HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 9:15 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Well, it seems that ground structure we were all wondering about is actually a walkway. But that doesn't solve the mystery of how they will fit a hotel there. It would seem a waste of money to put in something so permanent-looking if the hotel was imminent. And, I will never trust the Ilitches as it relates to "future plans."

So, do we think they might just tear it up, orient the hotel further west in the rest of the site, or simply not building anything there? Even as the latest map released last week shows "future hotel" at that site, I'm skeptical.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 3:06 PM

The hotel is supposed to be meant mostly for visiting teams so I'd assume they'd want it built sooner rather than later. There might be some behind the scenes stuff yet to be finalized but it's also confusing if they start building it without at least showing what it will look like beforehand.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Well, it seems that ground structure we were all wondering about is actually a walkway. But that doesn't solve the mystery of how they will fit a hotel there. It would seem a waste of money to put in something so permanent-looking if the hotel was imminent. And, I will never trust the Ilitches as it relates to "future plans."

So, do we think they might just tear it up, orient the hotel further west in the rest of the site, or simply not building anything there? Even as the latest map released last week shows "future hotel" at that site, I'm skeptical.
From the pictures I have seen show the angled walkway staying with the hotel being built up to it not the street wall. Probably to maintain the view of Downtown from the windows.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:21 PM

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjgumby View Post
From the pictures I have seen show the angled walkway staying with the hotel being built up to it not the street wall. Probably to maintain the view of Downtown from the windows.
The walkway is actually extends farther away from Woodward than what's shown in that rendering which is the confusing part.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:05 AM

I don't know. The angle looks the same as that rendering to me; it angles right out from in front of the entrance. The only difference being in that maybe they haven't yet filled in the part between Woodward and the walkway yet? Either way, I'd forgotten about that rendering and it shows they could easily fit the hotel in on the rest of the block.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:02 AM
somewhere in-between

Excessive corporate branding / signage aside... ("Hey honey! Did you say we should meet at the Huntington Entry of Little Caesar's Arena, near the Chevrolet Plaza, or was it the Comerica entry?")... this arena has turned out beautifully.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I don't know. The angle looks the same as that rendering to me; it angles right out from in front of the entrance. The only difference being in that maybe they haven't yet filled in the part between Woodward and the walkway yet? Either way, I'd forgotten about that rendering and it shows they could easily fit the hotel in on the rest of the block.
The angles are the same, but there's like an extra 50 feet along Henry that parallels the main walkway and stops midway towards the service drive.

Like you can see where the walkway is flush with the front (sorry, Comerica) entryway, but then you have that extra part where the cement truck is that isn't really pictured in the renderings. In the renders, the hotel, or whatever building would eventually be there was flush with the front entrance.

So now I'm wondering if they're possibly going to extend that half of the walkway all the way to the service drive.

And actually, the other end of the block is separated from the mobile office so the lot is actually a lot smaller than you'd think.

If the hotel is still going to be 350+ rooms, it'd have to be taller than 5 floors to fit that space, right? I'm just speculating, but this might end up as a significant looking building if things add up.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 10:31 AM

The other end of the lot is seperated from the main site for now. I wouldn't assume that that is not also part of the hotel site.

But, I do see now what you're talking about that there seems to be some additional width attached to the walkway on its western side. It may end up stretching to the service drive; who knows.

I guess as far as I can see, there doesn't appear to have been any major changes. Perhaps we get a bigger plaza along Woodward between Henry and the service drive, but most everything else appears to have been built/is being built to plan

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:03 AM

Anyway, we've been so focused on the exterior and even the Via, that'd I'd totally forgotten about what was going on 40 feet below grade off the playing surface. The Freep had a whole piece on the "underground world" below the surface of the arena. I'd completely forgotten about the practice rink.

You've got the Artists Compound, a group of five rooms for musical acts and entertainers which can be combined. You've got the Players Club, a dining area near the locked rooms divided by a hall where diners can watch the athletes walk by. I imagine those spots are goings to be hella pricey. Then you have the new locker rooms, of which the home teams will be at least three times the size of the ones in the Joe. Then you have the practice rink with seating for 300, and study halls and classrooms for children.

Romain Blanquart, Detroit Free Press

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:46 PM

LC arena development is far superior to any similar venue in the NYC area. Barclay's arena can't even make proper ice for the NHL hockey games and the players aren't keen on playing there at all. In addition to the main arena, LC Arena has an underground practice rink that the community can use in the off season. LC arena attributes are too numerous to mention.

Last edited by BoM Trespasser; Sep 7, 2017 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
EDIT
with all due respect, I don't think you've been looking at the same pictures everyone else has....

Last edited by LMich; Sep 8, 2017 at 4:37 AM. Reason: cleaning up

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 1:19 AM

Wrap around screen in action.

Video Link

Inside shots from the youtuber that's been taking drone shots of the construction.

http://wingsarena.tumblr.com/

Other pics.

https://www.facebook.com/hamiltonand...75422392539591

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 1:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 10:39 PM

Looks like they've yet to continue working on the other projects surrounding the arena.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 2:07 PM

^The Illitch School of Business is still progressing.

https://twitter.com/DistrictDetroit

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 12:49 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Damn, that is a good-looking stretch of Woodward there.

BTW, how tall is that biz school? I feel like it would make a good height minimum for new projects facing Woodward.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 4:24 AM

Basically every new thing being built on or right off of Woodward is a minimum of four stories. I'd have to look up what most of Woodward is zoned through Midtown to see if that's required.

Animatedmartian, can you find any construction photos of the residential buildings in District Detroit? We get a shot of them every once in awhile, but nothing on a regular basis.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Basically every new thing being built on or right off of Woodward is a minimum of four stories. I'd have to look up what most of Woodward is zoned through Midtown to see if that's required.

Animatedmartian, can you find any construction photos of the residential buildings in District Detroit? We get a shot of them every once in awhile, but nothing on a regular basis.
Construction and renovations are expected to start sometime during the winter so most of the residential projects don't look much different than from a few months ago. The two new construction residential projects (One 11 West and The Arena Lofts) are visible in the north facing webcam. Construction is supposed to start (or resume) later in 2017.

One 11 is more easily visible from the north on the right of this aerial shot. This shot was posted September 15th.

Eddystone is clean, but nothing yet on the American (Old American Hotel). Renovations are supposed to start in 2018.

I've driven past the United Artists Building and didn't notice anything different other than the typical fencing around the base of the building. Renovation is expected to start later this year.

My next day off I'll try to get down there and get some close up shots of the buildings. Until they actually start work on them, don't expect too much change yet though.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 6:47 PM

The LCHQ is moving along though. However, they've been pretty slow on the Woodward facing facade. It seems like they've been focused on the interior of the building and the north and south facing facades.

https://twitter.com/DistrictDetroit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development