HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 8:19 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
I have no inside information on this at all, but my understanding is that the University's long-term plan is to remodel or replace the older buildings that currently house the Mitchell Hospital. Maybe the plan is to move the emergency facilities back there.
My old firm responded to an RFP about that back in 2018(?), about converting Mitchell into a dedicated cancer hospital, but iirc, there were many building system issues that would have made an easy conversion somewhat cost-prohibitive..? I think there were other issues, I just can't remember right now what they were, I'm sure other forumers might have better memories.

I mentioned this sometime last year but perhaps bears repeating: one thing to keep in mind is that the University and UCM are collaborating for a long-term capital planning initiative to create a 'West Campus', near the 55th St Green line stop. Mostly because the main campus is already fairly packed (north of the Midway), but also because they are trying hard(er) to be better engaged in the immediate South side community, work with residents, community organizations, etc., to act as a catalyst for better development in that area, and not as an island anymore. One of the first projects that is currently under construction/renovation is a fossil research lab, with a community outreach program, and it should be wrapping up construction this year. I do not know if the University currently has a comprehensive, overall master plan for these new sites, but they've quietly been purchasing lots in and around that 2-3 block radius near the station for a few years, so SOMETHING is definitely brewing..

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
My old firm responded to an RFP about that back in 2018(?), about converting Mitchell into a dedicated cancer hospital, but iirc, there were many building system issues that would have made an easy conversion somewhat cost-prohibitive..? I think there were other issues, I just can't remember right now what they were, I'm sure other forumers might have better memories.

I mentioned this sometime last year but perhaps bears repeating: one thing to keep in mind is that the University and UCM are collaborating for a long-term capital planning initiative to create a 'West Campus', near the 55th St Green line stop. Mostly because the main campus is already fairly packed (north of the Midway), but also because they are trying hard(er) to be better engaged in the immediate South side community, work with residents, community organizations, etc., to act as a catalyst for better development in that area, and not as an island anymore. One of the first projects that is currently under construction/renovation is a fossil research lab, with a community outreach program, and it should be wrapping up construction this year. I do not know if the University currently has a comprehensive, overall master plan for these new sites, but they've quietly been purchasing lots in and around that 2-3 block radius near the station for a few years, so SOMETHING is definitely brewing..
What would the west campus consists of? New academic buildings with a quad and a dorm? Some administrative buildings?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 9:23 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
What would the west campus consists of? New academic buildings with a quad and a dorm? Some administrative buildings?
From what I recall, it would be primarily science/research-related buildings, with classrooms, labs, etc., but that would also have community outreach elements..at least, the project I previously mentioned would be a prototype for those type of facilities. And I think (BIG think) is that they would start with one facility or center, and then slowly populate the lots that they own over time and depending on future neeeds.

Things change on a regular basis when it comes to campus planning and development, so what was planned last year may have already evolved into something different, I do not know. But the University's main goal is to be more present and engaging within the communities surrounding UC.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 9:46 PM

Quote:
But the University's main goal is to be more present and engaging within the communities surrounding UC.
That's really good. Will be very good in the long run.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 11:49 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
One of the first projects that is currently under construction/renovation is a fossil research lab, with a community outreach program, and it should be wrapping up construction this year.
Where is this exactly?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 11:56 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Where is this exactly?
Wabash and Garfield blvd.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Wabash and Garfield blvd.
Hm. That's where the Schulze Baking Company Building is. No open lots around there, and it's at the outskirts of the Green Line redevelopment zone. I'd be surprised if the University was eyeing any projects that far from Washington Park.

Is this the project you have in mind: https://scitopiachicago.org/? It's a planned STEAM center for teens that's headed up by a U of C paleontologist.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Hm. That's where the Schulze Baking Company Building is. No open lots around there, and it's at the outskirts of the Green Line redevelopment zone. I'd be surprised if the University was eyeing any projects that far from Washington Park.

Is this the project you have in mind: https://scitopiachicago.org/? It's a planned STEAM center for teens that's headed up by a U of C paleontologist.
I live nearby, and there's absolutely an active renovation permit on the block, associated with the university. Work has been ongoing for a few months now, but this is the first time I've seen anything, even speculative, about the nature of the project. If it's a public facing program like this, then I'll be stoked!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:47 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowArch View Post
I live nearby, and there's absolutely an active renovation permit on the block, associated with the university. Work has been ongoing for a few months now, but this is the first time I've seen anything, even speculative, about the nature of the project. If it's a public facing program like this, then I'll be stoked!
Yup! Across the street from Schulze.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Yup! Across the street from Schulze.
Oh, yeah, now that I think about it, I recall seeing that the U of C acquired several of the parcels just east of the Schulze Building, where the old brick warehouses are. I'm guessing that's the spot for the development? If so, that's really interesting: It's several blocks from Washington Park and would show that the University has pretty ambitious designs for the area around the Green Line stop.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:49 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:

I am not familiar with this, but this looks amazing, and may be part of something, perhaps a separate initiative, different from the one I've mentioned which is specifically a prep, research and preservation lab.

But this one that you provided a link to is awesome, I hope it becomes a reality!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2023, 3:50 AM

Quote:
I am not familiar with this, but this looks amazing, and may be part of something, perhaps a separate initiative, different from the one I've mentioned which is specifically a prep, research and preservation lab.

But this one that you provided a link to is awesome, I hope it becomes a reality!
Ah, I found it! Here's information about the fossil lab project: https://paulborgconstruction.com/fossil-lab. As I guessed, it's in the old warehouse space next to the iconic Ms. Biscuit restaurant, across from the Schulze Building. That's going to really activate this historic corner.

Last edited by Rally Monkey; Apr 1, 2023 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Ah, I found it! Here's information about the fossil lab project: https://paulborgconstruction.com/fossil-lab. As I guessed, it's in the old warehouse space next to the iconic Ms. Biscuit restaurant, across from the Schulze Building. That's going to really activate this historic corner.
Not to start a furor, but this reminds me of that old warehouse they tore down on Stony Island near Solstice on the Park.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development