Originally Posted by zahav
Gotcha, thanks! Wasn't sure the exact increases, but was fairly sure it was increases across the board. Flair will feel a pinch, and I have no idea what Lynx is surviving on, there are only so many domestic routes to attempt, and chances are one or more competitors are operating the routes already. But best of luck to all of them, it's nice having the competition. Just skeptical about the long term viability of all these carriers. Even the US, with over 8 times our population and many more large cities, only has 3 main legacy carriers (American, Delta, and United), and then 5 or so smaller and/or regional and/or low cost carriers (Alaska, Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, JetBlue). Canada essentially has two legacy carriers (AC & WS), and then 5 or so smaller and/or regional and/or low cost carriers (Lynx, Flair, Porter, Air Transat, Swoop), plus the super regional ones like Air North, Canadian North, Air Inuit, etc. So we aren't far off the US in terms of number of national airlines, despite a vastly smaller population, and way less populated cities. I feel like AC and WS will take out Lynx and Flair eventually, but I think there's room for Porter, especially seeing how conservative they are. I mean come on, if WS couldn't even maintain a base at YYZ, by far the largest and most important airport in the country, then that says something about how much demand and capacity there really is domestically. Like I said, I wish all of them luck and welcome the healthy competition, but just being realistic. There ain't a lot of untapped route pairings to go for, so the path to success is limited.
|