HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 6:17 PM

Mainstreet will also be releasing riding poll results from Kingston and Mississauga-Lakeshore.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:08 PM

Kingston and the Islands:

NDP 36.1%
Liberals 28.1%
PCs 24.4%
Greens 11%

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Meh, nothing funny there IMO, given that it's literally the same word in the first place - the original VW Bug was designed to be affordable and mass-produced and was thus named (aptly) The Folk's Wagon, "The People's Vehicle".

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
I thought Wynne seemed the most optimistic and positive. The other two seemed to spend a lot of time painting a picture of public services in shambles, but that's not what I see when I look around. I'm parents to young children, so I have accessed more provincial services lately than I had in a long time before. My experiences with the health care and education systems, among others, are far from the doom and gloom of the Tories and NDP.
Quote:
Wynne is a smart lady who knows exactly what she stands for and exactly what her record in government is, NDP lie from the left and exaggerate how bad things are, the PC's lie from the right and exaggerate how bad things are.

Thing is, the NDP always piss me off this way much more than the Tories do since the NDP and Liberals are the same side in terms of what they wish to accomplish. Some elections I feel the NDP only exist as a party to oppose the Liberals rather then to actually keep tories from office.

NDP and Liberals should merge into a single party both federally and provincially, either that or proportional representation should be enacted to allow multiple parties. Under fptp a divided left is always going to benefit conservatives.
NDP and PC have become two sides of the same coin under Horwath. I don't see her as all that different from Ford. She showed her true colours (or lack thereof) in the last election, and it is good that left-leaning voters have an alternative. We need calm, measured, conciliatory leadership, not partisan fear-mongering.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:03 PM

Some more Mainstreet results today:

Sousa is almost certainly going to be defeated in Mississauga-Lakeshore, PCs have about a 20 point lead.

Brampton North and West have narrow NDP leads over the PCs.

Michael Coteau is in third place in DVE, Councillor Denzil Minnan Wong of the PCs has the lead, but all the parties are pretty tight.

NDP doing shockingly well in Eglinton-Lawrence. Mike Colle is basically tied with the PCs. However that's a riding Christine Elliott would have easily won, so Ford is under-performing there big time.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:37 PM

My feeling is the Liberals will retain a few "John Tory Liberal" seats in Toronto, maybe a seat or two in Ottawa and at least one of the Thunder Bay seats.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 9:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 10:21 PM

So, what will happen if Ford pulls off a Victory on june 7th? Will the doom and gloom many of you predict come true or will it be business as usual?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 11:32 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Meh, nothing funny there IMO, given that it's literally the same word in the first place - the original VW Bug was designed to be affordable and mass-produced and was thus named (aptly) The Folk's Wagon, "The People's Vehicle".
My friend, thank you for explaining the shitty pun to us folks. *insincere smile*

Quote:
So, what will happen if Ford pulls off a Victory on june 7th? Will the doom and gloom many of you predict come true or will it be business as usual?
I asked my boss today what would happen if Doug Ford won and he said he'd have no choice but to fire me. I was going to ask my doctor the same question but I don't have one.

Joking aside, what will happen if Horwath pulls off a victory on June 7th? Will the doom and gloom many of you predict come true or will it be business as usual? Turning around the government apparatus is like turning around a train. You can do it, but it takes a long time to stop it, turn it, and get it going again.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it's going to actually be a while (about a year) before we really feel the effects of Doug Ford's government. We're still not feeling the full effects of what Trudeau is implementing in Ottawa. With the NDP, they're not turning the train around, they're just slowing it down and switching to a parallel track.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:05 AM

The contradictions of Fordian populism: I'm for the little guy - who should vote as his employer tells him!

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:12 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
The contradictions of Fordian populism: I'm for the little guy - who should vote as his employer tells him!
I think after he realized that "the little guys" are largely unionized and that unions vote NDP, he pulled out the "ask your boss how scared they are" quote.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:35 AM
Closed account

Quote:
A Ford government won't be doom and gloom in the short term. He'll probably implement most of the his tax cuts and continue spending with significant deficits over the course of his mandate. His tenure will probably be not unlike Trump's in the sense that there will be lots of 'outrage' and scandal with little-to-no focus on long-term problems.

The long-term problem will be 10-30 years down the road when healthcare costs spiral upwards due to the baby boomers imposing costs on the healthcare system. The fiscal room of Ontario to maneuver will likely be much more constrained at that juncture, especially if interest rates are much higher.

In a way, it is not unlike the position the United States finds itself in. A 15 year debt-fueled spending and tax cut spree has pushed their debt to very high levels. In addition, the US Federal Government now finds itself committed to very large mandatory spending (Social Security, Medicare) that is guaranteed by law and will rise considerably in the future. Yet, they still insist on cutting taxes and spending more.

Ultimately, the party will end somehow. The question is how big the hangover will be.

As for myself, well, I'll just keep saving for that rainy day and keeping my skills up so that should I need to bail out of the province, I'll end up alright personally. It might be selfish, but it is all I can do.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:37 AM

A significant minority of union members vote Conservative though. Though Hudak scared away a lot of union members who normally vote Conservative in the last election.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:39 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I'm probably not well-informed, but at this point, Ontario politics has become such lost cause that I'm probably gonna leave the province for good at some point...

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:54 AM

Some Mainstreet riding polls coming out tomorrow:

Flamborough-Glanbrook
Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas
Markham-Unionville
Hastings-Lennox and Addington

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:57 AM
It's Hammer Time

Andrea Horwath was in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas today and tomorrow Kathleen Wynne will be at the same riding as well. It's a two-way race with a well respected and popular Liberal Ted McMeekin vs. the NDP orange wave in the region.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:09 AM

Quote:

Flamborough-Glanbrook
Markham-Unionville
Hastings-Lennox and Addington? I feel like that one only even comes into play if the NDP are doing REALLY well (like 70+ seats level well). Will be interesting to see those numbers. If its anything other than a solid PC lead, Ford is in trouble.

The federal Liberals won that one by a hair and that took near-perfect strategic voting on the left.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:47 AM
It's Hammer Time

This is popping all over my twitter this evening, Donna Skelly is running for Flamborough-Glanbrook.

A photo from the event shows Donna Skelly, a former CHCH broadcaster turned city councillor who is currently running for Doug Ford’s Ontario PCs in the Hamilton-area riding of Flamborough-Glanbrook, waving a red hat displaying the words ‘Free Bird Media’ – an imitation of Donald Trump’s ‘Make America Great Again’ hat.

Except ‘Free Bird Media’ is an alt-right website whose video archives are filled with hours of speeches and interviews featuring prominent figures on Canada’s far-right, including two men recently charged with hate crimes.

https://pressprogress.ca/ontario-pc-...rvative-event/

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Even if that happens, the only beer I ever remember being $1 was Laker. Even Bud and Blue were over $1 by the time I reached drinking age.

Make-er-a-Laker-it’s a buck a beer!

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:25 AM

Quote:

Flamborough-Glanbrook
Markham-Unionville
And three Northern ridings: Nipissing, Sault Ste. Marie and Kenora.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario