HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #45081  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 4:43 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,332
-6C and sunny in Moncton at noontime, going up to -3C later this afternoon.

There's some shite moving in overnight, initially snow then transitioning to rain tomorrow. There will only be 3-5 cm of accumulation. After this, we are expecting a calm spell with no storms expected in the 14 day forecast period.

Come to think of it, we really haven't had a nor'easter yet this year. There was one ice storm which was a bit of a pain in the 🞵🞵🞵, but that has been pretty much it.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
     
     
  #45082  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:05 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancredi View Post
You wrote something very interesting; climates like that of San Diego (and Palermo) may appeal to many people because they tend to be warm, there are no negative temperatures, there are no snowfalls, blizzards, etc., but they are boring climates because especially in summer for long periods of time it does not happen nothing, always sun, heat, clear skies, no rain. The only exception is strong heat waves with temperatures above 40'. Winter is more dynamic but there is no "subzero factor" with all the connected phenomena. More boring than a long church mass at Christmas
This is very insightful.

I used to long for a San Diego type of climate, but have since found myself appreciating the changes in the weather, both seasonal and in-season.

When summer is over in Halifax, I actually really enjoy the crisp autumn days and find myself looking forward to snow. Then after a couple of months of that I am taking joy in noticing all of the incremental changes that are leading us to spring, and rejoice when I see the first buds appearing on trees, or sprouts of early plants starting to appear. The snow, rain, wind and fog can be really dynamic and despite offering some challenges, can be really enjoyable when you realize how special it actually is. Definitely not boring.

Additionally, when I think about it, my childhood was really enhanced by winter activities, and some of my best childhood memories involve skating and playing hockey on a frozen lake, tobogganing down a snowy hill, etc. I can't imagine not having that as part of my experience, TBH.

So I totally get your enthusiasm for the multitude of weather conditions that we get. At this point, I believe I would become quite bored of the daily sameness of some climates.
     
     
  #45083  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:20 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,525
A beautiful, sunny day with crisp breezes this morning in Halifax. Currently -1C with relative humidity in the low 30% range. Just a nice day, and I couldn't help but notice it felt (and smelled) like an early spring day when I was outside earlier.

They are calling for around 2cm of snow tonight, but it will be gone tomorrow once it turns to rain and heads toward 10C.

Our outlier 'easy winter' continues...
     
     
  #45084  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:27 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,855
A lot less snow on the ground when I got back from Kitimat last night. even after the light snow that fell earlier in the day.

Kitimat and Terrace were under heavy snow fall advisories again as I got to my flight home. There was heavy snow and rain on Monday when I flew in and rain. some localized flooding as well. The LNG site was under a flash flood watch. They are still under a heavy snow fall warning, and I got an update from the site that busses to the airport are suspended for the morning.

Looking like a nice weekend here. +5 through Monday then down to a high of -8 by mid week. Im in the mountains on Saturday and there is a rain snow mix for that area but +2.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #45085  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:17 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is online now
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I was out yesterday and noticed a small clump of yellow Crocus starting to bloom already because of the mild winter here. Not unheard of in early February, but definitely early. Maple farms are also already up and running here, which is very early. Another mild day today, with a high of 12C expected from EC, AccuWeather is forecasting 16C for today.

It's up to 17 degrees in Ohio, it has just passed 10 degrees here on the north side of Lake Erie. The rain has ended and the sun is even poking out. We got 15mm of rain this morning.

My spring bulbs are sprouting, but I think it will be a while before they bloom. Other than that, I have a few scraggly dandelions in the lawn. We're still in the coldest two weeks of the year, so full spring is a ways off

Crocus or snow drops, they're all mixed together


The most decrepit but determined dandelion
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTO • SAN FRANCISCO • ROCHESTER, NY • HAMILTON • GODERICH, ON • WHEATLEY, ON • COBOURG, ON • LAS VEGAS • LOS ANGELES
     
     
  #45086  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:26 PM
BradFromTO's Avatar
BradFromTO BradFromTO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
We're still in the coldest two weeks of the year, so full spring is a ways off
That's the one downside of this great stretch of weather, it's going to cause unrealistic expectations, lol. This would be above average weather for even March. In the GTA, real spring doesn't really start up until mid-April at best.
     
     
  #45087  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:52 PM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario/Colchester, Ontario
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
It's up to 17 degrees in Ohio, it has just passed 10 degrees here on the north side of Lake Erie. The rain has ended and the sun is even poking out. We got 15mm of rain this morning.

My spring bulbs are sprouting, but I think it will be a while before they bloom. Other than that, I have a few scraggly dandelions in the lawn. We're still in the coldest two weeks of the year, so full spring is a ways off

Crocus or snow drops, they're all mixed together


The most decrepit but determined dandelion
We’re up to 14C now, but that’s probably the highest it will go today before the cold front comes through.
__________________
Windsor Ontario, Canada's southern most city!
     
     
  #45088  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 11:42 PM
Tancredi's Avatar
Tancredi Tancredi is offline
Free Palestine & Ukraine
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Italy (Sicily, Palermo)
Posts: 1,817
I don't remember where, but somewhere I read that there are people, who love climate variability, who go to visit Halifax for its very variable climate (like that of the entire Canadian Atlantic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This is very insightful.

I used to long for a San Diego type of climate, but have since found myself appreciating the changes in the weather, both seasonal and in-season.

When summer is over in Halifax, I actually really enjoy the crisp autumn days and find myself looking forward to snow. Then after a couple of months of that I am taking joy in noticing all of the incremental changes that are leading us to spring, and rejoice when I see the first buds appearing on trees, or sprouts of early plants starting to appear. The snow, rain, wind and fog can be really dynamic and despite offering some challenges, can be really enjoyable when you realize how special it actually is. Definitely not boring.

Additionally, when I think about it, my childhood was really enhanced by winter activities, and some of my best childhood memories involve skating and playing hockey on a frozen lake, tobogganing down a snowy hill, etc. I can't imagine not having that as part of my experience, TBH.

So I totally get your enthusiasm for the multitude of weather conditions that we get. At this point, I believe I would become quite bored of the daily sameness of some climates.
__________________
The happiest time in the past of humanity? The Würm glaciation!
     
     
  #45089  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 8:15 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
After some early morning showers the rest of the day was dry, cloudy and calm.

Thursday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 8 C, the low was 6 C.





False Creek, Vancouver, Feb.9 '23, my pics


...



...

...

     
     
  #45090  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:27 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,332
At least there’s some sun.

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #45091  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:44 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This is very insightful.

I used to long for a San Diego type of climate, but have since found myself appreciating the changes in the weather, both seasonal and in-season.

When summer is over in Halifax, I actually really enjoy the crisp autumn days and find myself looking forward to snow. Then after a couple of months of that I am taking joy in noticing all of the incremental changes that are leading us to spring, and rejoice when I see the first buds appearing on trees, or sprouts of early plants starting to appear. The snow, rain, wind and fog can be really dynamic and despite offering some challenges, can be really enjoyable when you realize how special it actually is. Definitely not boring.

Additionally, when I think about it, my childhood was really enhanced by winter activities, and some of my best childhood memories involve skating and playing hockey on a frozen lake, tobogganing down a snowy hill, etc. I can't imagine not having that as part of my experience, TBH.

So I totally get your enthusiasm for the multitude of weather conditions that we get. At this point, I believe I would become quite bored of the daily sameness of some climates.
I find that I start to get weary and tired at the end of the summer, which often tends to be on the hot and humid side here. The steamy weather, which everyone relishes earlier in the season, also seems to make people more testy in general come late August.

I also like the gradual change to cooler weather in September and October. Though November is often just 🞵🞵🞵🞵.

By March and April though I am definitely ready for spring.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
     
     
  #45092  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 12:02 PM
Tancredi's Avatar
Tancredi Tancredi is offline
Free Palestine & Ukraine
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Italy (Sicily, Palermo)
Posts: 1,817
Even in Palermo there is no sun ...... I'm happy, a bit 'of winter!
For 3 days Sicily has been at the center of a strong cyclonic depression and the sky is always full of clouds. In Palermo it rains but lightly. On the contrary, in eastern Sicily there were universal floods, in some cities more than 400-500mm fell in two days and it continues to rain. On the mountains at medium and high altitudes a lot of snow falls. Today in Palermo the city recorded a maximum temperature above 10' but yesterday and the day before yesterday the temperatures did not exceed 9'

A live webcam from the roof of the Palermo cathedral
https://youtube.com/live/29Yr0X4RS18?si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
At least there’s some sun.

__________________
The happiest time in the past of humanity? The Würm glaciation!
     
     
  #45093  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:58 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,332
-2C and light freezing drizzle in Moncton at noontime. Very messy out.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
     
     
  #45094  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:20 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,525
"Slush" is the word of the day in Halifax. Currently +4C with drizzle/fog, last night's snow is in the process of melting - actually most of the way there already.
     
     
  #45095  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:59 PM
RHINO's Avatar
RHINO RHINO is offline
Project manger
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: KAMLOOPS
Posts: 857
On our way to a sunshine filled +10c / +50F in Kamloops B.C.
__________________
Trudeau HAS dragged us all into ruin.
     
     
  #45096  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:36 PM
TownGuy's Avatar
TownGuy TownGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cobourg, ON
Posts: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
It's up to 17 degrees in Ohio, it has just passed 10 degrees here on the north side of Lake Erie. The rain has ended and the sun is even poking out. We got 15mm of rain this morning.

My spring bulbs are sprouting, but I think it will be a while before they bloom. Other than that, I have a few scraggly dandelions in the lawn. We're still in the coldest two weeks of the year, so full spring is a ways off

Crocus or snow drops, they're all mixed together


The most decrepit but determined dandelion
We're behind you obviously, but look what I noticed coming up in the garden today. Not sure if they're snowdrops or crocus.

     
     
  #45097  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 7:54 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is online now
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
We're behind you obviously, but look what I noticed coming up in the garden today. Not sure if they're snowdrops or crocus.

They're getting a nice head start

I spread some dead leaves around mine, just a bit of protection in case it gets really cold again
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTO • SAN FRANCISCO • ROCHESTER, NY • HAMILTON • GODERICH, ON • WHEATLEY, ON • COBOURG, ON • LAS VEGAS • LOS ANGELES
     
     
  #45098  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 7:58 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is online now
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,761
Partly sunny and 5 degrees today. Low was +2.2 overnight and yesterday's high was 14.0.

Lake ice is melting quickly



Wave action piled some broken pieces along the shore


This ice didn't last long, it's mostly still clear (clear == new ice, old lake ice is grey)

__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTO • SAN FRANCISCO • ROCHESTER, NY • HAMILTON • GODERICH, ON • WHEATLEY, ON • COBOURG, ON • LAS VEGAS • LOS ANGELES
     
     
  #45099  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 10:39 PM
TownGuy's Avatar
TownGuy TownGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cobourg, ON
Posts: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
They're getting a nice head start

I spread some dead leaves around mine, just a bit of protection in case it gets really cold again
That's a good idea. Also noticed there is a Robin building a nest. I feel like everything is jumping the 🞵🞵🞵 a little bit!
     
     
  #45100  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 10:46 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,332
Could be a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Valentine's here, but this is the first storm since Fall 2019 that I could not possibly care less about because I won't even be in the country



__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.