HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 1:11 AM
Forever forward.

Indeed.

It’s too bad there isn’t going to be a stop at Bay—the density is really starting to accumulate.

Was there ever an estimate for how much it would’ve cost to add one? Maybe the City could’ve funded it from the surrounding developments, somehow.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanholmes View Post
Indeed.

It’s too bad there isn’t going to be a stop at Bay—the density is really starting to accumulate.

Was there ever an estimate for how much it would’ve cost to add one? Maybe the City could’ve funded it from the surrounding developments, somehow.
The longer I live here, the more odd it seems that Bay St wasn't added as a stop. It makes sense from a marketing and cost perspective I suppose, but the city spending money on the station would require forethought and buy in from our council, in which case you're asking for far too much!

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 1:17 PM
Forever forward.

Excavator on site this morning. Looks like they may be beginning to clear out the rubble.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 1:27 PM

Makes sense. In the CHCH video they said the debris would be cleaned up before the end of September, then construction would start shortly after.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 6:30 PM

Bin on the east most side of Caroline, and the sidewalk is closed for work to start:

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:40 PM

The site is beginning to be cleared up today.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:31 PM

The state of the of the site today:

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 12:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

New downtown condo is set to rise from the ashes of Hamilton Store Fixtures
Five months after ‘devestating’ fire, Radio Arts condo development will break ground
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...velopment.html

A much-awaited downtown condo development will finally break ground in December.

Toronto-based developer, Vernon Shaw, says construction crews will begin the shoring process for his 14-storey, 122-unit downtown building on the former site of the Hamilton Store Fixtures “in the next week or two,” pending a final permit from the city.

It comes just five months after the century-old building — once famous by virtue of its unsightly brown metal cladding — was razed in a suspicious fire that threatened to stall demolition and building plans for the new highrise.

“After what we’ve been through in the last few months, it’s great to get to this point,” Shaw, president of Canlight Realty, said at the site on King and Caroline streets, Thursday.

Shaw said the massive June fire (which led to a woman being a charged with arson) came as a shock, despite his firm already having plans to demolish the historic building.

“It was devastating,” he said. “A lot of people said, ‘Oh, you don’t have to demolish the building now,’ but it really was a terrible thing to happen. We lost a lot of great artifacts that were in there and we had to clear the rubble, which is a lot harder than the methodical demolition of a building.”

Indeed, crews worked for months to clear the nearly street-light-high pile of rubble left in the wake of the fire, a process Shaw called arduous and dangerous.

“You’ve got to take some rubble here, some rubble there, and it takes a long time and is very difficult,” he said. “But with a demolition, you can do it bit by bit and kind of control everything.”

What will now rise from the ashes is a highrise that Shaw hopes celebrates the building’s past.

Dubbed the “Radio Arts” condos — a name invoking a former life of the building at from the 1960s when it was the home of CHIQ radio — the sleek tower will incorporate some key elements of the old Hamilton Store Fixtures, namely its brick-and-bream architecture and arched windows.

“Even though we unfortunately lost a lot of elements in the fire we wanted to keep, like the (building’s) logo, we’re still going to keep the aesthetic and theme of the original building,” said Przemyslaw (Shem) Myszkowski, president of the architectural firm KNYMH Inc., who also designed the Royal Connaught building. “It’s going to be built in that spirit as a kind of homage.”

That said, the building will boast several modern features tailored to young professionals, including a stacked car-parking system, a fifth-floor coworking space, a rooftop overlooking the harbour and a ground-floor coffee or whiskey house that channels the fictional “Central Perk” meeting spot from “Friends.”

Shaw said the goal is to create a residential space that’s both hip and community-oriented, sexy and moody, “a place you enjoy being in.”

While condo sales took a hit after the fire, Shaw said they’ve since picked up, with almost 90-per-cent of units in the building now sold. He expects construction to finish by the summer or fall of 2024.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Shaw expects construction to finish by the summer or fall of 2024.
18 months to occupancy for this project is very unrealistic. If you've bought into Radio Arts, I'd count on occupancy no earlier than mid-to-late 2025.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
18 months to occupancy for this project is very unrealistic. If you've bought into Radio Arts, I'd count on occupancy no earlier than mid-to-late 2025.
I don't think it's unrealistic. It's a moderately small building. Buildings like those on Augusta went about as fast as you'd expect for this building. KiWi also got some pretty quickly. Started June 2020, occupancy is February 2023. This was a much larger building than Radio City. If you look at the speed of KiWi, 1 Jarvis, and McMaster, I don't think 18 months is unreasonable.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I don't think it's unrealistic. It's a moderately small building. Buildings like those on Augusta went about as fast as you'd expect for this building. KiWi also got some pretty quickly. Started June 2020, occupancy is February 2023. This was a much larger building than Radio City. If you look at the speed of KiWi, 1 Jarvis, and McMaster, I don't think 18 months is unreasonable.
Laundry Rooms on Augusta was 18 months shovels to occupancy, and it's less than half the size of Radio Arts.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 8:07 PM

I doubt this will be 18 months, but it's not going to be 3 years either. My guess would be early 2025.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:59 PM

December 1, 2022 clean up complete

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 7:27 PM
Hamilton Historian

I see they still haven't repaired the A&W's warped siding..

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 1:28 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnPxfnLP...d=OGQ2MjdiOTE=

Some aerials from Geoff Fitzgerald

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 6:26 PM

Wasn't this one supposed to break ground in February? Here we are in April now and still nothing. Pretty concerning stuff lately with all these developments getting delayed.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 6:32 PM

the shoring permit here hasn't been issued yet.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Wasn't this one supposed to break ground in February? Here we are in April now and still nothing. Pretty concerning stuff lately with all these developments getting delayed.
I'm guessing the rising cost of everything is delaying "all these developments".

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 6:56 PM

100%

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 7:02 PM

My guess is most likely permitting delays with the city. Developers are almost always overly optimistic on how long it takes to clear the last few site plan conditions before they can get permits. That's likely the case here, and the same for Vrancor's site across the street.

For 41 Wilson, that one is likely because sales slowed down substantially late last year. they are waiting to hit higher sales numbers I suspect on their second tower, as they have their shoring permit issued already so they aren't waiting on that.

Television City has finally started, but it too was waiting on permits for a bit from the city due to a zoning issue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton