor Kelly replied even though he stated recently that Halifax needs a 25 thousand permanent seat stadium, that the steering committee recommended that Halifax only builds a 10 thousand permanent seat stadium for FIFA and to expand the facility in stages in time. Mayor Kelly also said that a this time they are deciding whether or not they should do it in stages or all at once.

I believe FIFA requirements are too low and that is mainly why Halifax only wants to build a 10 thousand permanent seat stadium and as well it`s a perfect fit for Saint Marys. FIFA will allow a 10 thousand permanent stadium with temporary seats, required to seat a total of 20 thousand.

It all lies in Premier Dexter`s hands if his govt. supports the project which could influence the outcome in relation to design and size.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 12:09 PM
Promoting Nova Scotia

Steering committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
Mayor Kelly was on talk radio and was asked a question regarding size of stadium. I listener emailed Rick Howe, 95.7 talk show host and asked why is Halifax only building a 10 thousand permanent seat stadium.

Mayor Kelly replied even though he stated recently that Halifax needs a 25 thousand permanent seat stadium, that the steering committee recommended that Halifax only builds a 10 thousand permanent seat stadium for FIFA and to expand the facility in stages in time. Mayor Kelly also said that a this time they are deciding whether or not they should do it in stages or all at once.

I believe FIFA requirements are too low and that is mainly why Halifax only wants to build a 10 thousand permanent seat stadium and as well it`s a perfect fit for Saint Marys. FIFA will allow a 10 thousand permanent stadium with temporary seats, required to seat a total of 20 thousand.

It all lies in Premier Dexter`s hands if his govt. supports the project which could influence the outcome in relation to design and size.

You have to consider what the Steering Committee's mandate is.....they must study and recommend the feasibility and costs related to meeting the FIFA bids requirements for a stadium.....so they are sort of pigeon holed into a certain blinded mindset. Which is basically to present and recommend the bare bones minimum. There is a lets not build a "white elephant" mentally here.
I understand that the current situation is not our future needs....so lets plan for the FIFA deal and get it! Then we can look at planning it right to accommodate what we will need to build for the future needs.
If it gets projected like a huge wish list then the Feds will view it as a "PRO" stadium and will leave them out of the funding picture.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Mayor Kelly is on NEWS 95.7 right now with Jordi Morgon. He is adamant that it must 25,000. He also said the private investors that he has been talking to are interested in a "professional sports franchise".

This is what I thought, someone with money is pushing for Halifax to build a CFL capable stadium so they can bring in a CFL franchise.

He also said the province is on board now with the stadium.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
Promoting Nova Scotia

Naming....

Don't really want to get into spending loads of time with naming stuff but.....

I do like "Atlantic Storm"
Picturing a lightening bolt sort of logo
Think regionally...not Halifax only

Also....its very possible that an ownership may wish to move a team. One very interesting one is the Argos. In the not so distant future they may be faced with leaving Toronto or competing with the Bills as the home team. I think this is the third year of the 5 year "Bills in Toronto" agreement.

The whole Moncton thing has been an interesting market test for the Argos and the CFL.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Promoting Nova Scotia

SMU Stadium

I do not think the SMU situation is totally removed but I don't it is totally connected either.

1) SMU needs repairs and updating to its Stadium. SMU offers large crowds and is mostly full for all home games (weather permitting) So having said that would they be full if they were a 10,000 seat stadium???? Hard to say. My personal guestimate would be around 80% full.....if it was on campus! (or close).
For the Uteck Bowl and playoffs or even for a visiting game (ie:Laval) of importance....yes 10,000 would be there.
The university crowd is very static....and remember Husky Stadium has (although in disrepair) a roof! One can watch the game in a rain filled day and stay comfy.

2) For a larger stadium "off campus" SMU would be considered a potential tenant.....but I would suggest only for those games where a larger draw would be serviced. Not so many of the student body will travel off campus for a game in say Dartmouth Crossing. There is a large untapped capacity of SMU fans in HRM that are the fair weather types...so Stadium design and considerations for washrooms and concessions are extremely important. would you buy a car without cup holders??? I know this is extremely sexist but.....whats the first thing a lady does when she jumps into a car for a test drive??? She flips down the visor...checking to make sure there is a lighted vanity mirror! An inexpensive feature but its gotta be there....!!!!

Sorry got side tracked there....

Anyways ....SMU/CIS is going to be in the picture as a tenant one way or another ....its in everyone's best interest...but SMU should reno their campus Stadium regardless....make it nice and and safe for around 8000 seating. IMO

So I would love to see SMU and the New 25,000 seat Shannon "library" get going...!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 4:23 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg building a real stadium!

Check- out the latest photos dated August 15th on the Bomber CFL web site.
Their pretty impressive and the Bombers has sold out again their next to games and adding seats.

Winnipeg with a population over 600 thousand are building a 33 thousand permanent seat, state of the art, 200 million dollar stadium with a GMP, so there are no over off runs and that also includes Bomber offices and a training facility. So why can`t Hallifax with a base population of 405 thousand built at least a 90 to 100 million dollar 25 thousand permanent stadium? It`s not a unreasonable ask! Seriuosly to think the city of Halifax, after spending 375 thousand dollars just to build a 10 thousand permanent seat stadium is totally embarrassing and a waste of time but Saint Marys surely likes it!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Check- out the latest photos dated August 15th on the Bomber CFL web site.
Their pretty impressive and the Bombers has sold out again their next to games and adding seats.

Winnipeg with a population over 600 thousand are building a 33 thousand permanent seat, state of the art, 200 million dollar stadium with a GMP, so there are no over off runs and that also includes Bomber offices and a training facility. So why can`t Hallifax with a base population of 405 thousand built at least a 90 to 100 million dollar 25 thousand permanent stadium? It`s not a unreasonable ask! Seriuosly to think the city of Halifax, after spending 375 thousand dollars just to build a 10 thousand permanent seat stadium is totally embarrassing and a waste of time but Saint Marys surely likes it!
Well the first problem with this is that they've had an NFL team for many years, so they've been able to build a quantifiable support base for it. HRM, let alone the maritimes, doesn't have a team...yet. I'm sure the support is there, but what if it isn't? What if it isn't as strong?

While I agree that the current idea of about 10,000 seats is too small, 25,000 permanent seats with expansion from temporary seating seems fine to me to start out with...then if we do have a really strong team support, we can expand it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 5:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

My impression is that the 25,000 or so seat basic stadium could be useful for lots of things, like the concerts that seem to attract around 20,000-50,000 people and do not fit into the Metro Centre. Even if Halifax never gets a CFL team (highly unlikely if a suitable stadium is built) a 25,000 seat stadium would probably be worth the moderate cost, and in the future it could be expanded if necessary.

It's very important to stress that this project is NOT like the gold-plated stadiums costing hundreds of millions and could be a great piece of public infrastructure for the city right now, regardless of what happens with the CFL and other pro sports.

The anti-stadium crowd will try to define this as an elaborate and far-fetched project in an attempt to cause it to die on the table. That's how these things work.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:19 PM
Dont let the name fool u

Guys this is a pretty interesting discussion with Mark Cohon (Commish of the CFL) on Prime Time Sports late last week. Discussing about potential league expansion. Many cities are brought up including Halifax.

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/P...08-18-4-pm.mp3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment