HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArbutus View Post
Yeah. It just seems absurd that it wouldn't align with Phibbs.

I can't decide what's more unlikely, the Purple Line routing alone Keith or routing up into Central Lonsdale to provide access to the hospital.
I doubt with the grading of Keith that they are planning on going to Central Lonsdale.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I doubt with the grading of Keith that they are planning on going to Central Lonsdale.
I mused about this in the Transit Fantasy thread a couple of months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I am thinking about the entire metro, there just isn't a compelling case to push the Skytrain station a block south to me. As for a Central Lonsdale routing, believe me, it's enticing. I think in a perfect world it actually would be preferential to have the purple line reach Central Lonsdale. The two big issues are number one, 13th and Lonsdale has an elevation of 100m! A straight shot from Phibbs to Central Lonsdale would be almost a 3% continuous climb. A more realistic tunnel from Heywood is a 4.5% continuous climb for over 2km! LIM allegedly can feasibly do 6% grades for short distances, but I find it hard to believe that this climb would be a comfortable proposition. Secondly, there just really isn't anything between Central Lonsdale and Heywood. The density really just follows 3rd and a Moodyville station is simply far more justifiable than a "Keith-Grand Boulevard" or "Ridgeway-9th" station.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 2:11 AM

That station by the hydro substation could also be a stub branch that they could use for short-turns.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I mused about this in the Transit Fantasy thread a couple of months ago.
Yeah I was thinking about this when I posted

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 2:24 AM

Foreclosure on the Travelodge/Dennys sites near Capilano Road

https://storeys.com/marvel-group-205...e-foreclosure/

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Foreclosure on the Travelodge/Dennys sites near Capilano Road

https://storeys.com/marvel-group-205...e-foreclosure/
I drove past last week and noticed the Dennys was all fenced off. I remember staying at the motel there as a kid in the 80s too.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 6:16 PM
victory in near

21 stories right next to the hospital

Quote:
City of North Vancouver council has given approval to a new 21-storey tower in Central Lonsdale.

Council voted 5-1 Monday to approve Three Shores Development’s request to build 164 strata homes over top of commercial and office space at 120-128 East 14th St.

The project includes 8,710 square metres of extra buildable space over and above what the OCP allows thanks to a density transfer from the city-owned Harry Jerome Community Recreation Centre lands for which the city will receive $18.2 million.
https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/ci...nsdale-8707351

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 6:40 PM

Quote:
We’re gaining almost $21 million as a city,” she said. “To create a livable, walkable, enjoyable city – we can’t do it on property taxes alone

This is laughable. Absolutely abysmal. $1M per floor.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
This is laughable. Absolutely abysmal. $1M per floor.
I can't tell if you think that's low or high. That's over $125k per strata unit, which directly affects the affordability of them.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 2:31 AM

Right next to Seylynn Village.

Denna Homes Proposing 31-Storey And 29-Storey Towers In North Vancouver

https://storeys.com/denna-homes-moun...rth-vancouver/

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 9:47 PM

Not sure if this is new but District of North Van is including Cap College in their Transit-Oriented Areas designation. Only seems to really impact one or two townhouse developments located next to the campus.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 2:38 AM

Might as well - Cap's not expanding the faculty any time soon, the dorms are apparently maxed out, and there's a lot of underused parking spaces on the hill...

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:02 PM

Remember that the Federal Government is mandating TOA 800m around higher educational institutions moving forward if provinces want additional infrastructure funding. We've yet to see this implemented by the province. When (or if) they do presumably the area around Cap and other local universities will be impacted.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvug View Post
Remember that the Federal Government is mandating TOA 800m around higher educational institutions moving forward if provinces want additional infrastructure funding. We've yet to see this implemented by the province. When (or if) they do presumably the area around Cap and other local universities will be impacted.
Ah I missed that. And the federal government condition for high-frequency transit is not just stations but the entire line?

I wonder if the post-secondary TOA will apply to satellite buildings or just main campuses.

https://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/hou...ement-eng.html

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:23 PM

Are we forgetting that the province mandated this specifically as part of the TOD legislation?

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/ho...ne_30_2024.pdf

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this is new but District of North Van is including Cap College in their Transit-Oriented Areas designation. Only seems to really impact one or two townhouse developments located next to the campus.
When I go on the website below I can only see Phibbs Exchange. Can you please link to where you're seeing Capilano? My parents have a house in that area. I'm now nosy...

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...elopment-areas

Edit: I think rickvug clarified this issue with their post

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquitlaman View Post
When I go on the website below I can only see Phibbs Exchange. Can you please link to where you're seeing Capilano? My parents have a house in that area. I'm now nosy...

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...elopment-areas

Edit: I think rickvug clarified this issue with their post
Phibbs Exchange is considered a "day 1" TOD zone so it's listed there, Capilano University Exchange is considered a "by June 30" TOD zone, so it's listed under the link I provided.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:46 PM

https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/we...-rules-8896924

Quote:
West Vancouver council rejects provincial housing rules

Council voted unanimously to kibosh a rezoning allowing more coach houses and suites on about 200 properties
Quote:
The District of West Vancouver council has rejected a rezoning that would have allowed additional coach houses and secondary suites on about 200 residential properties and brought the district in line with new provincial legislation.

The vote to reject the plan comes after the province gave municipalities a deadline of June 30 to bring local bylaws in line with new rules allowing greater density on single-family lots to supply more “small scale housing.”

Most single-family lots in the rest of West Vancouver already allow both secondary suites and coach houses, so wouldn’t have been impacted by the change.

But about 220 properties – or about 1.6 per cent of the total in the district – stood to have their allowable density increased as a result of the provincially-mandated change (about 40 of the properties already have apartments, so the real number impacted is closer to 180).

The rules about how many dwellings must be allowed on lots varies depending on the size of the lot and how far it is from major bus routes.

Senior planner David Hawkins previously stressed to council the new rules don’t require owners to build on their properties and will only impact property owners who decide they want to build additional housing on their lots.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
On one hand, I can't support West Vancouver fucking around.

But on the other hand, I'm really excited to see what the Province is going to let them find out.

Hard to believe they're so dogmatic that they're going to risk the wrath of God (err... the Province) over control of 200 lots. But as a former North Shore resident, it's not actually that hard to believe.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:55 PM

And now for some music:

Quote:
Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley