HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Top Stories: Verde Square project still planned next to Austin's Q2 Stadium, although delayed due to economic factors.

Surprised nobody posted about this Austin American Statesman headline. But it is behind the firewall and probably nobody bothers to read the AAS let alone subscribe to it anymore.
I read it. There is not a lot of concrete info to be honest. The developer speaks optimistically about the project eventually happening, but take that with a grain of salt because they are trying to recruit tenants. It seems clear that they won't build it without sufficient pre-leasing, and given the market conditions they probably won't get that anytime soon.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Top Stories: Verde Square project still planned next to Austin's Q2 Stadium, although delayed due to economic factors.

Surprised nobody posted about this Austin American Statesman headline. But it is behind the firewall and probably nobody bothers to read the AAS let alone subscribe to it anymore.
I don't have a subscription to the AAS, but did find an article on aol.com titled "Verde Square project still planned next to Austin's Q2 Stadium, although delayed" by Gannett Shonda Novak, Austin American-Statesman May 7, 2024 at 10:30 am.

"A large mixed-use project planned next to the Q2 soccer stadium in North Austin made a big splash in 2021,..."

https://www.aol.com/verde-square-pro...153014015.html

Cheers, Lyndon

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynmark View Post
I don't have a subscription to the AAS, but did find an article on aol.com titled "Verde Square project still planned next to Austin's Q2 Stadium, although delayed" by Gannett Shonda Novak, Austin American-Statesman May 7, 2024 at 10:30 am.

"A large mixed-use project planned next to the Q2 soccer stadium in North Austin made a big splash in 2021,..."

https://www.aol.com/verde-square-pro...153014015.html

Cheers, Lyndon
Thanks !

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 6:33 PM

Noticed some renovations in the landscape and some of the buildings

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:09 AM

Kramer at Braker Ln

7-Story residential proposed

https://x.com/theatx1/status/1818381...KAMHVCgfx518rg

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:32 AM
クラブトクヨ

All of the area around Q2 needs to keep adding these!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:00 PM

Yes yes yes!!! Shrink the footprint and build it taller I say! Gimme 5 extra floors, c'mon!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 8:55 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Yes yes yes!!! Shrink the footprint and build it taller I say! Gimme 5 extra floors, c'mon!
Don’t shrink the footprint, 5 more floors. The extra units might make ground level retail pencil.

This intersection needs ground level retail on all four corners. It’s a major intersection.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Don’t shrink the footprint, 5 more floors. The extra units might make ground level retail pencil.

This intersection needs ground level retail on all four corners. It’s a major intersection.
I agree. Either require some ground level retail space or have some form of public park space for community benefit beyond the residents (Ex. grassy area and basketball court).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 9:31 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
I agree. Either require some ground level retail space or have some form of public park space for community benefit beyond the residents (Ex. grassy area and basketball court).
There may be internal private courtyards, but I can’t tell from the public materials. I don’t know that this lot is large enough to dedicate any land to public park use, especially given that there is a large quasi-public park ~five blocks away. I would wait for one of the neighboring large office parks to redevelop before we start asking for those amenities on this side of the tracks.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Kramer at Braker Ln

7-Story residential proposed

https://x.com/theatx1/status/1818381...KAMHVCgfx518rg

Wait! Where is my Culver's going? Now I will have to go way out of my way for Walleye and Cheese Curds.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 4:39 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 4:54 PM

500 Footer in the Domain

Holy cow - here I was hoping to break the 400' mark in the Domain. Does current zoning permit a 500' tower up there?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
Holy cow - here I was hoping to break the 400' mark in the Domain. Does current zoning permit a 500' tower up there?
A large area is zoned for 491' roof heights. That means towers may go over 500' with mechanical, screens, crowns & spires.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 14, 2024 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 6:52 PM

P l e a s e

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 7:32 PM

yes yes yes yes yes!!!!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:01 PM

The odd thing about this project is that it was originally proposed as 28-stories office/residential in February 2023. Then in November of 2023 it was increased to 43-stories office/residential. This was at a time when spec office was already dead. The 43-story proposal was still the plan when new elevations were released in February 2024.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:02 PM

Whoa. That is a beast of a tower. Proportions do not make it look like our other 500 footers. Looks like 2-3x as wide as the 500` point towers downtown.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:12 PM

Is that 14-15 levels of parking I see?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 3:01 AM

In Sunny North Austin, a 350-Foot Building Ain’t Nothing To Sneeze At

Quote:
Although plenty of the region north of 183 still looks like this, we’ve seen a lot of growth around the Domain and Q2 Stadium, helped along by the generous height and density allowances of the North Burnet / Gateway Regulating Plan — a special zoning district adopted by the city back in 2009 and updated many times since in the hopes that new development in this neighborhood could eventually create something you might plausibly and not cornily describe as Austin’s “second downtown.”

You are here: Home / News / In Sunny North Austin, a 350-Foot Building Ain’t Nothing To Sneeze At
In Sunny North Austin, a 350-Foot Building Ain’t Nothing To Sneeze At
JAMES RAMBIN AUGUST 14, 2024

A view of the 2700 Gracy Farms Lane site, located directly north of the Domain. Image: Google Earth

There are very few aspects of Austin’s ongoing process of urban development more personally satisfying to me than the slow densification of the north side of town, which is where I spent most of my time growing up. That scene in Office Space where Peter and his coworkers walk across an empty retention pond between parking lots on their way back from lunch is the most accurate depiction of North Austin ever filmed.

Although plenty of the region north of 183 still looks like this, we’ve seen a lot of growth around the Domain and Q2 Stadium, helped along by the generous height and density allowances of the North Burnet / Gateway Regulating Plan — a special zoning district adopted by the city back in 2009 and updated many times since in the hopes that new development in this neighborhood could eventually create something you might plausibly and not cornily describe as Austin’s “second downtown.”

Sure, it’s a work in progress, but even as the city at large sees a general development slowdown thanks to a tougher financing environment, a lot of projects are still cooking behind the scenes in “Da NBG Z0ne.” Case in point, just last night the rezoning of a roughly three-acre tract directly north of the Domain at 2700 Gracy Farms Lane sailed through the Planning Commission without any trouble, with the property’s former neighborhood residential zoning category now recommended for an update to a commercial mixed-use category under the NBG plan’s new Midway subdistrict — once you slice through all that jargon, what we’re getting here is a maximum bonus height limit on this site going from 60 feet to 350 feet, or possibly more than 30 floors.

The property is currently occupied by a former Extended Stay America hotel that sold last year and rebranded to something called “Studio Domain,” which now offers the building’s 136 rooms as furnished studio apartment rentals. The new owner, an LLC associated with Houston-based real estate investor Laxmi Mehta, is looking for this zoning change in preparation for a mixed-use redevelopment of the site described as including 350 multifamily residences, 210 hotel rooms, and approximately 20,000 square feet of ground-floor retail use. Although the height of the project isn’t stated, that new 350-foot limit ought to give the developers plenty of elbow room, with the rezoning application stating the project is currently planned for completion in 2027.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin