I really want to love this one, but I think it will come down to materials used, at least at street level. Even if the building is not the most appealing building from a distance, if it has good landscaping, and is visually interesting at street level I can make certain concessions.
Although I don’t think this won’t be the most striking building based on the most recent renderings, I think it will certainly have a presence and add a lot of density to an area really needing it (looking at you large parking lots and vacant lots around the Vic). I also don’t doubt it will bring a lot of great shops to the waterfront (I kind of get the feeling that there will be two levels of commercial space on this one).
I seem to recall the winning art gallery proposal as having similiar attributes... ie. outdoor family type recreational opportunities on the harbour as well as a forest area with fire pits and floating trees, etc. Seems redundant for Develop NS to spend on this project. Why not give the budget to the Art Gallery and get that project going?
The two small man-made beaches in downtown Toronto called Sugar Beach and HTO provide a really great vibe and energy. Love to see something like those at Cunard.
The two small man-made beaches in downtown Toronto called Sugar Beach and HTO provide a really great vibe and energy. Love to see something like those at Cunard.
Agreed, I'd love to see something of this size but unfortunately the Cunard one looks a little small. Fingers crossed they can find the space to expand it and make it more similar to Sugar/HTO beach!
Walked by this project yesterday and love the massing/design, but holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵 that seafoam, boring burnt orange and useless blue spandrels ruin what could have been something very special.
Blah.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish