HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 6:39 PM
ARTchitecture

Sorry that I haven't been keeping up the front page of this thread guys. I haven't been living there for like 2 years now so it's hard to stay up to date.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 11:12 PM

Dude no reason to be sorry. You post more Vancouver updates in the Canada section than any of us lazy SSP localers.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Dude no reason to be sorry. You post more Vancouver updates in the Canada section than any of us lazy SSP localers.
Chad is fearless! I'm too afraid to post over there...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
Chad is fearless! I'm too afraid to post over there...
I think many of us can agree. I got sick of visiting the Great Canadian Skyline thread due to the one sided fanboyism over Toronto's skyline (featured on almost every page) which I think pales in comparison to Vancouver's and its mountainous / ocean backdrop. Sorry off topic.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 2:22 AM

Yeah, Canada forum is all about Toronto, Montreal and Calgary (sorry, Chad ). I tend to copy some of my post there as well, but there is often zero replies or comments on anything Vancouver related, so I really struggle to find the motivation to post there.

Meanwhile there is endless commenting and awe on yet another Montreal skyline photo or Toronto glass tower update. It's... just... crazy sometimes over there. It's as if they would be too obnoxious or jealous of our beautiful and fast-developing Vancouver to give us any credit for it.

Truth be told, we have many Vancouverites on this forum that never comment on Canada forum. More local "support" on Canada forum would likely mean also more Vancouver discussion. So everyone can do something there...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 2:46 AM

It's not jealousy for sure... they're really just all about the height over there, hence Vancouver updates aren't that exciting to them. How often does Chad post a rare photo update of a beautiful project from here, only to be followed by a pause, and then "I hear 10 York is getting another 5 stories" "Could it break 250m??" "I won't settle for less than 248m!" or "Here's Aura... from today again, but at 4pm"

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 2:51 AM
ARTchitecture

Klazu, that's exactly how I feel about Calgary. Every time something good happens here or is proposed here, there is someone to put it down because they're jealous... that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop posting though. That's why I post Vancouver updates too. The projects between our two cities sets a new bar in this country for innovation and design, and that deserves to be seen regardless of the shitty pedantic responses.

Now if only Burnaby could build something interesting or cool! Are there any low-rise projects currently going on there that are more "outside of the box" looking? Like, say, along the lines of Merchants Square in New West?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:01 AM

West is now the new East and Canada's future. People need to get over the old Toronto and Montreal centricity and put more of their focus to everything West. The era of West is about to begin, led by cities like Vancouver and Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:51 PM

This appears to be a Millennium Project south of Halifax St. on Gilmore Ave.

Not sure if this is current or dead, but the pics were recently posted on the Dikeakos architecture website.

http://www.dikeakos.com/projects/hig...gilmore-avenue

See comment by Kirin from the Aviara thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I think that's the reminiscence of the older Millenium Development project that was suppose to be 46 stories tall. The March 2013 public hearing for it was cancelled, so I don't know much beyond what was reported in the following articles:

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/46-st...aring-1.407860

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/propo...limbo-1.409282

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 4:55 AM

Lots of projects in this shot - besides Sovereign and MetroPlace, I think that's Silver just in front of MetroPlace, and cranes for Station Square and the MET are visible too.

My photo, from today.

Last edited by Locked In; Mar 21, 2014 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:01 AM

Onni has erected a billboard on the corner of Lougheed and Gilmore, advertising a project thats "Coming Soon."

Will they be developing the vacant lot beside the Gilmore Skytrain station? Or does Onni own a parcel elsewhere in Brentwood?

Any rumours? I would think it might be something interesting given the sheer height proposed and being developed in Brentwood right now.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Onni has erected a billboard on the corner of Lougheed and Gilmore, advertising a project thats "Coming Soon."

Will they be developing the vacant lot beside the Gilmore Skytrain station? Or does Onni own a parcel elsewhere in Brentwood?

Any rumours? I would think it might be something interesting given the sheer height proposed and being developed in Brentwood right now.
Onni purchased the whole thing.. All the land adjacent to the Gilmore station and the existing offices beside it. However, if "Coming Soon" means more than a year later to Onni then yes its "coming soon", otherwise its going to be a while before they get going.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanK View Post
Onni purchased the whole thing.. All the land adjacent to the Gilmore station and the existing offices beside it. However, if "Coming Soon" means more than a year later to Onni then yes its "coming soon", otherwise its going to be a while before they get going.
Cool, good to know.

Indeed, who knows what "Coming Soon" means, but the billboard did just get put up.

I would think Onni would have to make this project rather appealing, it seems to me most money in the area will be going to "The Amazing Brentwood" (what an awful marketing slogan!) when that comes up for sale.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:40 PM

At least Onni has some commercial space in its portfolio - so there's sme hope that office space will be built next to (and connected to) the station.

http://www.onni.com/commercial/office/#gmap

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 7:42 PM

Article on Lougheed Town Centre redvelopment.

Strange, but it sounds like there will be less commercial space (office) than Brentwood, even though it's at the convergence of 2 SkyTrain lines. It sounds like a largely residential neighbourhood, especially if they are concentrating residential near the station.

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/lough...tages-1.932034

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 12:24 AM

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
This appears to be a Millennium Project south of Halifax St. on Gilmore Ave.

Not sure if this is current or dead, but the pics were recently posted on the Dikeakos architecture website.

Malcolm Parry's article in the Sun today says a 45 storey Millennium project near Brentwood (near OMA) is expected to start construction in Fall 2015.
I think it would be this one.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 8:39 PM

Metrotown skyline from my friend's new balcony:

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 9:46 PM
Reason and Freedom

Nice.

Thanks for the photo.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 1:04 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a Metrotown shot from that angle. Thanks for sharing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley