HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 8:19 PM
Space Magi

PSA: due to the closure of the library because of a sewer issue, Bury the Rails (the Rio Grande Plan event) on Thursday has been moved to Woodbine Food Hall.

Video Link

Hope to see you all there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurich
Austin has thousands of high paying tech jobs downtown who want to also live there. They have Zilker Park which is massive, 18+ miles of hike and bike trail and more parks all along the river, UT, the Capital... and on and one. Until Salt Lake pays incentives to have a Meta, Google, Microsoft relocate or build a massive presence downtown, SLC will pale in comparison. If SLC really did burry the rail downtown and created a park on top, or if they design / build some sort of long/wide trail system, add a massive food hall, more restaurants and start building condos, I think downtown will be amazing. I know its controversial, so I don't want to open a can of worms, but if they do build the Gondola up Little Cottonwood and there was a light rails or trail system that connected to it from downtown, I think that would also be a game changer.
SLC has plans for greenways and grand boulevards but these have been slow to materialize. Folsom trail and 9 Line are promising but the trail network is definitely incomplete. I agree that the Rio Grande Plan would certainly open up a lot of new green space and trail opportunities.

Forget the gondola, a cog railway that is compatible with TRAX would be remarkable. Can you imagine trains from downtown straight to Snowbird and Alta?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
PSA: due to the closure of the library because of a sewer issue, Bury the Rails (the Rio Grande Plan event) on Thursday has been moved to Woodbine Food Hall.

Video Link

Hope to see you all there!

SLC has plans for greenways and grand boulevards but these have been slow to materialize. Folsom trail and 9 Line are promising but the trail network is definitely incomplete. I agree that the Rio Grande Plan would certainly open up a lot of new green space and trail opportunities.

Forget the gondola, a cog railway that is compatible with TRAX would be remarkable. Can you imagine trains from downtown straight to Snowbird and Alta?
I couldn't agree with you more regarding the cog railway. IMO, that turns Salt Lake into a world class city on par with places like Interlaken Switzerland, where you load your bike and take a train all the way to the top of the Jungfrau. However, I see the flip side where I just skied Alta and it had a very laid back - undeveloped feel which is so difficult to find.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 10:11 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I will be attending with my wife. We have three friends in the city council. We'll be chewing their ears off to endorse this plan.

It would be nice to meet a few of you.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 12:23 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
I will be attending with my wife. We have three friends in the city council. We'll be chewing their ears off to endorse this plan.

It would be nice to meet a few of you.
I'll see you all there!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 12:24 AM
Lahaina Strong

Intermountain Health's new branding.

I'm not super fond of the logo, looks like a tacky app. It'll be interesting to see how it looks on the side of a building.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 2:37 AM
Exit 298

The logo has nothing to do with health. It's just style for the sake of style, but serves no purpose.

Like a soft serve machine serving neon sherbet.

The old logo offered some meaning. It was centered on a humanoid figure. The surrounding wings(?) could represent the team working to provide care, like a cocoon.

----

Comparing it with the top health care systems in the USA:

HCA uses a cross -- a symbol of the original healthcare-focus some religions had

A healthcare cross...

Another healthcare cross...

Kaiser, with a more "secular" logo similar to IHC's old logo. Focusing on people. The sunlight making a nice touch.

And then were back to...

Whatever the heck this is.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 2:40 AM

It's a laughably bad logo, but fwiw, here is their reasoning behind the "style"

https://twitter.com/Intermountain/st...98252131704832

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 3:00 AM
They all float down here

Looks like a balloon animal or some shit.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Looks like a balloon animal or some shit.
Looks like the rainbow unicorn poop in the squatty potty commercial.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 2:43 PM
Space Magi

Curious about the status of the Greek Orthodox development. Anyone have an inside scoop there? Is that still happening? It's been almost 3 years since the big announcement.

With that and West Quarter, Astra, and Unico built out, 200 S is going to be a continuous urban street again.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 9:52 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Astra 1/23/23

Pic credited to u/UT_Dave on the subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Development...90r/astra_123/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 11:10 PM
They all float down here

Back to the MLB in SLC:

I think one area the city (and state) struggles in is proactive lobbying. I read an article today about how community leaders and business leaders in Nashville have put together a collective to get the MLB there (they've done the same in Portland and other cities). It really showcases how serious they are about advancing the idea.

And they've got some heavy hitters, even if one is an absolute piece of shit:

Alberto Gonzales, former Attorney General under Bush, is the chair.

Dave Stewart pitched for the A's for a good chunk of his career.

Eddie George, famous football player and Heisman winner.

There's not even a sniff of that here in SLC and why it's hard to take any idea of the MLB coming seriously.

I worry Salt Lake's current mayor has no interest in advancing anything like that and is too out to lunch on these ideas.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 12:05 AM

Amazing the progress Astra is making. Thanks as always Reeder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Astra 1/23/23

Pic credited to u/UT_Dave on the subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Development...90r/astra_123/

If any of you have a chance or are in the area of Alta Terra take a couple of photos for us. According to the Sugar House Council website, it's well under construction.

Updates - The Alta Terra Project - Sugar House District -
Under Construction

Update: https://www.sugarhousecouncil.org/co...tion-projects/
Quote:
This two-part project is now under construction with foundations completed, and the structure is rapidly taking shape on the south site. The north site has now been fully excavated and will soon begin installing foundations. Vehicle/pedestrian access is currently restricted to the east end of Ashton Ave. The sidewalk along the frontage of the south side property will be closed for safety due to the heavy truck and machinery traffic entering and leaving the project and adjacent staging area.

Taylor Anderson Reports:10-story building approved in Sugar House - Full Article @ BuildingSaltLake:
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/10-...EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

Quote:
January 27,2022, Taylor Anderson for BuildingSaltLake.com - The Planning Commission approved the second in a pair of buildings coming to the southern end of the Sugar House urban core.

The commission approved the Alta Terra building, which will continue the buildout of what is known formally as the neighborhood’s business district, but which should be recognized as the area with the densest housing outside Downtown.

Alta Terra would bring 228 homes in a 10-story building at 1121 East Ashton, immediately east of Fairmont Park. The building will include space for retail in its ground floor, and the building will top 100 feet total.

Its sibling will be built across Ashton, bringing another 118 homes in a 94-foot building on what had been a vacant surface parking lot. That project was separated for administrative reasons and has already been approved.

In all, the pair will bring 346 new homes of various sizes to the neighborhood, which has nearly 2,000 apartments under construction or very recently completed.
Note: The Alta Terra will be replacing a parking lot and single-story structures, including a large 24-Hour Fitness Gym.

Project Site

Site Plan

North Building Elevations & Landscape Plan

South Building Elevations & Landscape Plan

September 27, 2022

Alta Terra North building - the 24 hour fitness now fully demolished

Photo By Blah_Amazing

Last edited by delts145; Jan 25, 2023 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:25 PM

Just a reminder that the Rio Grande Plan event is TONIGHT!
Presentations will begin at 7:00pm at the Woodbine Food Hall, at 545 West 700 South.

This is the same location where Mayor Mendenhall mentioned the Rio Grande Plan TWICE in her State of the City address Tuesday night:
https://twitter.com/ChristianLenha4/...10378329149443

Come for the food, stay for the discussion, meet some new friends, and have a great time!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 6:59 PM

Rio Grand presentation tonight

Hope to see a lot of people on this thread there!!

I,ll be there!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:33 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 10:41 PM

Wow, Great photo update of the depot area! I used to live in those apartments at the Gateway mall over 14 years ago and Holy Jesus!; that area is completely different! Super bummed they demolished Bricks, though. So much music history at that venue. What a shame.

Hearing of talk about burying the rail lines in that area and I just gotta laugh out loud about that. That will never happen EVER for one reason: Union Pacific. Take it from someone who used to work at their HQ in Omaha and got to experience their corporate culture first hand. Good luck trying to get them to go along with that.....

Not to mention UPR hosts Amtrak's California Zephyr line on those tracks. Moreover, UPR owns the tracks in question and BNSF has haulage rights on these same tracks. Both UPR and BNSF have a duopoly on all freight rail lines including here in Utah. In other words, you would need huge sway with not only the railroad lobby, but also the federal transportation agency and Surface Transportation board for trackage rights, not to mention the decades of back and forth deal workings, environmental impact studies, public comment periods, and not to mention loads and loads of cash before one single bucket of earth is removed.

In my opinion, this is a pipe dream.

Last edited by SL,UT; Jan 26, 2023 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Just a reminder that the Rio Grande Plan event is TONIGHT!
Presentations will begin at 7:00pm at the Woodbine Food Hall, at 545 West 700 South.

This is the same location where Mayor Mendenhall mentioned the Rio Grande Plan TWICE in her State of the City address Tuesday night:
https://twitter.com/ChristianLenha4/...10378329149443

Come for the food, stay for the discussion, meet some new friends, and have a great time!
I'll be there!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 11:57 PM
Lahaina Strong

As requested: Alta Terra

Snow and clouds don't make for the best photography, but there is progress on the south (closer to I80)structure.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:36 AM

Will there be any kind of video of the Rio Grande event? I can't make it but I would love to still be able to watch it later.

Also, yeah the new IHC logo is laughably awful. What was wrong with the old one? Classic case of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West