HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 12:33 PM
BANNED

I like how its outward cantilevers contrast with 3 Hudson's inward setbacks. They almost seem to even parallel each other for Affirmation's first 1,000'.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Dec 8, 2021 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 1:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
Are there renderings of the other designs?
Renderings were a required part of the bid. We may or may never see them. This particular proposal was revealed by the development team.

Some Q@A on the design…

https://www.cityandstateny.com/perso...-tower/187364/

By RALPH ORTEGA AND PATRICIA BATTLE
DECEMBER 8, 2021

Quote:
The design of the building is clearly unique, and we were reading the specs on it. Would you mind just walking us through why it looks the way it does, and how you decided on that?

Craig Livingston: The building, of course designed by David Adjaye, who is a world renowned architect, he designed the African American Museum in Washington, D.C., he’s been knighted by the Queen, and his work is in demand all over the globe. This building, Affirmation Tower, looks like an inverted skyscraper. It’s smaller at the bottom, larger and expands at the top, which is the opposite of what most skyscrapers do as they get taller. And it was done that way to just suggest almost the impossibility being made into reality. It looks like it defies gravity. And at first glance, it would be impossible to have a building that’s shaped and built that way that gets larger at the top, but in fact, through engineering, we can build this building. And when the eye meets it at first, it does cause a reaction, because it does look impossible, but this development team is adamant on building it and making it into reality.
Quote:
How do you approach this very challenging task of securing a piece of land for development in New York City when you have a cause like your own?

McKissack: You provide a quality proposal with a quality plan, which we have. We feel we have the absolute best design, the best solution that will work and produce profits in the city of New York. You make sure it’s unique, it’s never been done before. We’re expecting high numbers for MWBE participation on the project. That’s never been done before on a private development or high-rise. You bring the NAACP, national and local headquarters to the location, and it becomes a center of tourism for the city of New York. So, we’re not asking for subsidies or things of that nature. We’re talking about doing a straightforward development that’s going to bring a lot of tax revenue to the city and state of New York.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 7:46 PM

I find this tower very interesting. I like this project and hope the tower can be built eventually.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 4:20 AM
BANNED

This ODA project in Toronto is like a much smaller version of the Affirmation.

http://www.oda-architecture.com/proj...nto-distillery

P.S.: When I think of the "Affirmation" Tower, I think of this guy and his daily affirmations.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:40 AM
BANNED

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ment-zf56j93h5

Affirmation Tower will feature a stepped design made up of cantilevered sections which increase in size from the bottom up, making the building look upside-down
ADJAYE ASSOCIATES

Keiran Southern, Los Angeles
Thursday December 09 2021, 9.00am GMT, The Times

A British-Ghanaian architect has designed what would be the among the tallest buildings in the western hemisphere to be a statement of black achievement in New York City.

Sir David Adjaye’s 1,663ft Affirmation Tower is one of the proposals for a prime real-estate site in Manhattan, and its $3.5 billion cost would be funded largely by African-American companies, its developer said.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 10:15 PM
AFKA Prezrezc

For me, whether or not this quite impressive mammoth purports to demonstrate “progressivism” through architectural daring-do is not something that registering an opinion would dignify.

I certainly will say that this deserves to rise in its current unaltered state. And if they say that putting up a monolith consisting of inverted setbacks is completely safe to pull off, then go do……

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 12:32 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

^ Is that supposed to be set to some sort of poetic timing?

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 3:05 PM
BANNED

I'd like to see Affirmation and 3 Hudson rising simultaneously.

I'd also love to see a north-south rendering of 3 Hudson. Some have suggested that both sides have setbacks. That makes sense but the developers and architects never show that perspective.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 3:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Overall very positive feedback from folks reviewing it.

Engineering feat indeed. I do agree with the tax revenue and that's why developments like this are a positive for the city, tax revenue!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 3:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Overall very positive feedback from folks reviewing it.

Engineering feat indeed. I do agree with the tax revenue and that's why developments like this are a positive for the city, tax revenue!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 2:40 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 4:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Can't wait for HY Phase II. This area is going to be phenomenal once the West side if fully built out.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 4:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
“At 1,663 feet, the 90-story building would be taller by floor height than One World Trade Center, but shorter by spire height. Mr. Peebles said this was done out of respect. “Nearly 3,000 people lost their lives there, so we have to be mindful of that,” he said.”

Huh, so that’s why they kept the buildings shorter than 1 WTC. Kind of a shame.
I think this might be developer specific but I don't think it will be the case forever. Eventually something will rise eclipsing 1 WTC especially the way demand and also land constraints are going.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
This ODA project in Toronto is like a much smaller version of the Affirmation.

http://www.oda-architecture.com/proj...nto-distillery

For sure. It also reminds me a lot of the original design (left) for Jahn's 1000 S. Michigan tower in Chicago's South Loop:

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:41 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

not to mention odas's uws 'era' building -- among a bunch of other cantilevered nyc buildings.

https://erauws.com/?utm_medium=websi...=archdaily.com

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...uildings/50043

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:24 PM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:59 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Didn’t know Tower Fifth got an updated drawing. Nice.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 10:13 PM
DENNAB

There's something very original-WTC ish about the facade, I like it. I get the feeling this is not going to happen and is more or less visionary though.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 10:13 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

I know right? So much better. But still missing 343 Madison on the diagram. Anyways, hopefully we’ll get some updates from Tower Fifth, 175 Park, and 350 Park Avenue. What a shame that 175 Park got a height decrease.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals