Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloops
Many like myself will simply bypass downtown. Too bad bc all the constuction and tinkering will cause a lot of spending public to go elsewhere.
Always mentioned re Main is safety...good thing.
Never mentioned is enforcement. when is the last time you saw the cops ticketing speeding, illegal turns etc downtown?
|
Many already do bypass downtown, albeit by driving right through it.
Is it reasonable to be able to travel across the centre of a largish city on an arterial street at a steady 60 km/h clip? (if timed right for the traffic signals, it's still do-able).
Also, Radley has conflated the result of a temporary change in a suburban road network with a permanent one in a more urban setting, that has its east-west through-streets spaced much closer together than those in the upper city. There will be an adjustment period for auto traffic for sure, and it will not seem reasonable to those used to cutting across town in cars on the one-ways. But the lower city's network has been set up at one extreme -- to serve through auto traffic -- for decades! And while I've benefited from that personally (I used to be able to drive from east Hamilton to Mac in under 15 mins) it never seemed reasonable either, especially compared to driving in other similarly-sized Ontario cities.
The better comparison will be the changes in person-trips along the main corridors of the lower city's network once transit improvements are made, rather than strictly thinking about impacts on auto trips. And a 2-way Main will help once sections of King are restricted during LRT construction, so better to get on that now before those disruptions occur.
I do agree about enforcement. For example, Main between Gage and the Delta is a drag strip. When the light at Gage turns green, some drivers (motorcyclists especially) 🞵🞵🞵 it and I'd wager they're going far closer to 100 km/h than 50 by the midpoint of the block. I'm amazed nobody's been killed in just the 5 months I've been living in this area and hearing the roar of the racers, and I've yet to see police with radar. The 2-way conversion here will resolve some of that issue, but not all.