HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

1444 Alberni East Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 5:21 PM

Does it seem odd to have a construction management company on board before even demo was a possibility? I could just be unfamiliar with what has been happening on this site over the years.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Does it seem odd to have a construction management company on board before even demo was a possibility? I could just be unfamiliar with what has been happening on this site over the years.
Bastet are "BIM Consultants/Providers with construction, technical, value engineering, and 3D modeling expertise" If you go to their website you'll see a testimonial from Wayne Pai of Landa!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 5:54 PM

Huh I guess I didn't think they were in a pre-construction phase yet and still working on DP design changes to get their permit through.

Starting to make sense if sales stalled out here as they're pushing for 1818 Alberni now.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 7:38 PM

Pre-con is an active part of the process through the design and entitlement, otherwise you have no idea if the project you are submitting for rezoning or DP is financially feasible.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 9:15 PM

I guess some orgs have different team structures that makes sense and they'd need them, but I thought they'd just go straight for a contracting company.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 3:57 AM

Any updates? Hopefully this will still be RAMSA ?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:48 AM

Sorry nope, there hasn’t been any movement on this for five years now.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:00 AM

Seems like the final sale price was $170 million Canadian from this Asia Standard filing from 2016. On the Alberni JV projects Asia Standard is 40% and Landa 60%

http://www.asiastandardhotelgroup.co...0of%20Land.pdf

From their 2023 annual report

Quote:
In addition, the Group’s wholly owned developable
land adjacent to the Landmark On Robson is in the
planning stage of development, while its two joint
venture residential developments on Alberni Street
are in active discussions with the local city’s planning
department.
https://www1.hkexnews.hk/listedco/li...3072801361.pdf

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:07 PM

Landa has pretty close connections to China. I wonder if the property woes there are weighing them down.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Landa has pretty close connections to China. I wonder if the property woes there are weighing them down.
What close connections to China does the article identify? Being born there (then moving here at aged three, and going back to work there after attending UBC, and still having family there) doesn't seem to be a particularly 'close connection'. Holding property there, or having developments there would obviously have a potential impact. There's no suggestion of that in the article? (It's not like Asia Standard who developed The Landmark, who also develop in Hong Kong and Chinese cities).

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Sorry nope, there hasn’t been any movement on this for five years now.
Good. Hope it gets redesigned. We don't need faux-NYC on the west coast

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
What close connections to China does the article identify? Being born there (then moving here at aged three, and going back to work there after attending UBC, and still having family there) doesn't seem to be a particularly 'close connection'. Holding property there, or having developments there would obviously have a potential impact. There's no suggestion of that in the article? (It's not like Asia Standard who developed The Landmark, who also develop in Hong Kong and Chinese cities).
The family in China is in the development business according to the article.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
disagree on these. they are well designed NY style. i thought it was a nice change up from our usual. i would be disappointed if they ended up changed.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Backed by money from his and Wang’s family (who are also in real estate in Shanghai)
https://www.landaglobal.com/news/lun...-kevin-cheung/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Yes, exactly what I was referring to. And wasn't there a similar situation with Coromandel? Add to those two the group behind 1045 Haro and it seems China's property meltdown is rippling across the Pacific.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yes, exactly what I was referring to. And wasn't there a similar situation with Coromandel? Add to those two the group behind 1045 Haro and it seems China's property meltdown is rippling across the Pacific.
If you mean do all three companies have a founding director who came from China? Yes. Coromandel's problems were because it didn't have any family financial backing from family - or if there was any, not enough. Jon Stovell at Reliance said "I would call them a small developer with unusually large land holdings." They borrowed way too much, and didn't develop soon enough, so got hit once interest rates went up. They appear to have managed to get out of creditor protection as their partners for development like Peterson and Nicola Wealth have bought them out, but they're also not developing (at least, not for now).

Port Capital (who aren't Chinese at all) had a similar situation. Landa were one of the two bidders for the stalled Coal Harbour project.

The Haro project was different - they paid too much to acquire a site, and didn't even submit an application. It was way too big a project for an entirely inexperienced 'developer'.

Landa may have started with family backing in 2017, but there's been no suggestion of any Chinese lenders demanding their money back recently. They've built more than Coromandel, and appear to be on track to start their smaller Alberni project (if the article is accurate).

Vivagrand Developments have had their Robson project in foreclosure, and they are affected by the Chinese property situation. Their Facebook page described them as the "North American office of Xiangli, a leading real estate firm with 22 years of experience."

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
disagree on these. they are well designed NY style. i thought it was a nice change up from our usual. i would be disappointed if they ended up changed.
Agreed.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I disagree that it's "faux New York" There are no doubt buildings in other cities with similar design features. In all respect, do you prefer green glass and zig-zag balconies? I'm rather fed up with that.
Quote:
May I "third" your opinion? And as I said, the style, though predominantly 'New York,' is not exclusive to it. {People's thoughts get "stuck inside a box" sometimes.}

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
do you prefer green glass and zig-zag balconies? I'm rather fed up with that.
Quote:
i thought it was a nice change up from our usual
^^These are false dichotomies. If this project has the budget to pull off art-deco in a non-cringy way, it's not going to look like "the usual". I rather see that high-end money going towards another Bjarke Ingels or Kengo Kuma, or ideally something more representative of the West Coast.

Also, the "green" glass cliche is about 15 years out of date

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:49 PM

Quote:
^^These are false dichotomies. If this project has the budget to pull off art-deco in a non-cringy way, it's not going to look like "the usual". I rather see that high-end money going towards another Bjarke Ingels or Kengo Kuma, or ideally something more representative of the West Coast.

Also, the "green" glass cliche is about 15 years out of date
You speak as if Art Deco was not a part and aspect of "West Coast" architecture and architectural landscape at the at turn of the last Century in the 1920's and '30's - as it was in most cities' citiscapes during that time.

In which respect, why would an Art Deco revival style like this be any more out of place as "West Coast" (or inversely,..any "less" West Coast) than say,...City hall or any other art deco inspired modern building that wasn't actually built in the 20's and 30's but still happens to be located in the west coast?
There's plenty of those in downtown.

Or for that matter, why is it any less "West Coast" than any other pre-modernist revival style that you can find all over the place in BC that's still accepted at west coast architecture by virture of the fact that it's here?

Architectural style is more often a product of its time rather than its location.
You know that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver