Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
Not really, the exact opposite.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Not really, the exact opposite.
Not sure it really does much. Chuy was the CTU candidate against Rahm. Prekwinkle was the CTU candidate against Lightfoot. Johnson is the current CTU candidate. And remember, Vallas did significantly better in the first round with Hispanics than Johnson and all polling shows Hispanics prefer Vallas.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 2:59 PM

Argh, that's disappointing.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:00 PM

It feels like momentum has been shifting in favor of Johnson the past couple of weeks, Chuy endorsing him seems to only confirm that.

I saw a new poll out showing Johnson had an advantage of 46% to Vallas' 44% with 10% of voters remaining undecided. Right-wing endorsements from people like Ken Griffin seem to be hurting Vallas' chances as the run-off draws closer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:09 PM

Yeah, I thought Vallas had the momentum, but now I'm starting to worry. Last night's debate had Johnson moving away from certain tactics (borderline accusing Vallas as being racist, calling him an extreme republican, etc, etc), and is trying to move towards other tactics.

Johnson just looks so weak on the public safety front in these debates. Not to say we shouldn't invest in mental health more, but I'm with Vallas in terms of getting more police in the community to tamp things down.

On the CTA, the "security" they have hired is a fucking joke. They are young people hired to basically stand around on the train. They usually are socializing with each other, and I have doubts they would do anything if a major issue actually broke out on the train. One day I saw a crazy screaming dude walk right onto the CTA Blue line with them standing around and essentially doing nothing.

Johnson caters to the woke progressives of the North Side, and it's a shame to see Garcia throw his support to Johnson. Then again though.... Garcia is a cog in the machine, and Johnson has the CTU endorsing him.... so.... I guess it makes sense.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:14 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Yeah, I thought Vallas had the momentum, but now I'm starting to worry. Last night's debate had Johnson moving away from certain tactics (borderline accusing Vallas as being racist, calling him an extreme republican, etc, etc), and is trying to move towards other tactics.

Johnson just looks so weak on the public safety front in these debates. Not to say we shouldn't invest in mental health more, but I'm with Vallas in terms of getting more police in the community to tamp things down.

On the CTA, the "security" they have hired is a fucking joke. They are young people hired to basically stand around on the train. They usually are socializing with each other, and I have doubts they would do anything if a major issue actually broke out on the train. One day I saw a crazy screaming dude walk right onto the CTA Blue line with them standing around and essentially doing nothing.

Johnson caters to the woke progressives of the North Side, and it's a shame to see Garcia throw his support to Johnson. Then again though.... Garcia is a cog in the machine, and Johnson has the CTU endorsing him.... so.... I guess it makes sense.
Chicago is fucked if the CTU has a puppet like Johnson in charge. If he's elected, I'll take comfort in the fact that I foresee him fucking the City over royally that he'll hopefully be a one-term mayor, like Lightfoot.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:39 PM
BANNED

This is going to be a very close election

It might matter how the weather is on Election Day
Even though votes are already trickling in.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Chicago is fucked if the CTU has a puppet like Johnson in charge. If he's elected, I'll take comfort in the fact that I foresee him fucking the City over royally that he'll hopefully be a one-term mayor, like Lightfoot.
Two horrible one term mayors in a row is no better than one horrible two term mayor. The city is knocked down right now. I'm worried what another term of incompetence will do.

Vallas has myriad faults but at least he can steer the ship.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post
It feels like momentum has been shifting in favor of Johnson the past couple of weeks, Chuy endorsing him seems to only confirm that.

I saw a new poll out showing Johnson had an advantage of 46% to Vallas' 44% with 10% of voters remaining undecided. Right-wing endorsements from people like Ken Griffin seem to be hurting Vallas' chances as the run-off draws closer.
That poll is from a leftwing interest group and only done by text message. The only two independent polls show Vallas ahead. That said, this will be closer then it should be.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post

Eh, I wouldn't trust the polls which aren't exactly independent. The election will be pretty close but Vallas is still probably barely up.

On the Chuy front, I have a Mexican coworker say something interesting after the first round of voting "The fact that Chuy wasn't able to get a way higher percentage in the Mexican areas speaks volumes."

Good endorsement to have for Johnson (fairly expected..) but I think anyone believing the Hispanic vote is a lock because of this is headed down a slippery slope. Probably will steer some undecideds though.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Eh, I wouldn't trust the polls which aren't exactly independent. The election will be pretty close but Vallas is still probably barely up.

On the Chuy front, I have a Mexican coworker say something interesting after the first round of voting "The fact that Chuy wasn't able to get a way higher percentage in the Mexican areas speaks volumes."

Good endorsement to have for Johnson (fairly expected..) but I think anyone believing the Hispanic vote is a lock because of this is headed down a slippery slope. Probably will steer some undecideds though.
If Vallas can get 47% at least or 50% of the diverse group of Hispanics the election will go Vallas.

Vallas has a good portion of the general concept of the Asians voters in Chicago I know and work with. Asians are very diverse ad do not vote en block.
But in general they will lean more Vallas than expected if they are really interested in voting hard.

The Forgot about diverse Asians from everywhere [ Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Indians, Pakistanis are being overlooked.] in this election.

If they really go out and vote I see them voting 70% Vallas

But are they a large enough of a group to go out en mass?

But just like this Hispanic vote

It's not a block.

It's very diverse.

But in general, they should and will lean Vallas. IMO

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post

Yeah, that is very worrisome.

Most of those lakeside liberals are not generational Chicagoland people. Lots of new grads in new jobs in nice apartments.

But would follow and endorsement of a Burnie sanders and Elisabeth Warren that are national figures.

Biden did not endorse anyone, nor should I think he should, this is local.

left wing radicals that are national should not endorse any mayor candidates of global USA cities and in part effect the lives of 6 million suburban people in the process and stay away from our local elections.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:23 PM

The "good" thing about Johnson is that he's been walking back some of the insane taxes he proposed that would definitely be regressive. I'm sure some still exist, but hopefully on some of those walk backs he'd keep his word if he's elected.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 8:13 PM

Jesse Jackson has announced his endorsement for Brandon Johnson

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 6:56 PM

Was just out volunteering for Vallas. It was very cold and my hands hurt a bit at the end but it was worth it and I'll be back tomorrow.

I wish we lived in a world where Johnson's policies can work at a city level but we don't: Companies can't practically move out the US. Companies can direct jobs & investment away from Chicago, and with it, the tax base that supports public services, social programs, and, ironically, pensions. Johnson also lacks any experience running large government entities while Vallas has it in spades. Experience matters & we should have learned that by now. Running the City of Chicago should not be your first management job.

I say this as a person who volunteered for Obama, has voted Democrat my entire life, and would probably vote for Johnson for national office (his policies might work at a national level). Johnson should run for US House, not mayor of a city with a ~$35 billion unfunded pension obligation.

Had a convo with one of the campaign staff. Vallas has the advantage in funding and broad based appeal. He's at a major disadvantage in ground game as the CTU has a ready made army of door pounders. This election is existential in Chicago continuing to be a place that attracts jobs and investment along with all it supports. My fear is Johnson wins on ground game.

If you love this city like I think most folks on this forum do, I'd strongly encourage you to go out and volunteer or find some other way to do more this time around than just vote.

Last edited by ebitdadada; Mar 18, 2023 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
Was just out volunteering for Vallas. It was very cold and my hands hurt a bit at the end but it was worth it and I'll be back tomorrow.

I wish we lived in a world where Johnson's policies can work at a city level but we don't: Companies can't practically move out the US. Companies can direct jobs & investment away from Chicago, and with it, the tax base that supports public services, social programs, and, ironically, pensions. Johnson also lacks any experience running large government entities while Vallas has it in spades. Experience matters & we should have learned that by now. Running the City of Chicago should not be your first management job.

I say this as a person who volunteered for Obama, has voted Democrat my entire life, and would probably vote for Johnson for national office (his policies might work at a national level). Johnson should run for US House, not mayor of a city with a ~$35 billion unfunded pension obligation.

Had a convo with one of the campaign staff. Vallas has the advantage in funding and broad based appeal. He's at a major disadvantage in ground game as the CTU has a ready made army of door pounders. This election is existential in Chicago continuing to be a place that attracts jobs and investment along with all it supports. My fear is Johnson wins on ground game.

If you love this city like I think most folks on this forum do, I'd strongly encourage you to go out and volunteer or find some other way to do more this time around than just vote.
This is what I've been saying as well. Johnson's whole campaign seems to be predicated on the idea that people and companies are clamoring for a chance to move to or stay in Chicago, and will pay anything to do it. As you said, a candidate like Johnson is better off at the federal level. Local elections need boring centrists that can work within the existing framework of society to actual get things done that are going to have immediate impact. I am a progressive person in just about every way, but that doesn't mean being beholden to our ideology even if it means tanking the city. Johnson's plans just won't work in this reality.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
This is what I've been saying as well. Johnson's whole campaign seems to be predicated on the idea that people and companies are clamoring for a chance to move to or stay in Chicago, and will pay anything to do it. As you said, a candidate like Johnson is better off at the federal level. Local elections need boring centrists that can work within the existing framework of society to actual get things done that are going to have immediate impact. I am a progressive person in just about every way, but that doesn't mean being beholden to our ideology even if it means tanking the city. Johnson's plans just won't work in this reality.
There are a lot of people and companies who do move here (as we know), but the thing many have learned from COVID is that companies have no issues these days establishing new hubs elsewhere (not a Chicago thing but just in general in the US). There is a point where the taxation is going to work against you. From what I've heard, Johnson is realizing that some of what he's proposing is just that. That's good, but he's not realizing that some others are yet. He could also just pull a Lightfoot and just be saying a lot of things just to get elected. Common in politics. He also cannot do everything himself. City Council still has to pass this stuff.

Either way, I agree with a lot (not all) of the social things he says but it's weird that people believe money grows on trees. You cannot just keep taxing people and expect them to be OK with it, especially in the US. I am totally pro "root causes" of all issues but to me it's truly weird that people aren't totally true root causes against the issue of being taxed *too much*.

I don't even think Vallas is that good, but to me he's probably the least likely person to completely cause a bunch of business and people to leave. His track record isn't exactly stellar either but I feel the same way as others. I might be temped to vote for Johnson for something like a Rep, but not mayor.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 3:31 PM

Buckner was my guy but sadly his campaign's only momentum was bike nerds. He is a social progressive but also on multiple occasions stated that he's pro business and showed he understands you can't tax the shit out of people and businesses and expect great things here. His key, just like Vallas, had to do with growing the city to 3M+ people instead of loads of new tax.

Buckner and Sawyer are a hell of a lot more similar to Vallas than some realize. One endorsed Vallas while the other endorsed Johnson, though.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 4:31 PM

I voted for Buckner even though I knew I would be the minority.

But I'm really disappointed on how there was little (if any) discussion on economics policy, especially when the solution to many of the city problems is the expand the economy. There needed to be conversation about how the city can add more quality jobs, creating new industries and expanding on already viable ones, and moving more people into the city.

I think the major problem is that the political community is too complacent about its economic standing, and it established a culture that resists thinking outside the box, where it's a strength to die on a hill. Therefore, they pander to how it constituents think the city operates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest