HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:43 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
There are familiar 7-11 stripes on a cabinet inside the building.
7-Eleven? Well, nothing like a slurpee on a hot summer, Sunday evening watching the nice cars drive by.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:50 PM

Grapes failed because they (other than poorly at Main Street) didn't spend a dime on upkeep or renovations to their restaurants. I used to go to the Grant one (now Original Joe's) all the time and it was always packed with a wait. Food was pretty good, soup bar was the BEST.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:55 PM
Heart of the Continent

They had amazing soup.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
7-Eleven? Well, nothing like a slurpee on a hot summer, Sunday evening watching the nice cars drive by.
Is cruise nite still a thing?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is cruise nite still a thing?
Very much so.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
I think Pier 7 was open in the days of red lobster. Did lobster not close and then turn into a grapes that eventually failed and turned into another lounge that failed again?

If (drunken) memory serves me rite, i used to go to Strawberries on Sunday, then once that closed we went to Pier 7.
Yes, Grapes Pier 7 was around for a long time (anyone remember what it was BEFORE Grapes, before my time). Grapes eventually closed it for a renovation and then went out of business. There were a few other restaurants there if memory serves. it is now a Pony Corral.

As I was reminded in this thread, the Red Lobster in the parking lot of the Staples/Best Buy/Shapes mall became a revived Grapes but it didnt last long. I believe its a credit union now.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Yes, Grapes Pier 7 was around for a long time (anyone remember what it was BEFORE Grapes, before my time). Grapes eventually closed it for a renovation and then went out of business. There were a few other restaurants there if memory serves. it is now a Pony Corral.

As I was reminded in this thread, the Red Lobster in the parking lot of the Staples/Best Buy/Shapes mall became a revived Grapes but it didnt last long. I believe its a credit union now.
Wasn't there at one time a Grapes in the same strip mall that the current Boston Pizza is in on Mc.Phillips?. I seem to recall there was the Mothers Pizza (current BP location) and to the east end there was a Grapes. I am thinking where CAA and the old health food store are located.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Wasn't there at one time a Grapes in the same strip mall that the current Boston Pizza is in on Mc.Phillips?. I seem to recall there was the Mothers Pizza (current BP location) and to the east end there was a Grapes. I am thinking where CAA and the old health food store are located.
Yeah, I vaguely remember that one too. The ones I remember are:

Grapes on Main
Grapes Leon's Centre
Grapes Uptown (444 St. Mary)
Grapes Pier 7
Grapes Pembina
Grapes McPhillips
Grapes Kenaston

What were the others? Must have been one in the east side of town?

EDIT: Wow, Google works fast, literally within seconds of writing this post I googled Grapes locations and this very post (not just the thread, but this actual post) came up as the first hit in the search results

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 6:37 PM

Never had a Grapes in the east part of Winnipeg as far as I can remember. The area on Regent where everything is concentrated was not as developed as it is now.

The big deal was having a Garbonzo's on Regent (renamed by the franchise owner to C.C. Biggs after Garbonzo's went bust) and Garbonzo's on Henderson Hwy.

There was a rezoning for a KEG to go in on Lag across (south) of the Steinbach credit union and that never went to construction. There is a rumor that a fast food place is now looking at that lot.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I passed by it today and now there's a handwritten sign saying they're closed for renovations with a re-opening date posted.

So there will continue to be pizza at the Portage Place food court!
For better or for worse, the Mrs. Vanelli's in Portage Place has re-opened.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
For better or for worse, the Mrs. Vanelli's in Portage Place has re-opened.
Awww yeah

I actually don't mind their pizza, although I wish Pizza Pizza had a location right downtown for cheap pizza by the slice... the one past U of W is too far on blustery winter days.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 12:09 AM

Speaking of 7-Eleven, there is a new sign up in front of the former Zax's Burger joint at Portage and Wall. It's going to be a new Sev. Didn't see that coming.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:12 AM

If anyone knows a place for fantastic corned beef I would love to hear it. Used to be a little corner store in Elmwood where the owner made it himself. Never survived his passing. A couple friends and I have been searching ever since for its equal.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
If anyone knows a place for fantastic corned beef I would love to hear it. Used to be a little corner store in Elmwood where the owner made it himself. Never survived his passing. A couple friends and I have been searching ever since for its equal.
Bernsteins on Corydon makes their own corned beef, and its good. But you pay a lot for it. I think its $17 for their super reuben. I don't know what it costs to buy in the deli, probably $15 a pound.

Its funny how the price of brisket has skyrocketed. Like chicken wings, it used to be a really cheap cut, but it's really popular right now.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Bernsteins on Corydon makes their own corned beef, and its good. But you pay a lot for it. I think its $17 for their super reuben. I don't know what it costs to buy in the deli, probably $15 a pound.

Its funny how the price of brisket has skyrocketed. Like chicken wings, it used to be a really cheap cut, but it's really popular right now.
Been meaning to try that one. Thanks

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Sherbrook street deli, but it's pricy. Also, that meat place on Nairn just over the overpass with the cow on the roof. They make corned beef in house. Not bad. I'm not familiar with other meat shops in the North End. Some might make their own corned beef. Smiths and Winnipeg old Country make corned beef and smoked meat locally too.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Sherbrook street deli, but it's pricy. Also, that meat place on Nairn just over the overpass with the cow on the roof. They make corned beef in house. Not bad. I'm not familiar with other meat shops in the North End. Some might make their own corned beef. Smiths and Winnipeg old Country make corned beef and smoked meat locally too.
I have been to the one on Nairn with the cow. It is pretty good. Lean and fairly dry usually. Somewhat similar to Millers meats. Will try Winnipeg old country.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 2:24 AM

Quote:
I wonder if your thinking of old Charlie and his corned beef from the Oakview Grocery in East Kildonan (Oakview @ Brazier). He retired after 26 years and supposedly taught the new owner how to make it, but the store closed a few years later as it could not compete against the Safeway's etc. just on Corned Beef sales alone.

There may have been one in Elmwood that was just as good but I know my parents would send me on a 6 block walk for his if we had company drop by unexpectedly.

A bit of trivia, the 2004 move Zeyda and the Hitman (Judd Hersch, Mercedes Ruehl) was filmed in Winnipeg and as part of the plot the Oakview Grocery store was "blown up" Flames out the windows etc. All Special effects at it was still being used as a house for years after.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 2:44 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder if your thinking of old Charlie and his corned beef from the Oakview Grocery in East Kildonan (Oakview @ Brazier). He retired after 26 years and supposedly taught the new owner how to make it, but the store closed a few years later as it could not compete against the Safeway's etc. just on Corned Beef sales alone.

There may have been one in Elmwood that was just as good but I know my parents would send me on a 6 block walk for his if we had company drop by unexpectedly.

A bit of trivia, the 2004 move Zeyda and the Hitman (Judd Hersch, Mercedes Ruehl) was filmed in Winnipeg and as part of the plot the Oakview Grocery store was "blown up" Flames out the windows etc. All Special effects at it was still being used as a house for years after.
Charlie!! that was the guy! some east Indians took it over and made it for a while but they said it was too much labour for the money.

geez..now I have a tear in my eye. you must miss it too,,

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 3:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Anyone old enough to remember Omnitsky's on Main?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan