HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #681  
Old Posted May 15, 2023, 10:35 PM
ColSJ's Avatar
ColSJ ColSJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itme View Post
Not happening this year, hearing from very good sources it will be spring 2024 start IF interest rates improve and they can get bank financing. Not trying to be a buzz kill but we should all hamper expectations that this will be starting anytime soon. This is a massive project for Elias Group and they've never taken anything of this scale on before, I'm still skeptical they will be the ones to eventually develop it- but I hope im wrong!
You may want to consider getting new sources
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #682  
Old Posted May 16, 2023, 3:49 PM
UptownJeff UptownJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 523
So. A bit of news on the Boardwalk area. The City made the restaurants close their patios a month early in 2022 with the promise that concrete temp patios would be ready by June 1st of this year. Fast forward and they revised this to the "we "hope" to have temp gravel patios by July 1st" effectively meaning that the restaurants would lose at least 2 of their best months. This, needless to say, did not go over well - they demanded a meeting with the city. Some owners apparently have had to cash in investments, take out mortgages etc. The City has now promised "they will try" to get temp gravel patios by June 10th. The gravel patios will be smaller by about half from what wa in place last year and what is expected when fully complete. Sad situation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #683  
Old Posted May 16, 2023, 5:51 PM
adamuptownsj adamuptownsj is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saint John NB
Posts: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
So. A bit of news on the Boardwalk area. The City made the restaurants close their patios a month early in 2022 with the promise that concrete temp patios would be ready by June 1st of this year. Fast forward and they revised this to the "we "hope" to have temp gravel patios by July 1st" effectively meaning that the restaurants would lose at least 2 of their best months. This, needless to say, did not go over well - they demanded a meeting with the city. Some owners apparently have had to cash in investments, take out mortgages etc. The City has now promised "they will try" to get temp gravel patios by June 10th. The gravel patios will be smaller by about half from what wa in place last year and what is expected when fully complete. Sad situation.
Saint John is dropping the ball on a lot of different things. Unless the port is involved or it's in Millidgeville, it's not happening, is my rule of thumb. The city is too incompetent to build a bike lane or patios on schedule. What are these people doing all day?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #684  
Old Posted May 16, 2023, 6:09 PM
bridgeoftea's Avatar
bridgeoftea bridgeoftea is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Saint John is dropping the ball on a lot of different things. Unless the port is involved or it's in Millidgeville, it's not happening, is my rule of thumb. The city is too incompetent to build a bike lane or patios on schedule. What are these people doing all day?
Not trying to be rude to the hard working construction people, as I couldn't do that type of work. But I find watching the camera pointed at Fundy Quay. Half the time, looks like nobody is even on site and there's 1 or 2 cars on a Wednesday.

Is this due to materials? Is it due to labor shortages? My rule would be, once land transfer is in place you have 3 weeks to have shovels in the ground or face some sort of consequence. If only I could just chat to the mayors and people to know their thoughts lol.

I also feel like the Harbour Bridge construction is the same way. Where you notice a lot of the activity happens about 4 weeks before the end of the October. But that's just my observations not as a project manager of construction or any knowledge about construction at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #685  
Old Posted May 16, 2023, 8:28 PM
adamuptownsj adamuptownsj is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saint John NB
Posts: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Not trying to be rude to the hard working construction people, as I couldn't do that type of work. But I find watching the camera pointed at Fundy Quay. Half the time, looks like nobody is even on site and there's 1 or 2 cars on a Wednesday.

Is this due to materials? Is it due to labor shortages? My rule would be, once land transfer is in place you have 3 weeks to have shovels in the ground or face some sort of consequence. If only I could just chat to the mayors and people to know their thoughts lol.

I also feel like the Harbour Bridge construction is the same way. Where you notice a lot of the activity happens about 4 weeks before the end of the October. But that's just my observations not as a project manager of construction or any knowledge about construction at all.
You don't need to be an expert to correctly identify a whole lot of nothing happening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #686  
Old Posted May 16, 2023, 8:32 PM
ColSJ's Avatar
ColSJ ColSJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Is this due to materials? Is it due to labor shortages? My rule would be, once land transfer is in place you have 3 weeks to have shovels in the ground or face some sort of consequence. If only I could just chat to the mayors and people to know their thoughts lol. .
For the loyalist plaza construction there is no land transfer. This is city paying for work on city land. What we are seeing is the cost of accepting the lowest bid. You get what you pay for. Tough reality. I share all of your frustrations on this matter.

As for the private portion of Fundy Quay I would encourage you to keep an eye on the cameras next week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #687  
Old Posted May 17, 2023, 3:41 PM
Itme Itme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
You may want to consider getting new sources
I hope your right! My sources have nothing but bad news on the site, id be thrilled if they were wrong
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #688  
Old Posted May 17, 2023, 4:51 PM
ColSJ's Avatar
ColSJ ColSJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itme View Post
I hope your right! My sources have nothing but bad news on the site, id be thrilled if they were wrong
I don’t want to jump the — and reveal everything I know but I’m stuck with the fact a lot of public dollars have been spent on this property therefore the public deserves to know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #689  
Old Posted May 17, 2023, 6:28 PM
Itme Itme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I don’t want to jump the — and reveal everything I know but I’m stuck with the fact a lot of public dollars have been spent on this property therefore the public deserves to know.
Dooooooo it....give the people what they want
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #690  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 1:59 PM
DyAm00394 DyAm00394 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Saint John, N.B
Posts: 2,052
Looking at the webcam, and I noticed they've delivered a small roller truck. It's now working on flattening the ground going from the SW to NW side of the property.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #691  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:06 PM
homebody homebody is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saint John, N.B.
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Looking at the webcam, and I noticed they've delivered a small roller truck. It's now working on flattening the ground going from the SW to NW side of the property.
That will make it nice and flat for the cars that will be using it . This whole development is so painful to watch!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #692  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:41 PM
DyAm00394 DyAm00394 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Saint John, N.B
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Looking at the webcam, and I noticed they've delivered a small roller truck. It's now working on flattening the ground going from the SW to NW side of the property.
And now it's in the NE area. Must be going around the whole property re-flattening the ground.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #693  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:50 PM
ColSJ's Avatar
ColSJ ColSJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 854
What we are seeing is the first sign of site prep by the developers. It’ll be small and slow to begin with like we are seeing but will ramp up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #694  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 6:57 PM
darkharbour darkharbour is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
What we are seeing is the first sign of site prep by the developers. It’ll be small and slow to begin with like we are seeing but will ramp up.
I'll take any progress at this point. I know there is a lot of pessimism around here, but I'm going to hold out optimism - I mean what choice do I have?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #695  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 11:10 PM
JakeNB JakeNB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Saint John
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
What we are seeing is the first sign of site prep by the developers. It’ll be small and slow to begin with like we are seeing but will ramp up.
Are you sure about that? Sure it’s not the City’s contractor finishing up their site prep work? A previous post indicated that the anticipated site turn-over was not until this summer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #696  
Old Posted May 23, 2023, 11:36 PM
Sabien Sabien is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 169
After the roller arrived this morning and went over a few areas for a couple hours, 2 guys showed up and started testing the soil compaction (from what I could see) with handheld penetrometers. After a short while they spoke with the roller operator for a few minutes, who then loaded the roller back onto the flatbed and left. I don't know what this means but the area where they were working was outside of the city's contractor construction site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #697  
Old Posted May 24, 2023, 12:12 AM
ColSJ's Avatar
ColSJ ColSJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
Are you sure about that? Sure it’s not the City’s contractor finishing up their site prep work? A previous post indicated that the anticipated site turn-over was not until this summer.
My "source" (although I wouldn't really call them that) is of the utmost reliability. And based on the info I was told I posted on here last week to watch the cameras as a nod you'll see some activity. On the first working day of the week that happened. I was told not to expect anything major this week but that things would progress as they go on.

So... yes Jake I am very sure We will talk soon as time moves along and I share more
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #698  
Old Posted May 24, 2023, 12:33 AM
JakeNB JakeNB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Saint John
Posts: 198
Very odd that a developer would be doing work on a site that has not yet been formally turned over. Also odd that a developer would be rolling a site rather than excavating. But yes we will see in the fullness of time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #699  
Old Posted May 24, 2023, 12:53 AM
ColSJ's Avatar
ColSJ ColSJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
Very odd that a developer would be doing work on a site that has not yet been formally turned over. Also odd that a developer would be rolling a site rather than excavating. But yes we will see in the fullness of time
There is really nothing odd about either. You are just dead set on stirring any bit of doubt you can pull. If tower crane pieces arrived tomorrow you'd question whether they were delivered to the right address
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #700  
Old Posted May 24, 2023, 3:24 AM
Seely32's Avatar
Seely32 Seely32 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
Very odd that a developer would be doing work on a site that has not yet been formally turned over. Also odd that a developer would be rolling a site rather than excavating. But yes we will see in the fullness of time
Its like your more worried about telling us "I told you so" then having any real interest in this project. What would your solution be? Are you ready to develop this lot? What are your plans? The develop and city are working with a site that has proved to be a quagmire for multiple councils and multiple developers over 2 decades. We are closer than we have ever been to something, anything happening here.

If you know better, than please go ahead, submit your plans, get your funding and get the ball rolling.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.