HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 8:45 PM
cities|transit|croissants

My understanding is that if your home catches fire, your furniture & carpet go up like tinder, and the smoke from that gets you long before any heavily treated wood frame becomes a real problem. But I'm not an expert.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:23 PM

Wong..... Did I just see you on city-data?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:25 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
Wong..... Did I just see you on city-data?
Yeah.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Welp, Emerson Place just got engulfed in flames. It just topped off not long ago, too.

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2017/0...son-place.html
Reminiscent of the massive fire that destroyed apartments under construction in Glendale in 2013.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Reminiscent of the massive fire that destroyed apartments under construction in Glendale in 2013.

Video Link
or this...

Btw, over the last year suburban Phoenix has had 2 or 3 Yuge fires

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:18 PM

LA had an 8 story stick frame go up in Dec 2014 and I think I saw that one posted on here on the uses of wood or some topic like that.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:32 PM

Raleigh this time last year

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
Raleigh this time last year

Video Link
or this.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemans_rowJ View Post
Was just watching the video from cbs4 and it looks like a pile of ash with only the elevator shafts standing.

With all these wood frame apartment buildings, that would definitely give me pause if I was renter and I sure as heck wouldn't buy a condo in a wood frame structure like the new condos on 13th/Penn
Buildings are designed to be finished. They are subject to calamity before they are complete. A serious wind storm can topple a building under construction but that same building would not be affected once it is complete. Same thing with fire. Especially once the fire sprinkler system is installed.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:25 AM

I see that Zara is coming to Denver finally. First store at Cherry Creek mall but I’m sure they’ll have a 16th Street Mall location within a year or two. They are a step above H&M.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:19 AM

I'm stoked about Zara coming to Denver. I like their stuff a lot more than H&M. I remember speaking with a cashier at a Seattle location about how I wished that Zara would open a store in Denver. She remarked: "I think they are just sticking to the major US cities", ignoring the fact that Seattle and Denver are more or less the same size.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:45 AM

Amazon's first book store in Denver not so urban but will locate in Lone Tree/Park Meadows instead, according to the DBJ.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I'm stoked about Zara coming to Denver. I like their stuff a lot more than H&M. I remember speaking with a cashier at a Seattle location about how I wished that Zara would open a store in Denver. She remarked: "I think they are just sticking to the major US cities", ignoring the fact that Seattle and Denver are more or less the same size.
When Nike left Pavilions and H&M was to open, Zara was mentioned in a number of articles on DP and DBJ as the next store to open there, that was back in 2011. Inditex then stopped their US expansion and didn't resume it until recently. Not to be a dick, but Zara is just a Spanish H&M that exists in cities with population around 200k people in Europe, there is no reason for one not to open in COS over time as well. The cashier was rather ignorant of Zara's concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
I see that Zara is coming to Denver finally. First store at Cherry Creek mall but I’m sure they’ll have a 16th Street Mall location within a year or two. They are a step above H&M.
Their high street locations are rather nice in terms of the architecture of the exterior. I would love to have a Zara on 16th - possibly Market Station? They are gonna have a lot of retail, including 2 floors tall stores.

I wonder if they bring the rest of Inditex over time, they tend to come as a group of stores (Zara, Bershka, Stradivarius and Pull&Bear, sometimes Massimo Dutti). Now we need Primark, NewYorker (German H&M) and Terranova (Italian H&M) and my European heart will be happy.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:03 PM

Is it even possible to Kenect Denver?

According to RyanD/Denver Infill this Arapahoe Square project's design review process is a thing and you can read about the particulars there. Here's the rendering:

Courtesy DenverInfill from the submittal docs

Akara Partners is the developer so I wondered who is Akara Partners?

Akara is the Chicago based brainchild of Rajen Shastri. His track record is relatively brief but it is real. He's built three apartment projects in Chicago and last fall teamed up with Mortenson on a Home2 Suites by Hilton Hotel for Chicago's River North. For Mortenson, well known for their hotel developments, this will be their first project in Chicago.

Kenect is to be the apartment brand they export as they also have a proposed Kenect in Nashville.

Photo credit: Nicholas James Photagraphy via Curbed Chicago

A look through the new Kenect apartments on Milwaukee Avenue
By AJ LaTrace Oct 20, 2016 - Curbed Chicago
Quote:
...one of the biggest new developments for this popular corridor is the Kenect apartment complex. The project, which features 227 apartments, officially opened a few weeks ago and according to Akara Partners founder and CEO Rajen Shastri is nearly half leased.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:36 PM

I think it's awesome this project could spur a whole new wing of high-rises in the Arapahoe Square area. However, that blank wall in that rendering..... bleh.

I am going to assume these renderings are still preliminary and will get updated with time. So perhaps that will go away. At least this developer has some record......

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:27 PM

Kenect looks to be micro units.

"The typical residential floor is comprised of 16 units, 11 of which are studios at 360 sq. ft. in size. Three 1-bedroom units per floor measure 560 sq. ft., while two other 3-bedroom variations measures 1,125 sq. ft."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:04 PM

For these blank walls, I understand the economics of why they are there. What I don't get is why the developer can drop 10gs to get a bomb ass mural painted on it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
For these blank walls, I understand the economics of why they are there. What I don't get is why the developer can drop 10gs to get a bomb ass mural painted on it.
Oh.. I'm sure there will be some type of mural on it. But why pay for it? There will be plenty of businesses willing to pay to have something up there and and whoever runs that HOA will have a nice option to lease that space to offset their expenses.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I think it's awesome this project could spur a whole new wing of high-rises in the Arapahoe Square area. However, that blank wall in that rendering..... bleh.

I am going to assume these renderings are still preliminary and will get updated with time. So perhaps that will go away. At least this developer has some record......
Agree about the bleh Wall. Would love to see a Confluence like strucuture there.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:26 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Agree about the bleh Wall. Would love to see a Confluence like strucuture there.
I'm actually loving the International Style elements of this building- even the blank wall. Though I want to see what the material would be- maybe 34 stories of EIFS panels?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West