HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 11:10 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I have been looking through the HRM online archives and have found many interesting photos, here are a few:

Nice find. I remember seeing it like it is in the photo - partially demolished. It is amazing that it went from being essentially run-down buildings to the Delta Hotel. Here is a Bing Maps Bird's Eye View from a similar perspective - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf7...NS&form=LMLTCC

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Nice find. I remember seeing it like it is in the photo - partially demolished. It is amazing that it went from being essentially run-down buildings to the Delta Hotel. Here is a Bing Maps Bird's Eye View from a similar perspective - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf7...NS&form=LMLTCC
There's an inner courtyard in the Delta Barrington?! I've walked by it for years and I never knew that?!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 9:55 PM

Has the Emera sign been removed from Barrington Tower yet?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 10:19 PM

Does anyone notice the office tower to the left of Duke tower and just above City Hall in the 'completed' shot of Scotia Square? What is that?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Does anyone notice the office tower to the left of Duke tower and just above City Hall in the 'completed' shot of Scotia Square? What is that?
That's not an office tower, it's the old Moir's chocolate factory and bakery.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 1:53 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Do you mean the building pictured below on Argyle Street? If that is the building that you are referring to, it is the Moirs Chocolate building, which I think was torn down in order to build the Metro Centre. Here is some additional information - http://www.lib.uwo.ca/programs/compa...ccc-moirs.html .

(source: http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/b...ves.asp?ID=247 - it you zoom in on this link, you can see the area of Argyle Street that is now occupied by Scotia Square)

PS: I see that Keith P. already gave an answer.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 1:52 PM

I remember when that factory was still in operation on Argyle. The smell of chocolate in the air was wonderful.

Since it is Christmas I lament the loss of the original Moirs Pot of Gold boxed chocolates, which were very good, unlike today's pale imitation, and the other things they made which, as a kid, I only got at Christmas. They used to make double-dipped chocolate-covered cherries, grapes, and pineapple cordials which were a holiday tradition on our house, and a chocolate bar called a "Graham Sandwich" which also came in double-dipped form at Christmas. Those were great - two graham wafers sandwiching a layer of filling, all covered in chocolate.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 7:57 PM

Merry Christmas Folks

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 7:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's an interesting shot that I guess was taken somewhere around the 102: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ggpics/...n/photostream/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:56 PM

^^^ Nice find

Ive seen that view from the 102 but that picture makes it look nice and big city-ish .

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 7:23 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

When I see it I think of London Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 7:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
When I see it I think of London Ontario.
Uh oh! There is a sort of London vs. Halifax debate happening in the Canada section. Such debates rarely amount to anything because there's a large element of personal taste combined with very dry discussion of how city A has 12 buildings over 80 m but city B has 5 buildings over 100 m (and how can you argue with the HARD FACT that having a 94.7 m building is better than having a 92.3 m building?!), etc. etc.

I'm not a big fan of the boxy concrete buildings, but Fenwick will hopefully soon look a lot nicer. It is a major building and will have a big impact on the appearance of the city. The main King's Wharf tower might also pop up above the tree line in some interesting locations.

If something akin to the United Gulf 48 storey proposal were built it would be highly visible in shots like these.

The street level experience in the city centre is more important but these shots are fun to look at. I like how new buildings often show up from vantage points I don't really think about. Because of Halifax's hilliness something can be completely hidden one minute and very prominent the next.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I remember when that factory was still in operation on Argyle. The smell of chocolate in the air was wonderful.

Since it is Christmas I lament the loss of the original Moirs Pot of Gold boxed chocolates, which were very good, unlike today's pale imitation, and the other things they made which, as a kid, I only got at Christmas. They used to make double-dipped chocolate-covered cherries, grapes, and pineapple cordials which were a holiday tradition on our house, and a chocolate bar called a "Graham Sandwich" which also came in double-dipped form at Christmas. Those were great - two graham wafers sandwiching a layer of filling, all covered in chocolate.
I remember the "Graham Sandwich" very well, and have been disappointed by not seeing one for years. Interesting that it was a Moirs product. Keith, have you tried Timtams from Australia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tam
A reasonable facsimile, Superstore has them, and probably Pete's; if only they would put them in a gold and brown package.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 6:59 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Taken by me on 8 December 2011.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:14 PM

From around Dartmouth Crossing/Burnside :

I wish I had a camera with better zoom for pictures like this but its still pretty cool if you can make out certain buildings, especialy Fairview/Mount Royale, thats some far .

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 3:12 AM

Interesting pictures showing one of the Purdy's wharf towers under construction.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:21 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Nice find. The roof of the former Sheraton hadn't aged yet at the time. This looks like it would be from around '89?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 9:14 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:03 AM

Cool picture of the Park Victoria going up:

Source:http://www.halifaxhistory.ca/DresdenArmsHotel02.jpg

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:59 PM

This is a fascinating photo, also from the excellent halifaxhistory.ca site:

This shows not only the Halifax shopping Center in its early days but also note the bizarre pattern of streets nearby. There were still houses under construction in the adjacent areas and yet it is a network of disconnected and dead-end roadways. Also note the area at the top of the photo showing Bayers Road in the pre-Bicentennial Drive era (it appears to be under construction in this photo). Nothing much has changed in terms of the street/road network since this time, confirming my oft-stated point about how ridiculous it is for a city of this size that has experienced so much growth over the years since then, to be locked into a "no road improvement" mindset.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos