HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, the T&T is reporting that CRA did a poll on the relocation of the public library to MHS in late April with the following results:

71% of those interviewed were in favour of relocating the library as part of a plan to create a cultural centre
19% were against the concept
11% were unsure.

Those are pretty big numbers. This should put some pressure on city council and mayor-elect Dawn Arnold to consider relocating the public library......

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:52 PM

The mayor mentioned that there are other back up options if they didn't move the library, but the numbers don't lie! Plus moving the library, would open up space for blue cross to expand without having to move buildings.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
The mayor mentioned that there are other back up options if they didn't move the library, but the numbers don't lie!
How was the question asked, though? Did most people answer "yes" because they want to save the MHS building no matter what and/or they don't use the Public Library much anymore anyway? It's just kind of a funny thing to judge the numbers of public opinion on if most people believe the only options are to either move the library or demolish the building.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
How was the question asked, though? Did most people answer "yes" because they want to save the MHS building no matter what and/or they don't use the Public Library much anymore anyway? It's just kind of a funny thing to judge the numbers of public opinion on if most people believe the only options are to either move the library or demolish the building.
I'm not sure MonctonRad posted the stats, I was just commenting on the mayor mentioning they had other options. Though you are correct, if these people who voted are just saying it to save Moncton high, or if they don't use it, then moving it would be pointless.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't know what the actual question was, and it certainly is valid that you have to phrase a question properly to get a non biased response.

I imagine this was just a routine phone survey of the general populace. If the same question was asked only of regular library users, I imagine the response would have been decidedly different as well.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:19 PM

I'm in favour of relocating it as long as it's not going to cost the city any extra money or very little money if there is to be a cost.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:32 PM

Right, we need to see the financials first. Is the supposed $40M to refurbish MHS still the number floating around? Was that number just inflated to justify the new Royal Oaks MHS? Even if it's half of that, who pays for the refurbishment? Tax payers or MH35(who are then compensated by rent payments)? What would the rent cost the city compared to downtown? If it's a lot more, what other options are there?

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 7:48 PM

I could have sworn the CBC article had the question when I first looked at it; but looking at it now ( http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...hool-1.3587414 ), the question is gone now, and I can't remember what it was.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Right, we need to see the financials first. Is the supposed $40M to refurbish MHS still the number floating around? Was that number just inflated to justify the new Royal Oaks MHS? Even if it's half of that, who pays for the refurbishment? Tax payers or MH35(who are then compensated by rent payments)? What would the rent cost the city compared to downtown? If it's a lot more, what other options are there?
Locating a library to a mold and mildew infested building is not a good idea obviously. Not only that, they had plumbing, heating and many other issues. A library needs an environment that is totally under control. It's not going to be cheap or easy and I wonder if people are really considering the costs. You can bet your wallet that the taxpayer will be flipping the bill one way or another.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 1:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

T&T reported today on the PAC meeting and confirmed that GoodLife will be part of the Sobeys expansion proposal. So, it is definite that there will be two GoodLife locations across the street from one another, with the one in the Sobeys plaza presumably the relocated women's only facility.

The newspaper article however did not make it clear if it will be part of the strip mall on the south side of the NBLC, or on the lot between Shoppers and the VIA station.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 2:04 PM

The only disappointment about the new gym across the street from sobeys is that, it will be more parking spaces, the city seems to have this problem with approving buildings with sprawling parking lots.. These ones are downtown which is worse. More large parking lots equals more people driving, atleast when the gym was right downtown it forces people to have to walk some to get to the gym adding in more pedestrian foot traffic for downtown. So it is sad that the new gyms will both be on the outskirts of downtown away from all the businesses.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 10:02 PM

A couple of nice patios have been added to the downtown area.

Rouge nightclub has put all new railings up and expanded their patio area further down robinson court. They are also doing some repainting.

Third glass built a beautiful patio practically overnight. The patio takes up the entire width of the sidewalk so there is now a wooden extension with a railing built into the curb to allow foot traffic to pass by. They must have a great relationship with the city to get something like that approved.

I can snap a few pictures tomorrow if anyones interested.

Also looks like theres now signage on the old Tuttle Bros building for a law firm moving into that building. Anyone know of any other planned tenants?

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
A couple of nice patios have been added to the downtown area.

Rouge nightclub has put all new railings up and expanded their patio area further down robinson court. They are also doing some repainting.

Third glass built a beautiful patio practically overnight. The patio takes up the entire width of the sidewalk so there is now a wooden extension with a railing built into the curb to allow foot traffic to pass by. They must have a great relationship with the city to get something like that approved.

I can snap a few pictures tomorrow if anyones interested.

Also looks like theres now signage on the old Tuttle Bros building for a law firm moving into that building. Anyone know of any other planned tenants?

Post the pictures it would be nice to have some color for the page!

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
les Gourmandes cheese delicatessen and chocolate shop is moving from the Keddy's block (Crowne Plaza Hotel) to 527 Main Street, across from the Codiac RCMP headquarters.

It sounds like the retailers in that strip attached to the Crowne Plaza are being "encouraged" to relocate. Sounds like something might be afoot now that the events centre is underway........

So, what's up Mr. Aquillini??
According to the T&T today, les Gourmandes was asked to relocate to help make way for a new restaurant in the Keddy's Plaza. There is currently no word what this restaurant will be, but presumably there is a secured tenant or else les Gourmandes wouldn't have been asked to vacate.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 1:09 PM

Quote:
According to the T&T today, les Gourmandes was asked to relocate to help make way for a new restaurant in the Keddy's Plaza. There is currently no word what this restaurant will be, but presumably there is a secured tenant or else les Gourmandes wouldn't have been asked to vacate.

I think that this is all tied in with the major renovations comming up at the Crowne Plaza. But I hope that part of aqulini's plans is to tie in a parking structure to the project.

I hate hearing from people that parking will be an issue when the new events center will be open. But we do need a few more parking structures close to the events center.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 2:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I hate hearing from people that parking will be an issue when the new events center will be open. But we do need a few more parking structures close to the events center.
Indeed.

No matter how much the city tries to deny it, the lack of non bootable parking near the events centre will be a huge issue.

If one simply looks at an aerial image of the downtown core, one is struck by the sheer amount of surface parking available, but the vast majority of this is privately leased parking policed by the "boot Nazis". Most people I know who casually go downtown for the evening avoid any surface parking lots (unless they are clearly city lots) like the plague in order to avoid the risk of that $175.00 (cash only) private parking "tax", and the unwelcome encounter with a surly and unshaven boot Nazi. Paranoia is rampant out there. It serves as a huge disincentive to visit the downtown and gives our city a huge black eye for potential visitors from SJ or Freddy who are aware of the issue.

If it were up to me, I would outlaw the boot Nazis entirely and I would ensure that all private parking lots were walled in and gated in order to prevent any confusion in the minds of people as to where it is safe to park or not.

I am no fan of surface parking. It is a waste of space and an urban blight. The city needs more parking structures. If Charlottetown can have three large downtown parking structures, then why can't we? We're between 2-3 times larger than Charlottetown for cripes sake!!!

Maybe the events centre will supply the impetus we need to rectify the situation........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmmm: I was just thinking - since the private booting fine paid to the Nazis is "cash only", I wonder how much of that is actually declared to Revenue Canada? Is there any paperwork anywhere? Maybe this is the way to get rid of the Nazis. Does anyone feel like registering a complaint to the CRA????

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 22, 2016 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Indeed.

No matter how much the city tries to deny it, the lack of non bootable parking near the events centre will be a huge issue.

If one simply looks at an aerial image of the downtown core, one is struck by the sheer amount of surface parking available, but the vast majority of this is privately leased parking policed by the "boot Nazis". Most people I know who casually go downtown for the evening avoid any surface parking lots (unless they are clearly city lots) like a plague in order to avoid the risk of that $175.00 (cash only) private parking "tax", and the unwelcome encounter with a surly and unshaven boot Nazi. Paranoia is rampant out there. It serves as a huge disincentive to visit the downtown and gives our city a huge back eye for potential visitors from SJ or Freddy who are aware of the issue.

If it were up to me, I would outlaw the boot Nazis entirely and I would ensure that all private parking lots were walled in and gated in order to prevent any confusion in the minds of people as to where it is safe to park or not.

I am no fan of surface parking. It is a waste of space and an urban blight. The city needs more parking structures. If Charlottetown can have three large downtown parking structures, then why can't we? We're between 2-3 times larger than Charlottetown for cripes sake!!!

Maybe the events centre will supply the impetus we need to rectify the situation........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmmm: I was just thinking - since the private booting fine paid to the Nazis is "cash only", I wonder how much of that is actually declared to Revenue Canada? Is there any paperwork anywhere? Maybe this is the way to get rid of the Nazis. Does anyone feel like registering a complaint to the CRA????

You have to look at it this way though, do you really think that the private lot owners are going to miss the chance to make extra money off people who plan on attending events. They will be hiring someone to stand at the end of their lots and take cash only payments to park, probably in the $10-$15 range, which means people's "fears" of getting the parking boot should be gone.

Also remember we have roughly 2 years till opening so I'm sure someone is going to take advantage of building a parking structure. Honestly the city should never get involved in that, let private investors build it, because it's a cost that the city can't afford, they will probably never make the money back in our life time. Crossed fingers someone cough Aquilini cough and Crombie decide to build some.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 2:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Colour for the page:

http://vintagemoncton.com/wp-content.../Shot-Full.jpg

From the Vintage Moncton website.

This aerial photo would be from the early 1970s. The old "Keddys Hotel (now the Crowne Plaza) is under construction. CN had a much larger presence downtown (three tracks over the subway, and the spur line behind Assumption Place is still there). The Hall's Creek traffic circle is yet to be built. In many ways though, the downtown is little changed from now, despite the passage of over 40 years.......

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 3:40 PM

Talking with one of the employees with heritae management they fully expect to be installing secured gates in the heritage court parking lot this summer and providing passes to employees of the building. The good news being that they fully intend on having their lot avaipable on event nights for a small fee. Thats around 1000 spaces close to the centre as the lot is basically empty after 5-6 pm

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 4:50 PM

I counted 1,995 official painted parking stalls in the front and rear of the Moncton Coliseum. Lets round that off to 2000 parking stalls.

People's 1960's mentality of having the luxury of parking in front of the door of their favorite mom&pop shop needs to change.

As previously mentioned, private lot owners have a huge opportunity to cash in. And I like MonctonRad's idea of outlawing the Boot Nazis and force the lot owners to fence & gate up their lots. The money they'll rake in with pay dividends quickly!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces