HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #181  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 12:31 AM
passwordisnt123 passwordisnt123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa (Centretown)
Posts: 643
Mayor and council do have the power to make this guy's life more miserable though. The only person I ever saw who made any nontrivial efforts to do that was Catherine McKenney.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #182  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 5:22 PM
SL123 SL123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Mayor and council do have the power to make this guy's life more miserable though. The only person I ever saw who made any nontrivial efforts to do that was Catherine McKenney.
Just read a few post earlier in this thread and you'll see that the previous council tried exactly that and yet the owner didnt give a —.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #183  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 5:32 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is online now
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,451
Hard to believe this was 15 years ago..







Mine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #184  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 4:58 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
The problem isnt the mayor or the council! its the owner
Watson's attitude was "we don't want to set a bad precedent by expropriating" when not expropriating did exactly that. So yeah. I the Mayor and Council should get part of the blame.

I don't see the new cohort being any better when it comes to heritage preservation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #185  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 3:48 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is online now
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,451
6 may 2008

Found another old photo on my flickr account.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #186  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:33 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
I don't get why developers buy a heritage property just to let it rot for decades. This seems way too common.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #187  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 5:42 PM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I don't get why developers buy a heritage property just to let it rot for decades. This seems way too common.
This guy is a particular brand of stupid mixed with spiteful. He refuses to play ball with the city AND has absolutely zero clue how to re-develop a heritage building/property like this one. I suspect I will live my entire adult life with this building in decay.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #188  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 5:50 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,930
I wish the city would just expropriate and fix it themselves.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #189  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:02 PM
DarthVader_1961 DarthVader_1961 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 480
I was under the impression this is — in court actions/litigation
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #190  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 3:15 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Submitting yet another proposal. Docs aren't up yet.

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applications/D07-12-22-0003/details
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #191  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 4:16 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,706
Despite the DevApps description of "Demolition and reconstruction of the three storey heritage building and the addition of six residential storeys.", I see only 4 floors, 15m, and sketchy details with no renderings yet.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #192  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 6:10 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Despite the DevApps description of "Demolition and reconstruction of the three storey heritage building and the addition of six residential storeys.", I see only 4 floors, 15m, and sketchy details with no renderings yet.
On par for the course.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #193  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 6:53 PM
DarthVader_1961 DarthVader_1961 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 480
I am truly puzzled as to why things are still dragging with this
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #194  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 6:49 PM
Mousel Mousel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 36
New planning rationale now up on devapps: https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applications/D07-12-22-0003/details

From the planning rationale:

The proposal is for a mixed-use development consisting of a single low-rise building, comprised of a heritage renovation of the existing three storey structure and the construction of a three storey addition on a 592m2 parcel of land.

The proposed development will include one basement level and three above grade levels. The basement will contain a retail tenancy and building service rooms. The ground floor will include a retail tenancy (which could be subdivided into two tenancies, one of which would be contiguous with the basement retail floor area) as well as the apartment lobby for the 2 floors of renovated and reconstructed space on the second and third floors for apartment uses. The residential floors will contain 14 residential units, arranged in studio, one and two bedroom configurations.

Photos from the planning rationale:



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #195  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 7:21 PM
rocketphish's Avatar
rocketphish rocketphish is offline
Planet Ottawa and beyond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greater Ottawa
Posts: 14,706
Thanks for the update Mousel, and welcome to the forum!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #196  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 8:13 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Well here we are. A reasonable proposal. Considering the basement level will not be parking, I'm assuming the proposal actually maintains the building, eg. not facadism.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #197  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 8:18 PM
Mousel Mousel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 36
Thanks rocketphish! I've been a longtime lurker but since this building is one that I have been watching for years now I decided to finally make an account and post.

As for whether this consists of facadism or not, I'm not really sure it matters considering how little is left of the building? I think it's basically just an facade right now!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #198  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 8:23 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousel View Post
Thanks rocketphish! I've been a longtime lurker but since this building is one that I have been watching for years now I decided to finally make an account and post.

As for whether this consists of facadism or not, I'm not really sure it matters considering how little is left of the building? I think it's basically just an facade right now!
You might already know already if you've been lurking for a while, but I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to full retention v. facadism.

For me, the foundations and entire structure are worth keeping. For the engineering of the day, better build quality, the environmental factor (reuse over completely new structure and materials). Ogilvy is the one that stinged the most for me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #199  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 8:30 PM
Mousel Mousel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
You might already know already if you've been lurking for a while, but I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to full retention v. facadism.

For me, the foundations and entire structure are worth keeping. For the engineering of the day, better build quality, the environmental factor (reuse over completely new structure and materials). Ogilvy is the one that stinged the most for me.
Haha that's very valid. I actually agree, I'm big on historical preservation and if they could keep the stone foundation visible in the basement that would be great. Having read some of the other documents in the devapps it seems that the condition of the bricks are severely deteriorated and may not be fully structurally sound so I'm guessing that in this case it may become necessary to replace a bunch of them and perhaps resort to facadism for structural soundness.

Ogilvy was a particularly egregious example.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #200  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 8:52 PM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,654
I don't see why everyone is so down on Ogilvy. It took an old and underused structure, maintained its heritage character and made it a hub of activity again. I think it's one of the nicest building on Rideau (doesn't say much I guess...) and I hope to see similar with Somerset House. As long as they maintain the facade along both Bank and Somerset streets it will once again be the focus of this dying street corner.

https://goo.gl/maps/noEnwTzybMUPjtgE9
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:20 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.