HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 1:38 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

This news changes nothing for us. We were not going to get Amazon and we still aren't. We have plenty of other economic driving factors going on to even bother with Amazon.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 3:42 AM

Well I personally want this to go away forever and refuse to post regarding this news!! Oh wait...I just did...:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 4:21 AM

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 10:37 PM

Corporate welfare needs to stop. At all levels of government. The people working these new jobs won't get 1 penny of a break, and are the ones who will be picking up the tax burdens, along with everyone else.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Corporate welfare needs to stop. At all levels of government. The people working these new jobs won't get 1 penny of a break, and are the ones who will be picking up the tax burdens, along with everyone else.
Damn right.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:47 PM

Amazon Pulls Out of Planned New York City Campus:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/n...gtype=Homepage

They actually did it... Wow!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:51 PM
クラブトクヨ

Wow, surprised!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:24 PM
Resident Moron

Looks like they aren't planning on re-opening the search.

I could see them taking a chunk up near the domain and adding 3-4k jobs in Austin over the next few years and do the same elsewhere.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:51 PM

[deleted]

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Looks like they aren't planning on re-opening the search.

I could see them taking a chunk up near the domain and adding 3-4k jobs in Austin over the next few years and do the same elsewhere.
I don't think it's quite clear what they mean by that. Is there anything more to "search" for? They have that info/data already.

They are going to want to put those 25k jobs somewhere and will probably use what they already gathered in their "search" to decide what they want to do. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it in 3-4k chunks around the country though.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:15 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I don't think it's quite clear what they mean by that. Is there anything more to "search" for? They have that info/data already.

They are going to want to put those 25k jobs somewhere and will probably use what they already gathered in their "search" to decide what they want to do. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it in 3-4k chunks around the country though.
That's exactly what I am guessing at. Less opposition to a single building or buildings in a city and a decent % increase in the workforce.

Like Austin isn't pissed Facebook and Google are expanding because they didn't just try and increase the city population by .5% in one fell swoop.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:02 PM

I’d imagine if some 20K jobs are now going to be dispersed across satellite offices in multiple cities, Austin will see some of that windfall. If anything, this could be good news for The Republic or 6 X Guad, as Amazon would maybe be a contender to sign a lease there. If Salesforce is indeed eyeing The Republic, we could maybe see a whole new tower out of this - I.e. what happened with Parsley and 300 Colorado.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:27 PM

Amazon did pre-lease about half of Domain 10 this week.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:56 PM

Business Journals is quoting an Amazon Spokesman:

Quote:
Spokesman Adam Sedo confirmed in an email to the Business Journals that the 25,000 jobs planned for New York will be spread among these cities or metropolitan areas: Atlanta, Austin, Boston, California's Bay Area, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, San Diego, Toronto and Vancouver.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...967&j=86683471

If the quote holds true, the 17 cities will each get close to 1.5K jobs on average. Austin is their 5th largest Tech hub among those cities, so we stand a good chance of getting more than 1.5K jobs. But things are so good right now, it doesn't really matter. I thought the HQ2 nonsense was over, but it continues.

Last edited by The ATX; Feb 15, 2019 at 7:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 3:06 AM
World Traveler

^ 1.5k jobs is still good, if it happens, and would be easier to absorb than 50k. Who knows what will happen, of course... I thought this was all over also.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:20 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

This was the most anti-climactic ending of a business expansion that I can think of. A total waste of time. You know they could have done this very action from the very beginning rather than the 3 ring circus the search ultimately became.

Amazon officials:
"Well we made such hype about a city winning a giant second HQ but decided to split it in two. Now we are just gonna spread half of the 50K across 17 cities in the U.S and Canada! Such fun!!"

Let the memes begin!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
This was the most anti-climactic ending of a business expansion that I can think of. A total waste of time. You know they could have done this very action from the very beginning rather than the 3 ring circus the search ultimately became.

Amazon officials:
"Well we made such hype about a city winning a giant second HQ but decided to split it in two. Now we are just gonna spread half of the 50K across 17 cities in the U.S and Canada! Such fun!!"

Let the memes begin!
And during the mess, Bezos himself became tabloid fodder. This has not been Amazon's finest hour.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 11:15 AM

More on Amazon and corporate welfare...

Amazon made an $11.2bn profit in 2018 but paid no federal tax

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...5dF3gV5BDZPUL4

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 1:59 PM

Amazon to add 800 jobs in Austin

"Adding to its already significant Austin presence, retail giant Amazon.com will add 800 tech-focused jobs at its hub in North Austin, company representatives told the American-Statesman.

New employees will fill a 145,000-square-foot space Amazon has leased on four floors at Domain 10, a 15-story tower being built at the Domain, the North Austin business, shopping and restaurant development. Amazon’s new office will open next year, with hiring expected to take place over “the next several years,” the company said.

Seattle-based Amazon already employs more than 6,600 workers in the Austin area, including more than 1,000 corporate-level staff members, as well as more than 3,000 at a warehouses in San Marcos and an additional 2,600 through its ownership of Austin-based Whole Foods Market."

snip

"Amazon’s Austin’s growth is part of an effort set in motion years ago and not related to the company’s recent pullout of a planned headquarters site in New York, Leeper said. Amazon in November selected New York and Northern Virginia for major headquarters hubs before deciding in February to cancel its New York project amid political and public backlash.

Amazon said then that the 25,000 jobs it had planned for New York would be spread out throughout its 17 corporate locations in the U.S. and Canada, including Austin. Whether that means additional hiring beyond the Domain 10 plan in Austin is not yet clear, but the current Austin expansion is not tied to the New York withdrawal, Leeper said."

snip

"Regardless of the second headquarters competition, Leeper said, Amazon always planned to grow its Austin site. The company opened its first corporate office here in 2015 and has steadily grown its presence. Its new location will be an extension of those plans, Leeper said. Amazon signed a lease for Domain 10 late last year."

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...l-add-800-jobs

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 6:53 PM

In the end, maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

Amazon Pauses Second Phase of HQ2 Development With No New Start Date

https://www.costar.com/article/17365...new-start-date

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin