HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #621  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 4:25 PM
plrh plrh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’m for bike lanes everywhere and always but these are yet again lanes from nowhere to nowhere. Without the bridge crossing the river these are useless bike lanes.
They will be useful for me. I go between River Heights and St B a lot. But I agree the new bridge will be helpful. Connecting Wellington to the Norwood bridge is a big step.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #622  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 4:54 PM
zalf zalf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’m for bike lanes everywhere and always but these are yet again lanes from nowhere to nowhere. Without the bridge crossing the river these are useless bike lanes.
I think it actually links up rather decently to existing or near-future bike infrastructure. The design connects the multiuse path at Harkness Station and the Norwood Bridge. That in turn gets you to the St Boniface protected lanes described in Moving on Marion that run down Marion and Goulet. Also gets you all the way from Wellington to the Forks.

It would be nice if the Osborne Bridge didn't 🞵🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵, though. The paths there are wide enough that the City could probably replace the Cyclists Must Dismount signs with Cyclists Must Yield to Pedestrians. Doesn't change anything materially, but it would be acknowledging reality and it would nice to not have the nagging fear of getting fined by an understimulated bylaw officer. The bigger problem is how narrow it gets at 11 Evergreen and the Shell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #623  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 7:06 PM
pegster pegster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 258
^ Agreed.

As a cyclist who lives in the Village, between River and Stradbrook, these bike lanes will be much appreciated and become part of my daily commute (come warmer weather). It's now the cycling experience on Osborne, and particularly the bridge I must cross to get to work every day, that needs to catch up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #624  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 7:11 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,081
I’m definitely not opposed to them but for such a big intervention they just don’t connect things to things. I personally can’t envision where I’d be going to use them. A north-south connection for OV should be the top priority. Connect OV to the rest of the city.

I wish it at least connected to the Maryland Bridge and Sherbrook lane instead of spitting you out on to a terrifying stretch of Wellington. I ride on the sidewalk from Stradbrook to the bridge when I’m there.

I heard that the Moving on Marion plan is 15 years from implementation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #625  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 7:45 PM
pegster pegster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 258
Agree, if it connected to Maryland and Sherbrooke bridge, say if there was a bike lane on Wellington there, you'd have a pretty pleasant cycling way to and from The Forks on both sides of the river. Maybe one day?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #626  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 9:15 PM
zalf zalf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I heard that the Moving on Marion plan is 15 years from implementation.
Yikes. I didn't realize it was so far out. Though Goulet is in such rough shape, I'll hold out some hope that that component will be dealt with sooner.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #627  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 10:10 PM
WildCake WildCake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,071
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Yikes. I didn't realize it was so far out. Though Goulet is in such rough shape, I'll hold out some hope that that component will be dealt with sooner.
Yea couldn't they do like what was done to Pembina? Add the bike lanes when rehab is being done? It's piecemeal but two-birds-one-stone that would reduce overall capital spending.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #628  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 10:32 PM
Johnny199r Johnny199r is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 46
Hooray for more protection from being killed while riding my bicycle! Looking forward to this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #629  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 9:24 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,371
*15 years* in the old lady from Titantic voice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #630  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 1:30 AM
anthonyk anthonyk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: SE Manitoba
Posts: 322
I am moving to Winnipeg from Steinbach in April and I am so excited to be able to bike places, I know Winnipeg isn't known for its AT infrastructure, but it is way better than Steinbach and I am looking forward to it.

I still have to commute to the Steinbach area 3 days per week though...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #631  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 3:33 AM
plrh plrh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I am moving to Winnipeg from Steinbach in April and I am so excited to be able to bike places, I know Winnipeg isn't known for its AT infrastructure, but it is way better than Steinbach and I am looking forward to it.

I still have to commute to the Steinbach area 3 days per week though...
That's a long ride.jk
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #632  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 1:29 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I am moving to Winnipeg from Steinbach in April and I am so excited to be able to bike places, I know Winnipeg isn't known for its AT infrastructure, but it is way better than Steinbach and I am looking forward to it.

I still have to commute to the Steinbach area 3 days per week though...
I always thought smaller communities were pretty bike friendly? Nothing is really too far to cycle to in Steinbach, and really other than the main drags of PTH 12/52 which are pretty busy, most other streets are fairly quiet and don't have excessively heavy traffic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #633  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 4:48 PM
3de14eec6a 3de14eec6a is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
That's a long ride.jk
I do weekend rides to my parent's place in Steinbach and back to my place in North Kildonan during the summer. It's pretty fast unless there's a headwind both ways.


Steinbach has no real cycling infrastructure. There are a few sharrows - but paint isn't infrastructure. And one or two multiuse paths. Some actually connecting areas in good ways. But those are mostly used by elderly people walking (like my parents).
But agreeing with esquire, it doesn't really need much. I cycled around the streets in Steinbach a lot in the years before I moved to Winnipeg. Nearly everything is low speed streets aside from from the mile square and the highways. And main has enough lights, and is wide enough that it isn't a problem.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #634  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:37 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,204
For anyone that still seriously thinks mixed use pathways are okay in Winnipeg for pedestrians and bikes, including ebikes, to share a space look at this. That is the direction ebikes are moving towards. They do not require a license to operate, can do 32 km/h and currently are allowed anywhere bikes are. Yes this Fiat is technically not an ebike, yet, and isn't available in North America, yet, but it is the direction the market is heading.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #635  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:39 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,204
Yes, someone is going to point on why that "isn't a bike" but factually this one is an ebike and there are similar ones that have been in Manitoba already. Considering the Fiat is being marketed in Europe as essentially a car for teens that don't have licenses and the growth of full fledged road going EVs in Canada it won't be long until we see something like the Fiat as an ebike here.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #636  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:44 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
I would look to Asia for answers to this issue... although they're somewhat new here, ebikes have been very popular there for over 25 years. I'm sure they have sorted out some of the best ways to deal with this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #637  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:21 PM
WestEndWander WestEndWander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
For anyone that still seriously thinks mixed use pathways are okay in Winnipeg for pedestrians and bikes, including ebikes, to share a space look at this. That is the direction ebikes are moving towards. They do not require a license to operate, can do 32 km/h and currently are allowed anywhere bikes are. Yes this Fiat is technically not an ebike, yet, and isn't available in North America, yet, but it is the direction the market is heading.

Comparing this to e-bikes is a bit ingenuous. Many urban municipalities have begun to regulate e-scooters and I don't think e-bike regulation will be far behind.

If you're an avid manual power cycler you can already hit a steady 25km/hr. pace on any multi use pathway in the city. We have giant trucks and SUV's flying around a mere foot away from every major pedestrian corridor in the city. I would think regulation of those types of vehicles should be more of a priority in regards to everyone's safety.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #638  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 6:05 PM
Johnny199r Johnny199r is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 46
I find people who drive those battery-powered mopeds on sidewalks/bike lanes incredibly annoying.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #639  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:01 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Comparing this to e-bikes is a bit ingenuous. Many urban municipalities have begun to regulate e-scooters and I don't think e-bike regulation will be far behind.
If you think companies aren't working on ways to bring something like that Fiat out and call it an ebike in North America the only person you are fooling is yourself. It is just a matter of time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #640  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 9:13 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If you think companies aren't working on ways to bring something like that Fiat out and call it an ebike in North America the only person you are fooling is yourself. It is just a matter of time.
You seem to think that just cause something is called an ebike it will automatically be allowed wherever bikes are. You know things can be outlawed pretty easily.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.