HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 3:13 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I do really like the podium, but then it turns into a spandrel mess above.

Would be nice if developers used materials that weren't glass to cover the concrete structure...
I honestly would have expected more stone on the podium to tie in with their existing building aesthetic.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 9:01 PM
Burger Connoisseur

I like the podium, connects to street really well. The more renders I see of the fake park across the street I actually wish one would go there and move the Y to a new bigger better location.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 7:10 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

Victoria Mancinelli
https://twitter.com/vcmancinelli

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:45 PM
Hamilton Historian

I really like their use of reclaiming their footprint by making the roofs tiered so each one can be utilized, including the roof for the existing Liuna building.

Also that is a deep-ass hole.

I've always been curious as to what originally was to the RIGHT of the liuna building - because of the way that side curves around - was there another building where the parking lot currently is? And how did it look beside the liuna building? None of the pictures I have specifically show that area..

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I really like their use of reclaiming their footprint by making the roofs tiered so each one can be utilized, including the roof for the existing Liuna building.

Also that is a deep-ass hole.

I've always been curious as to what originally was to the RIGHT of the liuna building - because of the way that side curves around - was there another building where the parking lot currently is? And how did it look beside the liuna building? None of the pictures I have specifically show that area..
According to the Fire Insurance maps it was Wentworth Arms Hotel, right up against the laneway, which was called "Chancery Lane". One thing that is unfortunate that Hamilton doesn't do, is name it's laneways. Toronto has many named, as do other places.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 10:22 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
According to the Fire Insurance maps it was Wentworth Arms Hotel, right up against the laneway, which was called "Chancery Lane". One thing that is unfortunate that Hamilton doesn't do, is name it's laneways. Toronto has many named, as do other places.
Thaaaank you! Another missing piece in the city in my mind filled

later remodeled and then burned down.. apparently the guy who burned it down was caught and charged with 6 counts of murder..

It was no longer a pretty building by the time it was burned down.. once again our city was obsessed with destroying the beautiful craftsmanship of the building - all the nice detail on it was covered up or stripped off - god the 70s and 80s were a horrible time for architecture.. thank god hamilton rotted and was thus spared of TOO much of it..

vs now:

Last edited by Chronamut; Nov 1, 2022 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Such a beautiful, beautiful cathedral. We're nearing the end of a year-ish window when it can be photographed straight on from a distance before a few months from now when across-the-street will be the best you can get for an angle of the building (not that good an angle, I've tried!).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 3:10 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Such a beautiful, beautiful cathedral. We're nearing the end of a year-ish window when it can be photographed straight on from a distance before a few months from now when across-the-street will be the best you can get for an angle of the building (not that good an angle, I've tried!).
Did you know the church farther down on james st was supposed to be similar looking to this in that it was designed with a giant spire - christ's church cathedral - you can see it here

Was originally meant to look more like this:

vs this:

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 1:49 PM

Wentworth Arms looked rad (the original), and nothing overtly majestic, but just nice integration of certain features and really nice curb appeal. Ah well. Great find.

The Princes Room, sounds like a Fairmont tea room, but probably not haha.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:44 PM

looks like the building is still going to have those vertical fins, they have just been scaled down to be almost invisible. I'm interested to see how they look in actual implementation.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Am I interpreting the three partners roles right? Liuna hired Fengate to manage the planning and design work and Hi-Rise to manage the construction?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 8:53 PM
I am the law!

Liuna invested in Fengate so that they don't have to worry about budgets or leasing . They just collect the dividends.

Hi-Rise is the general contractor
Fengate is the developer
Liuna is the bank

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 7:51 PM

Just driving by and the construction gate was open ... looks like the second crane might be getting assembled!!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 8:55 PM
Ham-burgher

I was at the courthouse last week -- Sopinka, the former post office -- and looked across toward the pit for this, imagining how the view will change once it is up. And the Connelly too, or whatever that site hopefully becomes.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 11:02 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I was at the courthouse last week -- Sopinka, the former post office -- and looked across toward the pit for this, imagining how the view will change once it is up. And the Connelly too, or whatever that site hopefully becomes.
Hopefully something keeping in line more with the heritage of the front and less blasphemously modern hahaha..

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:35 PM

new crane

2nd crane going up today

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 6:38 PM

Im no spring chicken and by my count 12 cranes are up in what we can generally consider downtown. Certainly most in my lifetime, maybe ever.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 10:39 PM

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 11:34 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Copious amounts of concrete being pumped from two sides of this site. The first shot was taken Dec 19 shortly after 9pm the rest of the shots were taken this morning (Dec 20) shortly after 6am. I wonder if they were pumping all night?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton