HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
There is no such thing as Subway Canada per se. Each region in Canada has a Master Franchisee who answers to Subway offices in Milford, CT.
I'm not sure where you get your info, but you're partially right. The master franchisee is called a DA (for Atlantic Canada) but there IS a Canadian entity. Subway Franchise Systems of Canada Ltd.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbub View Post
I'm not sure where you get your info, but you're partially right. The master franchisee is called a DA (for Atlantic Canada) but there IS a Canadian entity. Subway Franchise Systems of Canada Ltd.
Master Franchisee is the same as Development Agent...
(yes, there's the Subway Franchise Systems Canada Franchise Ltd.), but Subway Canada doesn't exist, if you don't understand what I mean that's ok.
This is my last remark on this subject. Cheers!

Last edited by OUIR@random; Jul 19, 2012 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In the T&T yesterday, PetSmart confirmed a (tentative) opening date of early December. Since PetSmart will occupy a building jointly with Bed, Bath & Beyond and (hopefully) Best Buy, it would seem reasonable to hope that this would be when these stores would open too.

An early December opening makes sense at it includes a chance for the stores to get some benefit from the pre-Christmas shopping period.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 11:43 AM

No, it isn't 1990 all over again...

I wish I could find a link to the article online, but I can't... but there is an article on the front page of the T&T today about how Consumers Distributing is making a comeback and will be opening a new store (or 2?) in the Moncton area!

Instead of browsing catalogs, apparently they will have computer tablets setup to allow you to place your order, as well as another area/store that will be more like a traditional storefront.

Gotta say, I am intrigued by this.

This is the only good link I could find: https://consumersdistributing.ca/

Edit: Here's an article similar to the one in the T&T: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...-niagara-falls

Last edited by mctnguy; Jul 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added link to article.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctnguy View Post
I wish I could find a link to the article online, but I can't... but there is an article on the front page of the T&T today about how Consumers Distributing is making a comeback and will be opening a new store (or 2?) in the Moncton area!

Instead of browsing catalogs, apparently they will have computer tablets setup to allow you to place your order, as well as another area/store that will be more like a traditional storefront.

Gotta say, I am intrigued by this.

This is the only good link I could find: https://consumersdistributing.ca/

Edit: Here's an article similar to the one in the T&T: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...-niagara-falls
Can confirm article in ths AM's T & T......Spokesperson stated that Moncton to have at least and Express store and possibly a Superstore as well....

Last edited by Freddypop; Jul 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 1:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not sure about cutting and pasting entire articles from any of the Brunswick News papers. I had my fingers rapped by Brunswick News a few months back. They have become quite territorial since hiding behind their hard pay wall. I think this is counterproductive as it inhibits casual browsers from out of town from accessing the news sites to view content. NB has in essense become a "black hole" for news for casual surfers from elsewhere in the continent. It would have been far better for Brunswick News to have adopted the New York Times model where a limited number of "free" articles are available online for perusal each month.

What I do now is to display the first 2-3 paragraphs from the article of interest from the T&T and then provide a link to a site where the rest of the article is freely available to view. There are several, including NB public libraries and also on the City of Moncton website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Consumers Distributing, I'm not particularly excited by this news. I always thought this was a bizarre retailing concept. It's OK for small appliances and odds and ends around the house, but there is not much else I would purchase there. They will have it tough competing with WalMart and Target.

As for locations, they seem to be doing some work around the old Blockbuster location on Mountain Rd. Hmmmmmm............

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

As for for Consumers Distributing, I'm not particularly excited by this news. I always thought this was a bizarre retailing concept. It's OK for small appliances and odds and ends around the house, but there is not much else I would purchase there. They will have it tough competing with WalMart and Target.
I agree re the retailing concept...being bizarre. Can't see how they can make it in today's market. Time will tell. Also notice that they plan on opening 80 stores in Canada before the end of the year. Seems ambitious...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 6:53 PM

I always love consumers...be curious to see how they re-work it.

Be neat if they somehow managed to go into their old store (dollar store in front of Superstore on Main St.)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 8:49 PM

I remember all the little pencils being dull or broken. I wonder if these tablets will be any better?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 10:45 PM

Consumers Distributing
This is an strange brand and concept. I've checked this out and it looks scam-ish! Just my 2 cents... Go look at that awful website.
How is this company supposed to compete with the Amazon and eBay of this world? If it was April 1st, I would've though it was a fish!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 11:19 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
As for locations, they seem to be doing some work around the old Blockbuster location on Mountain Rd. Hmmmmmm............
It's Furniturama moving into the old Blockbusters location on Mountain Rd. This will certainly be a much more visible location than they had before....

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The foundation for the building housing BB&B, PetSmart and (hopefully) Best Buy has been ready for a couple of weeks. They must be going to start the superstructure sometime soon - especially if they plan on opening by early December!

Meanwhile, I noted today that there is a new foundation in the ground, corresponding to "Building C" on this site plan. This lies between the Cleve's building and the existing strip mall. I presume work will be starting here shortly as well.

Finally, they have completely levelled the land between Moxie's and Golf Town. There are faint impressions in the ground that appear to correspond to the buildings indicated on the site plan. This might indicate that these foundations might soon be built in the near term too. If so, then pretty much all of the buildings in the Mapleton Centre will shortly be under construction.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, I noted today that there is a new foundation in the ground, corresponding to "Building C" on this site plan. This lies between the Cleve's building and the existing strip mall. I presume work will be starting here shortly as well.

Finally, they have completely levelled the land between Moxie's and Golf Town. There are faint impressions in the ground that appear to correspond to the buildings indicated on the site plan. This might indicate that these foundations might soon be built in the near term too. If so, then pretty much all of the buildings in the Mapleton Centre will shortly be under construction.
So, if I've got this right, that means all buildings in the site plan except for building E are either completed, under construction or undergoing prep work.

Looks like things are progressing well at the Mapleton site

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 1:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
So, if I've got this right, that means all buildings in the site plan except for building E are either completed, under construction or undergoing prep work.
That is how I would read it too. For all I know, there might even be some work going on at Building E too, I haven't been down to that part of the development.

-------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, the T&T reported today that the Northwest Centre Zellers will close March 14th, 2013 for renovations and conversion to Target. The store will open under it's new banner in Winter 2013, which would tend to imply that they might be trying to open in time for Christmas after all.

Meanwhile, the Main St Zellers in the Superstore Mall will close forever on January 14, 2013. There are as of yet no plans (that anyone will talk about) for this location.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 1:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of pictures from the Mapleton Centre from this evening.

You can see the large footprint for the BB&B, PetSmart etc. building here. The foundation is ready. I expect some serious action very soon.

this is the prepared site for Building C. Again, the foundation is ready to be built on.

Finally, there are now stakes in the ground for at least two of the buildings between Golf Town and Moxie's.

ADDENDUM - I've looked carefully (while driving by). I don't think there is any site prep going on for Building E.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 11:08 PM

Is the Gap at the mall renovating?! They seemed to be putting up a wall around it this morning..?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 4:37 PM

Starbucks at Lounsburry Center on Mountain Rd = Well on-track for (rumored) mid-September opening date. When I passed by this morning, they were finishing up on interior drywall & other minor items. Most of the exterior is done (minus the signage) and they've got the drive-through paved along with landscaping done around the curbing.

As for Mapleton Power Center, they were just starting to pave in front of the Tag store when I passed by at lunch hour today. Signage is not up there either but majority of exterior work is done on that building.

Both projects moving along at quite a satisfactory pace. Still, annoyingly enough, no news on who the other tenants will be (looks like there's a new pad that was cleared next to Moxie's, no idea what's going there + BestBuy still refuse to confirm if they will/won't be a tenant). I'm pretty sure I speak for most people here when I say patience is wearing thin on the final tenant list announcement.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 9:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Heard a rumour today that there may be a bank (perhaps BMO), interested in building a branch on Mapleton, at the Lady Ada intersection across from the new 585 Mapleton medical/dental building.

This is unconfirmed.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:22 PM

I doubt it would be BMO, there is already a new branch at the Lounsbury plaza. Scotiabank is at Trinity, doubt it would be them. This leaves TD, RBC or CIBC. I think it might be CIBC, there is no branch nearby other than the one inside the Superstore. At Dartmouth Crossing, there is a new CIBC branch near Moxie's, there is no link between these two, just an observation.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I doubt it would be BMO, there is already a new branch at the Lounsbury plaza. Scotiabank is at Trinity, doubt it would be them. This leaves TD, RBC or CIBC. I think it might be CIBC, there is no branch nearby other than the one inside the Superstore. At Dartmouth Crossing, there is a new CIBC branch near Moxie's, there is no link between these two, just an observation.
I have heard from a TD employee that they have been looking at re-opening a branch in the Moncton North area. Not sure how much truth there is behind that. I can't see it being RBC as they have just opened a brand new one on mtn road by evergreen. So if there were to be one it would likely be TD or CIBC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces