HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #22681  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 4:11 AM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I also thought it was reminiscent of a collage with all the different towers mixed together and indistinguishable from one another. Like a scaled up version of the optical illusion from the Calgary photo I shared. Lots of different textures too.
I didn't get that because I'm very familiar with the view, but that's interesting.
     
     
  #22682  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 5:18 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
podiums filling space between mandatory property line setbacks are unnecessary in that photo. OG planning polices
     
     
  #22683  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 12:03 AM
urbandreamer's Avatar
urbandreamer urbandreamer is offline
recession proof
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,656
Going through my road trip photos, I had an excellent lunch above Vancouver
https://imgur.com/a/WrEinuv
Earlier, I met Hank the Heron at Spanish Banks - apparently he unsuccessfully tried to mate a few year's ago and since has stuck around here, very tame. He walked up to me and let me pet him.
https://imgur.com/a/n4CfqF8
Metrotown skyline from Deer Lake - "Ontario in Vancouver" because it's the closest vibe to rural Ontario in GVRD
https://imgur.com/a/r3T85vc
My mother didn't recognize her childhood view
https://imgur.com/a/ohSMXc7
Coincidentally, I photographed this babe on her 50th birthday
https://imgur.com/a/bWsl6un

Last edited by urbandreamer; Mar 4, 2023 at 12:24 AM.
     
     
  #22684  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 2:40 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
  #22685  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 3:29 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
     
     
  #22686  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 3:33 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Skyline really looking great from that angle!
__________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw
Don't ask people not to debate a topic. Just stop making debatable assertions. Problem solved.
     
     
  #22687  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 5:59 PM
davidivivid davidivivid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ville de Québec City
Posts: 3,075
__________________
"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks" Joe E. Lewis
     
     
  #22688  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 11:37 PM
TheGreatestX TheGreatestX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 554
     
     
  #22689  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:34 AM
Monolith's Avatar
Monolith Monolith is offline
Pacific Breeze
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern British Columbia
Posts: 1,234
     
     
  #22690  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 1:38 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
The developers (and REITs that renovate older apartment buildings) need to learn to K.I.S.S. Theres just way too much going on with the haphazardly placed spandrel, windows, aluminum wallpaper pattern, busy paint job etc.
__________________
Supporter of Bill 23
     
     
  #22691  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 1:41 PM
LFC LFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 889
     
     
  #22692  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:21 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,721
Kelowna looks big in that shot. Way bigger than when I last lived there (1994)
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #22693  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:22 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Rare view from the observation deck in Hamilton's tallest building, Landmark Place...


source


source

The observation deck was abandoned years ago, but recently renovated and converted into a sky lounge for the building's residents.
cool. I had no idea that Hamilton once had an observation deck.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #22694  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:31 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
     
     
  #22695  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:37 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
cool. I had no idea that Hamilton once had an observation deck.

That goes for me as well. I've never seen pictures of the interior of that building.


And Martin Mtl are those bridge pylons coming down, or are they for the new metro line?
     
     
  #22696  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:06 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
That goes for me as well. I've never seen pictures of the interior of that building.


And Martin Mtl are those bridge pylons coming down, or are they for the new metro line?
It’s what remains of the old Champlain bridge, so they are coming down.
     
     
  #22697  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:20 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is a river.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #22698  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:42 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
That goes for me as well. I've never seen pictures of the interior of that building.
I don't know if that observation level has ever been open to the public. I'd love it if it was, but we have a number of pretty terrific outdoor public observation points along the escarpment edge that are easy to get to.

The building has had some exterior renos, and presumably interior too aside from the lounge. I looked into renting there in the mid-2000s, but it had a bad bed-bug reputation. Typical 1970s apartments, but I was mostly interested in having a view!

The exterior renos have not done much to its aesthetic. All that concrete needs to be clad in something decent... but I'm not sure how much it would actually help.
     
     
  #22699  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:46 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
It’s what remains of the old Champlain bridge, so they are coming down.
And the REM is on the new Samuel-de Champlain Bridge.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
     
     
  #22700  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 12:12 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Rare view from the observation deck in Hamilton's tallest building, Landmark Place...


source


source

The observation deck was abandoned years ago, but recently renovated and converted into a sky lounge for the building's residents.
I went up there once.

Once.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:57 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.