HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

300 North LaSalle in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:04 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Does it look like that is still on track to become this ...

... or not?
The phrase "EPIC FAIL" comes to mind. The glass doesn't even come close to the render.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:09 PM
Majestic

Aside from the urine-coloured base (srsly, wtf), this is a very photogenic building. The majority of the tower (ie. the shaft) looks better than 90% of what's out there. Hopefully the crown turns out nicely once finished as well.

Flickr

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:42 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Aside from the urine-coloured base (srsly, wtf), this is a very photogenic building. The majority of the tower (ie. the shaft) looks better than 90% of what's out there. Hopefully the crown turns out nicely once finished as well.
I don't disagree that the building is attractive, but I am seriously disappointed with the differences from ever render I've seen. The colors aren't even comparable and the emphasis on vertical fins in the renderings is non-existent.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 6:06 PM
Windy City Dan

"EPIC FAIL"??? Oh come on... this building is anything but.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:06 PM

No "epic fail", but after 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta, I expected more.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:41 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
"EPIC FAIL"??? Oh come on... this building is anything but.
In terms of resembling the render, it is absolutely an EPIC FAIL. The building that was built is attractive, but it isn't what was presented.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:27 PM

yea are building is green

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
In terms of resembling the render, it is absolutely an EPIC FAIL. The building that was built is attractive, but it isn't what was presented.
The building isn't finished yet either.

The textures as seen in the renders isn't far from what we got.

Let them finish the building, then let us judge its quality.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 1:19 AM

It looks just like the render to me, besides that fact it is green. Overall it's about what I expected from the begining. I'm personally glad to have it as part of the skyline, especially where it's located. I hope it'll push more development in that area.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 2:28 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
HDR is not the base's friend . They really should have chosen a more subtle color, like, um, not urine. Nice shots, though.
These strange ochre greens and yellows are the "it" colors of the year; the Grand Kingsbury, while more of a snotty green, is still the color of something that you would never, ever want to put into your mouth (unless you are Lou Reed, or someone else with more ahem "eclectic" appetites).

So, I'm wondering - are these firms using the same out-of-house color consultants? Or perhaps it's just the zeitgeist.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 2:29 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Isn't it curious... both this tower and Trump are fairly "cool" glassy towers, yet both went for this clashing "soft" / "warm" feeling around the base. I don't get it....
Not just these, but some other big projects as well. like the base of KPF's One World Financial Center in Shanghai (pics courtesy Staff @ http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=3701128&postcount=2553 - he takes some wicked pics):

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post

Contrasty.

At some point, these things become formulaic, no? But I'd be really interested to know on what recent project this particular architectural meme originated.....

Last edited by wrab; Nov 25, 2008 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 3:07 AM
Registered

^ Wow, that's a bummer. But the execution is so good, at least it's convincing... not precast with urea admixture.

Where did it start? First place I remember seeing it was in a suburban Panera Bread shop. High design there... Seriously, though, I'm curious too - it's amazing how these things seem to travel by wind. I can't think of a particularly influential firm or project that would have started this. Maybe Kieran-Timberlake from 1995?

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:15 AM
TL;DR

I don't know about 300 North LaSalle, but I believe the base of SWFC is a reaction to 9/11. It was designed right around the time of that tragedy, and I'm sure the developers behind SWFC were freaked out by the possibility of a terror attack on their building, which has a name equally as pretentious as "World Trade Center". Thus, the stone is applied to the base to conceal thick fortress walls of concrete intended to protect against bomb blasts. The same thing will take place on Freedom Tower when it is eventually built.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:37 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Yes, of course, the Freedom Tower, with its windowless & impregnable fortress base; that would be a precedent for the split between base and shaft, albeit an inelegant one.

Is it possible that City Hall is driving the use of warm precast or masonry along the river walks? Does anyone on the boards know if there are city-issued guidelines for building there? I'm flashing on Daley, pre-Millennium Park - the whole Paris fixation, with the planters & stuff.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 5:16 PM

11/19/08

11/24/08

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 5:58 AM
Everywhere all at once

*GASP* FINS!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 6:30 AM

i love this building

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:06 PM
The City

Enough can't be said for how well this contributes to the canyonization of the river. Add Wolf Point and 444 W Lake to the mix and we will finally eliminate that annoying sun forever! Buahahahaha!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:17 PM

those fins look white. will they be clad with stainless steel or is this what we're going to get? it could just be the sun's reflection, but they look painted white to me.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
those fins look white. will they be clad with stainless steel or is this what we're going to get? it could just be the sun's reflection, but they look painted white to me.
Could be a protective film. I am definitely glad to see fins, but after looking at the first render on page 1, we obviously aren't getting what was proposed. Over time, the "new" renders were being toned down so subtly, that by the time this one came (below), I didn't even realize there was a change. Then I went back to the first page after quite a long time. I am not disappointed though, the building is turning out great, and there is still time for them to add extra "pieces" to make them really stand out. And I think the addition of lighting will really help. It could be much worse, we could still have a parking garage there. Overall I am happy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive